Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subaru BRZ seat retrofit

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5

Subaru BRZ seat retrofit

Thought I'd share a photo of BRZ seats I just put in my car. It works, but barely fits. At the hinge they are much wider than the factory seats (I had powered sport seats) so they rub on the B pillar cover. Made brackets out of steel angle. I grabbed these cause they fit my skinny frame real nicely and have a mix of leather and alcantara. Dropped ~40 lbs too.

My Cars
    95 m3
    Some things, although they can be done, maybe shouldn't be done... :-/
    1995 OBD I Cosmos Black M3 - RIP: gone but not forgotten

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Dunno why but it just looks cheaper than the rest of the interior, and the e36 interior is pretty cheap.
    Last edited by CMG; 07-22-2014 at 12:24 PM.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    '99 M3 coupe
    Nice! I was wondering this swap myself.

I've driven several of those cars and really like those seats, 10 fold better then the vaders.

My Cars
    e36 M3 Supercharged
    God help you if you ever drop anything down that crack

My Cars
    E36
    I think they look good OP! Different style than most the E36 but I don't think it's a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
    God help you if you ever drop anything down that crack
    no worries:
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    98 M3
    Maybe it's just me, but I always thought the BRZ/FRS seats looked like cheap ebay seats... if I ever were to buy them, the seats would probably be the first thing to go. With that said, as long as they fit you nicely and you like the looks, AWESOME!!!

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    I didn't do this for looks (however I do like the way they look). Sears Point, or any track for that matter, is tough in stock leather seats. I had e46 m3 seats for a short while but that wasn't much better and hurt my back after 30 min of road tripping. The only reclining seats in Recaro and Sparco's lines that fit me as well as an FRS/BRZ was the Sportster CS but I'm not a millionaire.
    Last edited by Xevuhtess7; 07-22-2014 at 01:05 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Fabric instead of leather is a huge plus. There are a few oem fabric options other than the pricey and rare alcantara. How much were those seats anyway? Hopefully $200 max.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Wow. You don't approve of what I did, but that's fine. I didn't come here for that. Enjoy your hurricane alcantara interior, CMG. I'm enjoying my seats.

At least Purie got something out of this. Now I remember why I stopped coming to this site.

My Cars
    95 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by Xevuhtess7 View Post
    Wow. You don't approve of what I did, but that's fine. I didn't come here for that. Enjoy your hurricane alcantara interior, CMG. I'm enjoying my seats.

At least Purie got something out of this. Now I remember why I stopped coming to this site.
    What did you expect? This is a BMW forum, not a Subaru forum. There isn't a lot of excessive love, or perhaps even familiarity with BRZ seats here. Plus, there isn't a lot of love for "ricey" BMWs. Most people get praise for doing OEM+, sticking with genuine BMW parts from other models. Or, people get praise for using high-end aftermarket parts like exhausts, wheels, turbos, racing seats, etc... you can't expect people will be giving you praise for taking out OEM seats from a car that used to cost $40k, and putting in seats from another car that cost $25k, no matter how much better you think those seats fit your "skinny" frame (even though they are wider than stock?))

It also doesn't help the resale value, nor does it look OEM, so what works for you is really only for you, not the general BMW enthusiast or track-rat or car-nut that frequents these forums.
    1995 OBD I Cosmos Black M3 - RIP: gone but not forgotten

My Cars
    E36
    OP, I've learned over the years to post stuff more like this in the nonM section. You'll get a better reaction there and probably actually help others out.

If it's how to install a $350 recovered trispoke M wheel to replace your ugly but still very nice 4 spoke wheel, you ask that here.
    I don't meant to start a flame war, that's just how it is (more purist attitude here, more economic in the nonM forum - neither of which are a bad thing). Maybe not all members fit the stereotype of either section of the forum, but they're called stereotypes for a reason...

I thought it was nice of you to post a pic, so we know A. that they fit (barely) and B. what they look like in the E36 (regardless if it looks 'good' or 'bad')
    Last edited by Moron95M3; 07-22-2014 at 03:33 PM.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFreddie View Post
    What did you expect? This is a BMW forum, not a Subaru forum. There isn't a lot of excessive love, or perhaps even familiarity with BRZ seats here. Plus, there isn't a lot of love for "ricey" BMWs. Most people get praise for doing OEM+, sticking with genuine BMW parts from other models. Or, people get praise for using high-end aftermarket parts like exhausts, wheels, turbos, racing seats, etc... you can't expect people will be giving you praise for taking out OEM seats from a car that used to cost $40k, and putting in seats from another car that cost $25k, no matter how much better you think those seats fit your "skinny" frame (even though they are wider than stock?))

It also doesn't help the resale value, nor does it look OEM, so what works for you is really only for you, not the general BMW enthusiast or track-rat or car-nut that frequents these forums.
    I didn't come here looking for praise. I don't care what parts are praise-worthy here. The BRZ seats are wider because the frame and hinge mechanism is designed differently. I don't think that these seats fit my skinny frame, I know they do. I'm 6'1" 160lbs. If you're a similar build I would recommend these to you. If resale value suffers and it doesn't look OEM, why do you modify your car? I commute in my car and take it to the track once a month. I also tow my dirtbikes and throw chains on when I go skiing in Tahoe. Does that make me less of what you call the "enthusiast, track rat, or car nut" that's at home here? Are the ls-swapped guys not bmw enthusiasts? You are right in one thing though: what works for me is really only for me. I don't modify my car for you or anyone else. Sorry I'm not sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Moron95M3 View Post
    I thought it was nice of you to post a pic, so we know A. that they fit (barely) and B. what they look like in the E36 (regardless if it looks 'good' or 'bad')
    These are the two, and only two reasons I posted. Sad that this has to be explicitly pointed out.
    Last edited by Xevuhtess7; 07-22-2014 at 04:17 PM.

My Cars
    1994 Alpina B3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Moron95M3 View Post
    Ditto, thanks for posting OP. I'm not sure why people get so bent out of shape about these things. For the record, I think they look good, though I've always thought the vaders look a bit "ear-lobey". I'm surprised they were that much lighter given they've got airbags in them?

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe
    Personally I love the vaders but I have to say these look pretty nice and I'm sure they're a lot comfier. I'm wondering though if you have leather or fabric back seats and if the BRZ seats look out of place with them.

My Cars
    1999 e36 m3 convertible
    not familiar with these seats. do they have airbags in them? if they do, will they work with the bmw system? not familiar with how airbags work or crossing brands/systems/what not. the two points you posted the pictures for? awesome. hopefully someone else who was thinking about it, now knows what the results would be. thanks man.

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    Dunno why but it just looks cheaper than the rest of the interior, and the e36 interior is pretty cheap.
    lmfao
    If the mind can conceive it, & you believe it, you will achieve it. - Napolean Hill
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 Alpine White & 1998 Arctic Silver ///m3/4/5
    JC Intake - ASC Delete - Dinan TB - Flow Matched 21.5# Injectors - JC Tune - SS Euro Reps (modified to retain SAP) - z3m ssk - Eisenmann Race 76mm - Yokohama Advan S2 - Squared LTW's - FK Silverline +X - Rogue FCAB/ RTAB/ RSM/ TM - X-Brace - CDV Delete -Racing Dynamics F&R Strut Braces - NGK BKR6E- German Castrol 0w-40

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Funny. I'm as OEM+ purist as it gets on this forum. But when I read this thread I thought, pretty cool idea. Not for me, but OP clearly gets a ton of utility out of his M. So these seats prob work great. I got no doubt the hold better than leather vaders or sport seats from the 3/4/5.

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Not a fan. They look like they're made for a double wide bottom area -_-

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by tslatts View Post
    Personally I love the vaders but I have to say these look pretty nice and I'm sure they're a lot comfier. I'm wondering though if you have leather or fabric back seats and if the BRZ seats look out of place with them.
    I've got leather back seats. Here's a photo:

Quote Originally Posted by 99e36vert View Post
    not familiar with these seats. do they have airbags in them? if they do, will they work with the bmw system? not familiar with how airbags work or crossing brands/systems/what not. the two points you posted the pictures for? awesome. hopefully someone else who was thinking about it, now knows what the results would be. thanks man.
    They do have airbags in them, I doubt they work with the bmw system, but even if they did it sounds like an unsafe idea to have them active in a car that wasn't designed that way.

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Not a bad effort. I'm sure it beats riding around with shredded bolsters. If you were going to go with Japanese replacements its just too bad Subaru uses a mix of the vinyl/ leather instead of suede bolsters and cloth weave centers like the old USDM ITR seats. Those were a perfect mix of comfort, performance, and looks without screaming either 'steal me' or 'race me' like the JDM recaros. .
    If the mind can conceive it, & you believe it, you will achieve it. - Napolean Hill
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 Alpine White & 1998 Arctic Silver ///m3/4/5
    JC Intake - ASC Delete - Dinan TB - Flow Matched 21.5# Injectors - JC Tune - SS Euro Reps (modified to retain SAP) - z3m ssk - Eisenmann Race 76mm - Yokohama Advan S2 - Squared LTW's - FK Silverline +X - Rogue FCAB/ RTAB/ RSM/ TM - X-Brace - CDV Delete -Racing Dynamics F&R Strut Braces - NGK BKR6E- German Castrol 0w-40

My Cars
    98 M3
    I like the way those seats feel, but not a fan of how they look in the e36. Good idea though.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Sedan
    Hey man, even though you're not active here anymore, if you ever see this just wanted to ask how these ended up being over the years. Considering doing the same thing for my e36. thanks
    Last edited by JayCarrE; 12-12-2018 at 05:35 AM.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JayCarrE View Post
    Hey man, even though you're not active here anymore, if you ever see this just wanted to ask how these ended up being over the years. Considering doing the same thing for my e36. thanks
    Those look awful. Please consider something more fitting.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by JayCarrE View Post
    I had them in there for a couple years, loved it. I've since sold the car (with seats installed)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast