Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: E46 Passenger Air Bag Recall

My Cars
    e60 528xi
    Just call your dealership, speak to your service advisor and get it done. It's a painless process. Don't wait for a letter to show up. They know which cars are affected and will tell you if yours is one.

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyc View Post
    Just call your dealership, speak to your service advisor and get it done. It's a painless process. Don't wait for a letter to show up. They know which cars are affected and will tell you if yours is one.
    This. You can't get into the dealer's queue until you make contact with your Service Advisor. If you wait for the dealer to contact you, you'll be one of the last to get a new airbag.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325i
    So I just took in my brother's 2004 323i to the Irvine BMW dealership here in Lake Forest, CA. They took a few hours to complete the job, and when I got the car back... the airbag light was suddenly on. So I called them same day and told them about the issue. They said it has nothing to do with the passenger side airbag & that it was with the driver's side. I told them, "look: I left you with the car without an airbag light, you replaced the airbag light, and now the airbag light is on. Aside from removing yourself of any responsibility before even diagnosing the car, how do you guys know it has nothing to do with the job you guys completed?" They agreed to diagnose it and check. After the weekend, I took the car in and they told me the car is having an issue with the passenger airbag sensor. They made it clear that it has nothing to do with the recall, and all to do with a separate section of the vehicle in the sensor. I said "Okay, well show me in paper how it broke. What exactly is wrong with it?" Two days later without my car, they call me and tell me that it appears as if the technician sat on the car and broke the sensor, however they also suggest that it was faulty to begin with, and that they figured it out from the job. Irvine BMW says it's an $850 dollar repair, tax & labor included. They said the tax and labor runs $520 which they will cover, and all I have to do is buy the part for $230. The part in question is the Passenger Seat Mat Sensor. Is this a fair quote? Shouldn't they be covering the whole expense? I haven't been on bimmerforums in almost a decade, but it's the first place I thought of when having a question for a BMW. Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated. I didn't want to create a thread as this is pertinent to the sticky, so I apologize if this is hijacking/ranting! Cheers

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330xi
    Man, what a CROCK!! No light when you took it in, light after you got it back. Seems cut and dried to me. I would definitely be reporting that to the Better Business Bureau and possibly your state Attorney General's Consumer Affairs division. Good luck!!

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzydunlop View Post
    So I just took in my brother's 2004 323i to the Irvine BMW dealership here in Lake Forest, CA. They took a few hours to complete the job, and when I got the car back... the airbag light was suddenly on. So I called them same day and told them about the issue. They said it has nothing to do with the passenger side airbag & that it was with the driver's side. I told them, "look: I left you with the car without an airbag light, you replaced the airbag light, and now the airbag light is on. Aside from removing yourself of any responsibility before even diagnosing the car, how do you guys know it has nothing to do with the job you guys completed?" They agreed to diagnose it and check. After the weekend, I took the car in and they told me the car is having an issue with the passenger airbag sensor. They made it clear that it has nothing to do with the recall, and all to do with a separate section of the vehicle in the sensor. I said "Okay, well show me in paper how it broke. What exactly is wrong with it?" Two days later without my car, they call me and tell me that it appears as if the technician sat on the car and broke the sensor, however they also suggest that it was faulty to begin with, and that they figured it out from the job. Irvine BMW says it's an $850 dollar repair, tax & labor included. They said the tax and labor runs $520 which they will cover, and all I have to do is buy the part for $230. The part in question is the Passenger Seat Mat Sensor. Is this a fair quote? Shouldn't they be covering the whole expense? I haven't been on bimmerforums in almost a decade, but it's the first place I thought of when having a question for a BMW. Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated. I didn't want to create a thread as this is pertinent to the sticky, so I apologize if this is hijacking/ranting! Cheers
    Before you go all crazy, just let it be known that the passanger side seat mat is a very common fail point on the E-36's (Post 95) and E-46's. I would purchase the part and get the free labor to install it, at least they are admiting to being partial to blame for the problem.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    I really wish I could get mine in before I drive my pregnant wife up to Maine and back in May.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330xi
    FINALLY! Checked BMW USA and both safety recalls for my VIN are marked as "REMEDY AVAILABLE". Now I just have to get this scheduled and taken care of

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Ladies and Gents, A head's up for all of you. Take your car to the dealership to get the passenger airbag replace. There is a recall going on, if you have any questions, have a read: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/16/b...call-official/ Or you can contact BMW Customer Relations and Services at 1-800-831-1117. I have two that are effected, so I will be bothering the dealership on Monday.
    Thanks for the heads up I called bmw of North America and there sending me a recall letter

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Recall has been expanded to include the driver's airbag. Parts are (again) not yet available, but letters are going out anyhow.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzydunlop View Post
    Replacing the passenger airbag really doesn't have anything to do with the passenger seat. The tech removes the glove box and the dash panel, removes a few retaining bolts and puts in a new airbag. Seat recognition mats are fickle.

Take the deal they're offering.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330xi
    Yay! I have an appointment on Tuesday evening to have both recall jobs done; passenger side airbag and tail light wiring. Also, seeing on the BMWUSA site that the driver's side airbag is on recall as well (May 27, 2015 | Recall Campaign No. 15V-318), although the remediation is not yet ready. Good Stuff!

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    And here I just booked the M3 in for it's passenger side airbag! Ah well look like it's going to be another trip back to the dealership for that one too. The good thing is on the button style airbag, only takes 20 minutes to exchange out.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330xi
    Got the passenger airbag and tail-light wiring issues fixed last night. Man, free work at the stealership is great!

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325xi sedan
    I bought my 325xi in January. I received a letter from BMW yesterday. They will find you!

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325xi sedan
    It also said they don't have any parts for this yet, but they will let me know when they come available

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330xi
    Quote Originally Posted by pirategm View Post
    I bought my 325xi in January. I received a letter from BMW yesterday. They will find you!
    I never received a letter...just checked my VIN on BMWUSA website until the "remedy was available"

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    I just got a letter this week that now my driver's airbag is being recalled.

Awesome....
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    '04 M3 and '06 MC ZCP
    Hello,
    I recommend calling right now to get on the waiting list for the driver side. I called for my dad's M3 E46 and he is currently on the waiting list at our local BMW center. Does anyone know though about when the driver side airbag fix is coming? I still have heard nothing and I'm wondering when it is coming out. Thank you.

My Cars
    05' e46 15'F30
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Ladies and Gents,

A head's up for all of you. Take your car to the dealership to get the passenger airbag replace. There is a recall going on, if you have any questions, have a read: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/16/b...call-official/

Or you can contact BMW Customer Relations and Services at 1-800-831-1117.

I have two that are effected, so I will be bothering the dealership on Monday.
    10 days ago I went to the local BMW dealership and had them log me into the system VIN/Name, address etc. I asked about any word on the airbag recall update and they said "it's going to be a while"?
    kinda vague at a minimum. Next I will be calling customer relations.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    This is a second one for the driver's airbag out now. I will expect it to be about the same amount of time like the passenger side: Summer 2016
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 BMW E46 316 N42
    Got mine done the other day in Glasgow, couldn't have asked for better service! They treated me as if I were buying a brand new BMW not taking in a 12 year old one!

Free health check, pointed out a few good things with no pressure or hints that they wanted to take my money for a quick fix!

They might be expensive to run but their service is amazing!

My Cars
    '01 330ci '86 BMW 635csi
    Any word on the drivers side airbag with the sports wheel? I checked with the NHTSA site but nothing is showing yet.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Quote Originally Posted by Derekwh View Post
    Any word on the drivers side airbag with the sports wheel? I checked with the NHTSA site but nothing is showing yet.
    Don't have a sport wheel, but I took mine in for the passenger side recall on 12/30. The service adviser said that the drivers side will need to be done eventually but parts aren't available yet for my area and they would call me when they were ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Derekwh View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's the same unit as the M3 wheel. I had mine replaced about 7 months ago at the dealer. It is affected. And I'll agree with others, recall work was the only occasion where the dealer treated me nicely.

My Cars
    ZHP
    Everyone MAKE SURE you examine your fuses if you have had this service performed.

Last night I discovered that my airbag fuse had been removed and not replaced. It's highly probable the dealer did this as an "additional precaution" or simply a shortcut to disable the airbags before replacing the passenger airbag. Fairly confident that I did NOT buy the car this way (no reason to - it was mint) and I'm insanely anal when I'm doing anything in the fuse box. Fucking unbelievable that the morons overlooked this - and I guarantee you if I'd gotten into an accident and they hadn't deployed, it would've been pinned on me because I do my own work and I'm "not a mechanic" and there's no way to prove they left it out.

CHECK YOUR FUSES! Your life & those of others could depend on it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast