Thread: Survey on US vs Euro fuel tanks

My Cars
    1984 Euro 635

Survey on US vs Euro fuel tanks

It's common knowledge the US cars have a 63L fuel tank while the Euro cars came with a 70L tank. Question I have, is the extra capacity in the Euro tank increase the "girth" of the tank or the "depth?"

Thanks in advance
    '84 Euro 635
    '88 M6 (Gone but not forgotten)

My Cars
    B9 coupe and B9 sedan
    The US tank is basically the same dim except it is shaped to clear the us bumper shocks.

My Cars
    1984 Euro 635
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinacsi View Post
    The US tank is basically the same dim except it is shaped to clear the us bumper shocks.
    So then I would be correct in saying the Euro tank has no impact on the clearance for the "muffler" meaning it does no narrow the gap or opening between the spare tire well and fuel tank. Right?
    '84 Euro 635
    '88 M6 (Gone but not forgotten)

My Cars
    1985 M635; 2010 Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroGeorge View Post
    So then I would be correct in saying the Euro tank has no impact on the clearance for the "muffler" meaning it does no narrow the gap or opening between the spare tire well and fuel tank. Right?
    If this is correct, I am wondering why the rear muffler for a US car won't fit a Euro car. Can anyone confirm that this is the case? This would really help me out as I am having one heck of a time obtaining the Euro mufflers for my car.

Added: Well, this won't make any difference as I just looked up the rear muffler for a US M6 and it is NLA according to a couple of dealer websites. Checked a couple of independent vendors and it also shows as NLA.

Seems that the E24 is being abandoned by the parts community. This really pisses me off.
    Last edited by rmorin1249; 07-20-2014 at 10:46 PM.
    Randall Morin
    COL(Ret), US Army
    Hagerstown MD

My Cars
    88m5,2015 Silverado
    That means the e28 cars are being abandoned as well as they use the same part....And with cars using smaller made to fit exact location exhaust, the chance of finding something that will work...thank you BMW...not