Thread: Whit smoke from exhaust

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA

Whit smoke from exhaust

Today after work I started the car and white cloud got out from the exhaust.. Few days ago I got an error message to check coolant level.. I was missing just enough to get an error.. Refilled and I thought that im good.. So today after it happened I drove back home and to school with no problems.. Ive done some research and its possible that coolant is getting into cylinders.. I didnt check the coolant level yet but I will after I get out of school... I dont think that it was a moisture cause the cloud was way too big lol
    my question is,
    is it safe to put "stop leak" liquid even if the coolant is getting into cylinders? If not what other steps should I make?

03 540i 105k miles

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add that the smoke got out on startup only.. It's not constant
    Last edited by OrzechNJ; 11-10-2014 at 06:50 PM.

My Cars
    '02 540i 6MT
    Google - ccv

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Check your oil and under your oil cap for signs of milkyness. Oil mixing with coolant, not good.

My Cars
    Catch & release
    Last edited by Boomer Depp; 11-11-2014 at 10:43 PM.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Judging from your username it looks like you reside in NJ where the temps are probably cold over there than where I am, so I would think that it must nothing but water condensation coming out of your exhaust which is normal for any car at cold temperatures. However, if the smoke appear to be as a bright white cloud of smoke and for a prolong period of time then I would consider to look at your CCV system as it's possible it is consuming/burning oil in the cylinders. I don't think it has anything to do with your cooling system at all. I think it was just a coincidence that you were low on coolant. That's all.

My Cars
    E90 M3
    I had the same exact thing happen to me last week. I was driving my 2000 540i/6 at a driving school and was driving it hard. Some white smoke started coming out of the exhaust so I immediately stopped driving, let the car cool down, and called a family member who's a mechanic. I started the car back up and the smoke went away. The next day I got a service engine soon light, figured it could have to do with the smoke. The next day, I got a check coolant level warning. I put it on a scanner and got a P0492 code: Secondary Air Injection System (Bank 2). I had filled it with coolant two days prior after replacing the alternator and some pulleys and it had significantly dropped. Topped it off, light hasn't come back on. However, the level has fluctuated a little bit. I'm keeping a close eye on it and am going to replace the ccv soon.
    F10 535i

Formerly Owned:

2000 540i/6
    E23 733i
    E90 M3
    E53 X5

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA
    thanks for all responses..
    it didnt happen since.. checked the coolant and its topped off like it was before.. CCV will be my next upgrade after I replace the control arms and CSB.. Hopefully it wont happen again..
    also checked the oil cap and there was no milky moisture.. will definitely clean drain under booster and driver side cabin filter..

when it comes to replacing CCV what else I should take care of while "being there" any gaskets ? pipes.. whatever comes to ur head..

thank you