Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The cargo/dog net config is pretty cool.

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by fire730 View Post
    Quick question before I decide to get a cargo cover - Does the retractor part of the cargo cover actually touch the back of the rear seats?

The reason I ask is because I have my sons car seat in the car and the tether strap goes over the top of the seat and hooks to the floor in the cargo area. I just want to make absolute sure it will work cause I swap car seats between cars pretty regularly.
    Yes, you'll need to release either the seat or the cargo cover to pass the hook through. The strap itself will fit between the two with problem.

I generally release the seat back because that way I can do everything from the rear side door. Releasing the seat back gives just enough extra room to hook on or release the rear strap without adjusting it.

My Cars
    e36M3, e39540iT, e12530i
    Quote Originally Posted by fire730 View Post
    Quick question before I decide to get a cargo cover - Does the retractor part of the cargo cover actually touch the back of the rear seats?

The reason I ask is because I have my sons car seat in the car and the tether strap goes over the top of the seat and hooks to the floor in the cargo area. I just want to make absolute sure it will work cause I swap car seats between cars pretty regularly.

Thanks.
    Hey man. Its super easy and quick. I swap car seats around also. There are 2 buttons on each side of the cargo net that release it. I just hit one button and it allows enough room to throw the car seat strap over the seat to the hook behind it. Its a nice feature and you can keep whatever is in back private if needed.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528it
    Oh man, I hope my car has the netting!
    ~Kelly Roy

2000 528iT
    2005 K1200s

My Cars
    z3
    Where does it mount on the lower side? In the footwell? Underneath the rear bench?

I love this thing on my M coupe...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi

On the back of each load cover are some locating 'panels' I'll call them. When you open your rear door, in front of the lower seat bench about 4 inches lower and on each side are two locating 'holders'. You simply slide the load cover so that the locating panels 'fit' into the 'holders'. Quick and easy! I would have got pictures but once you see it, you'll understand. You also mention M Coupe, I've no idea if the same feature is available on those!

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Yes it does. Though for the coupe there is no front of the rear seat option. My wife's Z3 coupe also has the net. I've been told the Z3s didn't get that option. The fun of owning a preproduction version.

/.randy

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    The only thing that irks me about the E39iT cover is that I'm a windows-down-roof-open guy, and at highway speeds the interior wind is enough to blow the cover off it's hooks at the back hatch so it will pop off and roll up while you're driving, and if you want it covered again later you have to re-do it. I've stared ad the little hook slots a handful of times trying to think of some clever way to lock the cover in there better but nothing easy has come to mind yet.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    M5,328i,3.0csi,635csi
    If you choose to buy a cross-bar with the cargo net, you also have to check and see whether your car comes with the hook up points up top, both on the division between the rear seat and cargo bay, and by the hand holders, on the ceiling behind the front seats. Otherwise, no use in buying a cross brace with the net.

My e39 did not come with it and from the top of my mind, i dont recall seeing the upper hook points on it. On my other e36 touring, it came with the net and therefore, has the hook points.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuddy View Post
    I used it on a trip from nj to georgia with an 80lb pit bull in the back(he was a rescue). While passing through maryland the song "jump around" came on pandora and the dog started flipping out.... needless to say we stopped at a walmart and picked up a crate for him lol
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    It's true, pit pulls are famously into Everlast. Even that Whitey Ford blues stuff.
    lololololol!

- - - Updated - - -

In the V70R, the cargo net is built into the seat. There is a plastic spring loaded cover on the seat. You pop that open and pull the net out. Then when done, it retracts back into the seat. Pretty darn cool.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    lololololol!
    Ha! Glad somebody got that joke, even if it took a few months.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Ha! Glad somebody got that joke, even if it took a few months.
    I don't get it, I'm like this;

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    I'm all like this:

2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

'Beer' isn't strong enough for me! I like the 40% and stronger stuff !!

Saying that though, I've heard there are some excellent quality, well produced and tasting American beers and ales etc. Anyone know of a website that lists and reviews them? next time I'm over (which should have been this week for SEMA 2014!!) I will have to sample some .. for research purposes of course !

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi,

'Beer' isn't strong enough for me! I like the 40% and stronger stuff !!

Saying that though, I've heard there are some excellent quality, well produced and tasting American beers and ales etc. Anyone know of a website that lists and reviews them? next time I'm over (which should have been this week for SEMA 2014!!) I will have to sample some .. for research purposes of course !

Cheers, Dennis!
    There's a lot of strong ales (not necessarily what you'd call a "Strong Ale" but an ale style... that is strong...) so definitely ABV is not a problem with the current crop of American 'craft' beers.

You have access to some good experience around here - if you make a trip definitely just ask up. It's like going to wine country - there's lots of good beers available coast to coast but you'll ideally want to get something great that is "local" to whereever you are. For example, Bell's if you're in Detriot, Six Point if you're in NYC/Brooklynn, Dogfish and Victory if you're in Philly/Delaware, Pretty Things, Slumbrew, Jack's Abbey in Boston, etc.

Having a 6-point Resin right now. Mmmmmmmm creaammmmyyyy....

2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2008 Honda Accord LX

The cargo/dog net config is pretty cool.

So let me get this straight- you're using the same piece of cargo/net equipment that you would use with the back seats still up? The guy with the tonneau cover and net that attaches behind the rear seats?

i'm a little like that Homer guy right now, probably haven't ingested enough breakfast beer to think straight.
    Last edited by baulert1; 10-31-2014 at 08:51 AM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by baulert1 View Post
    So let me get this straight- you're using the same piece of cargo/net equipment that you would use with the back seats still up? The guy with the tonneau cover and net that attaches behind the rear seats?

i'm a little like that Homer guy right now, probably haven't ingested enough breakfast beer to think straight.
    Yes that is it. It has 2 positions it can work in. If you move it down to the back seat, the net rolls out twice as far and hooks up on the ceiling in front also.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    You had to be a fan of hip hop in the 90's to get the joke. Jump Around was done by House of Pain. Whitey Ford(Everlast) was originally in House of Pain and then went off to do his own odd music genre thing. Which IMO was terrible.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    A music buddy of mine jammed w "Everlast" around about his Whitey Ford conversion period.. Said he was pretty fun to jam with (even if neither of us were buyin his CD's...) Thats why i have a bit of Everlast top of mind...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

I do remember House of Pain and the smash hit 'Jump Around' very well indeed, I've always loved good hip hop and that track smashed it worldwide. I vaguely recall him going off later to do his own thing but never followed up with what he was up to at all!

Thanks for the drinks suggestions! the same kinda thing happens here with regional drinks etc, I'll refer back to this thread if/when I'm in any of those cities !

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    540i6 540iT 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    In the V70R, the cargo net is built into the seat. There is a plastic spring loaded cover on the seat. You pop that open and pull the net out. Then when done, it retracts back into the seat. Pretty darn cool.
    The e34 Touring had this setup as well. The net being built into the seat. What was cool was that you had the option of dropping the 60% portion and raising it's net since the crossbar extended out of it. ~80% of your cargo capacity, most of the protection and could still carry a passanger or not have to remove a baby bucket.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Electricalbox View Post
    Picked up a ton of stuff earlier today and utilized it. Felt nice having the security that I wasn't going to get smacked in the back of the head if I had to brake hard.
    Yup, near priceless if one does alot of automotive DIY. If the object is heavy enough it may not be stopped, but it certainly will be slowed down.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MacLoGoS View Post
    I just picked up a used one on eBay for 125 shipped. I would think that's a fair price for used sets.
    Awesome...
    It is the one thing Gerta is woefully missing and i was hoping they weren't an arm/leg.

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing that irks me about the E39iT cover is that I'm a windows-down-roof-open guy, and at highway speeds the interior wind is enough to blow the cover off it's hooks at the back hatch so it will pop off and roll up while you're driving, and if you want it covered again later you have to re-do it. I've stared ad the little hook slots a handful of times trying to think of some clever way to lock the cover in there better but nothing easy has come to mind yet.
    That bothered me too in the e34. The Mazda seems more immune cause the slot is longer and horizontal not at an angle like the BM.

It's a little ghetto but might work is wrapping the post in a layer or two of electrical tape so the fit is tighter. Not perfect or permanent, but if trimmed cleanly might be unnoticable. On the mazda the plastic tip at the end is completely missing and a few wraps of duct tape is holding nicely.
    Last edited by paul p; 01-29-2015 at 12:18 PM.
    Hang up & Drive!
    Jerry .. 85 Toyo MR2 140K .. ( 20V wiring gremlins *grrrr* )
    Björn .. 03 BMW 540i///M 148K .. ( beat up allstar *oof* )
    Gerta .. 03 BMW 540iT&A 151K .. ( chain guide triage *shakes head* )
    Franz .. 96 BMW 318ti 207k .. ( the new, new daily *GRIN* )
    Wendy .. 20 Honda Refrigerator 28k .. ( for the wife and kids, has flappy paddles? *squint* )
    Resistance was Futile...

"Now, it takes me three months just to fix a door lock because .. crying babies" - rammstein

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by paul p View Post
    It's a little ghetto but might work is wrapping the post in a layer or two of electrical tape so the fit is tighter. Not perfect or permanent, but if trimmed cleanly might be unnoticable. On the mazda the plastic tip at the end is completely missing and a few wraps of duct tape is holding nicely.
    Hmmm. Don't like the 'lectric tape as it'll be gummy and shitty eventually but you gimme an idea. Maybe a wee bit of shrinkwrap tube over the post. That will be rubbery and stickier frickshun-wise too... hmmm... good collab brainstorm. Will try to remember to try that if I ever thaw out enough to work on the car again.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '99 528iTA Sport
    So i had known the cargo cover could be setup as a cargo/dog barrier but never actually tried it until today, had some time screwin around in the garage and cleaning up the cargo area so i tossed it in.

I actually totally didn't realize how the clips at the base of the backseat worked for that - the guy selling the car to me insisted those were for a childseat option and i never dug into it OR tried the cargo setup until now. Obv he was fullachit. Pretty cool deal. Not having a dog at the moment i prob wont use it, but hell maybe if i load up the back with small boxes to the roof or something... Cool to have the option...

I just figured this out a couple weeks ago. Pretty cool feature.
    1999 528iT Sport- 2/1999 Alpine White/Sandbeige
    2003 X5 3.0i Stahlgrau/Gray
    2001 330Ci Topazblau/Black
    1984 318i Balticblau/Black
    1995 525i Hellrot/Beige (brother's)
    2007 335i/6 Titansilber/Black (brother's)
    2004 X3 2.5i Titansilber/Gray M54B30 swapped (dad's) (Sold)
    2006 330i Alpine White/Black (Sold)
    ...and some Volvos and other stuff

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    Didn't think there was anything about the touring I didn't yet know about but this is one of them. Nice find.

When I first got my touring it took me a while to figure out that the glass hatch would pop open on it's own without the use of the entire hatch. Now the full hatch almost never gets used, and the glass feature is very handy. I'm amazed more SUVs don't have that feature, but I guess with power up/down, who needs it?
    2003 Ferrari Red M3 3.5L wagon // 2011 Montego Blue tri-turbo 335d wagon
    2012 Deep Sea Blue X5d // 2003 Orient Blue 330i wagon
    In progress/For Sale: 2003 Alpine White M3/ZHP wagon // 2003 Japan Red M3/ZHP wagon

My Cars
    '99 528iTA Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
    Didn't think there was anything about the touring I didn't yet know about but this is one of them. Nice find.

When I first got my touring it took me a while to figure out that the glass hatch would pop open on it's own without the use of the entire hatch. Now the full hatch almost never gets used, and the glass feature is very handy. I'm amazed more SUVs don't have that feature, but I guess with power up/down, who needs it?
    We never used the full tailgate when we had our Explorer.
    1999 528iT Sport- 2/1999 Alpine White/Sandbeige
    2003 X5 3.0i Stahlgrau/Gray
    2001 330Ci Topazblau/Black
    1984 318i Balticblau/Black
    1995 525i Hellrot/Beige (brother's)
    2007 335i/6 Titansilber/Black (brother's)
    2004 X3 2.5i Titansilber/Gray M54B30 swapped (dad's) (Sold)
    2006 330i Alpine White/Black (Sold)
    ...and some Volvos and other stuff

My Cars
    2003 BMW 525iT Sport
    Love the cargo net! We haul three dogs and a baby in our trips to see family so the net stays up most times! LOVE that thing!

Now I just wish I had the built in sun shades as the 6 month old is having a hard time when the sun shines!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast