Thread: Broken clip of one of the two electrical connections just above fuel pump

My Cars
    1980 E21 M10

Broken clip of one of the two electrical connections just above water pump

20140719_180232.jpg

A few questions related to the attached photo in my 1980 M10 as one of my clips broke at the point of connection to the housing of this connector nut (don't know what else to call it, is this 12631279721, temperature switch?)

1) What is the purpose of the two electrical connections just in front of the fan belt/just in front of the fan belt/above the water pump?.
    2) There is about 0.5 mm of metal protuding from the connector nut is soldering it to that an option?
    3) Can/should this connector nut be removed? I gave it a slight turn and heard a crunch so I stopped.
    Last edited by Rushfan1; 07-20-2014 at 07:40 AM. Reason: long day yesterday...I meant to write water pump but initially wrote fuel pump...face palm...

My Cars
    1983 320i
    The switch is part of the lamda warmup cycle. It is closed below 17 degrees and open above. When the switch is closed the frequency valve operates at 60% to enrich the mix (Open Loop Cold). When the switch is open and before the O2 is sending good signals the frequency valve operates at the nominal 50% (Open Loop Warmup). When the O2 is warm it goes into closed loop. If you live in a tropical climate like me, the switch does jack crap.

1) This is nowhere near the fuel pump. That is in the back of the car. These two connectors are the temp switch. I think the part you are referring to is the fuel distributor.
    2) I think what you are calling a nut is part of the switch.
    3) It should be removed and a new terminal soldered on, and then tested afterwards (chuck it in the fridge and hit it with a meter)
    Last edited by beaucephus; 07-19-2014 at 09:57 PM.

My Cars
    1980 E21 M10
    Thanks for the information. I changed my initial post, I was thinking near the fuel distributor/water pump and mixed the darn two together...thus the switch near the fuel distributor/above the water pump; fortunately with my photo, you knew the one I was talking about.
    Last edited by Rushfan1; 10-24-2019 at 06:52 PM.

My Cars
    1983 320i
    If you can source one, I'd replace it.

My Cars
    '83 320i & '86 535i
    I live in Michigan and my engine doesn't even have one. My car starts runs and warms up just fine even with this bitter cold winter we recently had (even in - temps.) I'm going to go ahead and say don't worry about it, especially if it gets stored for winter...