Thread: Broken tabs on interior trim

My Cars
    2000 740i Sport, 69 GTO

Broken tabs on interior trim

I had the dreaded water leak and a glove box filled with water last week. Pulled the head liner and secured the drain tubes with a little plumbers putty and zip ties. When pulling all the interior bits I found that a lot of the mounting tabs had degraded and just fell apart when being removed. Has anyone found a good way to either strengthen the tabs? replace tabs? or any other way to repair these issues? With intact tabs I figure a thin smear of JB weld on the tabs might do a good job. What has everyone else done?
    1969 GTO Warwick Blue/Parchment
    2000 740i Sport 6 speed

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    I have found success with loctite ABS super glue. If you can find what broke off that is. I have been making clips from junk parts with similar clips and just gluing them in place. I hope our plastic stays in it's current fragile state for a while and does not get much worse!
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    2001 E38 740I Sport
    I used 3M Duramix 04247. Several of my tabs in the interior knee bolster where broken and lost. It can get very expensive if you are only doing a few tabs because you will need the 3M duramix, gun, mixing nozzles, contouring sheets, adhesive remover, etc... The only advantage is that you can start sanding in a few minutes and it allows you to recreate lost broken tabs. Probably overkill for just a few tabs but if you have a friend that has a body shop, he may already have the equipment and you just buy the glue and nozzles.

-Messan
    The above is my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.
    01 Shorty Sporty BLK/BLK

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    I'm having all my headliner and pillars etc recovered soon, and things like my sunroof panel have 90% of their clips gone (just the main dome light and 2 rear plastic clips holding it all up). I've already tested a few alternatives, and I'm happy with them... I've got a bunch of metal clips, no idea what they're called, but if you look at your front dome light's clips it's pretty similar ie; the two metal clips along the bottom here;

Anyway, I've got some of those, the perfect size (have checked and tested one already). What I'm going to do is, when we strip the sunroof panel liner, I'm going to take some undersized wood screw-like screws that have a flat head, and run maybe 6 of those through the sunroof panel in even spacing, then re-cover the panel so you'll never know they were there (will do some very light filing so they sit absolutely flush with the panel surface). Then when it's all done, I'll just bolt the new clips in on top and it'll never be a problem again. This kind of thing really frustrates me... I have already done this to a few of my lower door courtesy lights and my inner trunk lid light carrier because the stock filament bulbs had burned the OEM plastic tabs so much that they just shattered when I removed the lights last time.

Gotta go metal. Or aluminium... so sick of plastic!!!

My Cars
    2003 330cic
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobek View Post
    I'm having all my headliner and pillars etc recovered soon, and things like my sunroof panel have 90% of their clips gone (just the main dome light and 2 rear plastic clips holding it all up). I've already tested a few alternatives, and I'm happy with them... I've got a bunch of metal clips, no idea what they're called, but if you look at your front dome light's clips it's pretty similar ie; the two metal clips along the bottom here;

Anyway, I've got some of those, the perfect size (have checked and tested one already). What I'm going to do is, when we strip the sunroof panel liner, I'm going to take some undersized wood screw-like screws that have a flat head, and run maybe 6 of those through the sunroof panel in even spacing, then re-cover the panel so you'll never know they were there (will do some very light filing so they sit absolutely flush with the panel surface). Then when it's all done, I'll just bolt the new clips in on top and it'll never be a problem again. This kind of thing really frustrates me... I have already done this to a few of my lower door courtesy lights and my inner trunk lid light carrier because the stock filament bulbs had burned the OEM plastic tabs so much that they just shattered when I removed the lights last time.

Gotta go metal. Or aluminium... so sick of plastic!!!
    Hate to resurrect such an old thread but I am curious about the metal clips you used and if it ended up working? Got a part number or a picture (old one died)?