Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast

Thread: DYNAVIN N6 E39 Multimedia GPS System, New for mid-2014

My Cars
    84 528 86 325 90 535
    Mine is installed in my non dsp e39 touring. At the shop getting a suspension but can post some pics tomorrow.

My Cars
    99 540i6
    Mine is finally in! The bracket definitely goes between the outer dash cover and the holes that the original screws go through (not behind the mounting points that the screws go through). It is tough getting it in, best way was to pull the IHKA out, and contort your hand so you can feel/pull the the wires while you're trying to get it in the whole way.

I had to enlarge the size of the holes in the dash pad for the lower screws. I was able to get them in without enlarging the holes but it pulled the bottom area up so high the unit would never go all the way in.

I found it best to push the bottom in a little further than the top, then work around the bottom of the dash vents and it will finally just pop in under the dash in that area.

Now I need some of those clips that the trim is held in by. I am down to one working clip on each trim piece

Here's a Pic with my loose dash trim
    Last edited by James39; 07-17-2014 at 07:17 AM.
    '99 BMW 540i6 L33 5.3, PRC Heads, E-force supercharged
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1674320

My Cars
    2003 BMW E39
    that's awsome, Jeff!

My Cars
    E46 E92 E70
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    I'm still interested mind you....

Do we have any pictures of the rear of the unit...?
    Here you go Stuck....its mostly standard stuff and not too much different than the D95/D99/D99+

Here is a pic of the back, as you can see the RCAs are all on pigtails and plug into those white plugs. If you are not using them in your install, dont install them. Keeps things clean and allows things to fit easier in the tight confines of some dashes. The USB plugs are attached. 2.5mm for the bluetooth mic. The N6 has standard Fakra plugs for the radio and GPS instead of the more generic plugs previously used. More on that below....

The main wiring adapter harnesses, comes with both types that exist in the E39. Use the one that matches your car. This is all you need wiring wise for a standard install. Plug one end into the car, the other end into the dynavin, and that little third plug goes into the ibus interface box (for steering wheel controls, etc...)

The RCA pigtails, on the left is the video output related harness....for external headrest monitors and that sort of thing. In the center the input harness, for backup camera and aux in. And on the right is the RCA output harness, front, rear, and sub, for connecting to external aftermarket amps.

And finally....everything else. The bluetooth mic, the GPS antenna, the iGo Primo nav micro SD card with a standard SD card adapter, an antenna adapter for early E39s that dont have the later Fakra style plug thats already on the dynavin, the ibus interface box, and a USB extension for running to the glove compartment, console, or wherever

Last edited by jeffb325; 07-17-2014 at 01:54 PM.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Thanks Jeff.

I'm also curious will the unit play back FLAC and ALAC off a memory card or only off an iDevice?
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    E46 E92 E70
    it will play FLAC off a SD or USB.

It will play ALAC off an idevice but not off of a drive.

Thats what I saw in my brief testing of lossless files at least....
    Last edited by jeffb325; 07-17-2014 at 02:23 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    Hmm. Interesting.
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    99 540i6
    My radio presets have a mind of their own. Hard to describe the behavior. Anyone else noticing this?

My Cars
    E46 E92 E70
    Yes, I just talked to them about it this morning and they are sorting it out, should have a fix shortly.

My Cars
    99 540i6
    I might miss that feature when it's gone, so far it's like preset roulette

My Cars
    84 528 86 325 90 535
    My flush mount USB with a 64GB FlashDrive. My Ipod connector is in Glove Box. My HU is just "shoved" in the dash opening for now until I made sure everything is working. It is a tight-ass fit though, not sure I even need to use the bracket, think I just have to wedge it up and in the opening and it ain't goin nowhere.

Last edited by billy in slo; 07-18-2014 at 01:11 AM.

My Cars
    E46 E92 E70
    Looks good Billy, post some pics when you are done. If the fit is real tight, first make sure you have the bracket in there correctly....it goes behind the dash panel, and the screws go through the panel and thread into the bracket. When its right everything should line up nice and straight.

If that is correct then take note that there are screws behind the wood dash trim that hold the top and bottom halves of the dash together, pull the trim out, take the screws out and there will be a little more wiggle room to get everything into place.
    Last edited by jeffb325; 07-18-2014 at 09:10 PM.

My Cars
    84 528 86 325 90 535
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffb325 View Post
    Looks good Billy, If the fit is real tight, first make sure you have the bracket in there correctly....it goes behind the dash panel, and the screws go through the panel and thread into the bracket. When its right everything should line up nice and straight.

If that is correct then take note that there are screws behind the wood dash trim that hold the top and bottom halves of the dash together, pull the trim out, take the screws out and there will be a little more wiggle room to get everything into place.
    Yes, it is that tight, no the bracket is not even being used yet. The "wiggle room" is good info, I will try that, the pic from James39 looks very tidy so I know it can be done.

Couple of other questions, keep in mind that I am pretty new to Ipods and their functionality, anyway, I would like to be able to go to "artist" list for Ipod when using the N6 and select an artist (Led Zeppelin) and shuffle play ALL songs. It seems it will only play songs by album with the Artist catalog. Easy workaround is a quick playlist of all Zep songs but I don't want to do that for every artist.
    Also, it seems that because the unit stays powered after car is shutdown it keeps playing a song albeit w/o coming through the speakers because when I get back in the car and start it up the song I was listening to has finished and another song has queued up. It's a little annoying as I am usually singing the song in my head and expecting it to be playing where it left off when I get back in.
    Regarding the Nav, it was pretty bad when a "dude" told me I was exceeding the speed limit! I always exceed the speed limit on the freeway, I don't need someone telling me, if I did I'd bring my wife along!
    Anyway, no big deal and I am learning as I go, keep in mind this is my newest bimmer (or car actually) I've ever owned.
    Cheers
    billy
    76 2002 (sold)
    80 e12 528i/m535 clone (sold)
    84 e28 528e - has served two daughters through HS
    86 e30 325es - my "fun" car
    90 e34 535i - son's HS ride
    02 e39 540iT Sport and Cold Weather package - my dream car/retirement gift to myself

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Billy, in my case when I was mounting my D99+ I had to really exert a lot of force to push up the section where the AC vents are. As soon as you take the old radio out, that whole part falls under its own weight. In your first picture I see that the faceplate is kinda overlapping that part, not under it. I had to lever the dash with flathead screwdrivers covered in tape (to avoid scratching the plastic).

This is how mine ended up looking:
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    E46 E92 E70
    Hi Billy,

what kind of iPod are you using, it should pause the iPod when you turn off the car....but I've seen some older devices the exhibit some odd behaviour. Also non apple iPod cords seem hit and miss as well....from you pic above though it looks like you are using an old iphone as an iPod, with an apple cord....maybe give the iphone a "hard reboot" and see what happens.

for the "dude" telling you to slow down....in the nav settings menu are settings for voice, language, gender, nationality, etc....also there are speed warning settings that can be configured any way you like

My Cars
    84 528 86 325 90 535
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffb325 View Post
    Hi Billy,

what kind of iPod are you using, it should pause the iPod when you turn off the car....but I've seen some older devices the exhibit some odd behaviour. Also non apple iPod cords seem hit and miss as well....from you pic above though it looks like you are using an old iphone as an iPod, with an apple cord....maybe give the iphone a "hard reboot" and see what happens.

for the "dude" telling you to slow down....in the nav settings menu are settings for voice, language, gender, nationality, etc....also there are speed warning settings that can be configured any way you like

Hahaha, ya that's what I meant by learning as I go, I will change the voice to someone more pleasant! Already adjusted the speed warning to 125% of limit, (hey! that's what my V1 is for)

I think it is an Ipod touch, someone gave it to me as a test mule, so many options now including amazon streaming from my Sony phone through BT which I have not even tried yet.

Just got the car back from having the ST Coilovers installed so I haven't played with it today, I'll mess with it tomorrow and report back.

Thx for all the help and feedback from everyone.

billy

My Cars
    2002 BMW e39 530d
    Couple questions about new unit:
    1. Does the new N6 unit has noisy cooling fan as it was in the old d90?
    2. Billy do you have CAN BUS conflict with IHKA (Air Conditioning Control Panel) after installing N6 CAN BOX as it was in the old d99+? Jeff do you know sth?

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Connect n6 to my e39 2000 with DSP. It works (sound from speakers) just 40 second (I think dsp amp turn itself off) OE DSP selected. Waiting answer from seller. Sent video to tech.
    Like new menu. Dont see any problem between AC and OBD, last one shows only 2 temperature. Dont like media info idea on left side on GPS screen, but it can be disabled. CAN interface dont have mini (micro) usb connector. Didnt try bluetooth phone and streaming during navi.
    Hope tech support can send me update.
    Last edited by mbarkh; 07-19-2014 at 01:52 PM.

My Cars
    1999 E39, 00 Z3M, 99 E46
    How much trouble would it be to add Sirius/XM satellite radio to this?

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by crdiscoverer View Post
    Billy, in my case when I was mounting my D99+ I had to really exert a lot of force to push up the section where the AC vents are. As soon as you take the old radio out, that whole part falls under its own weight. In your first picture I see that the faceplate is kinda overlapping that part, not under it. I had to lever the dash with flathead screwdrivers covered in tape (to avoid scratching the plastic).

This is how mine ended up looking:
    BY any chance do you have more pictures? I'm curious how this would look in my car since I have the euro spec dash.

Also to dynavin, the units all come with their own mounting bracket? I would prefer not to cut up my MID cage.
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    99 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by monikon View Post
    2. Billy do you have CAN BUS conflict with IHKA (Air Conditioning Control Panel) after installing N6 CAN BOX as it was in the old d99+? Jeff do you know sth?
    I don't hear the fan at all.

No IHKA conflict that I've noticed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post
    Also to dynavin, the units all come with their own mounting bracket? I would prefer not to cut up my MID cage.
    It comes with a bracket.

My Cars
    540i
    Quote Originally Posted by mbarkh View Post
    Connect n6 to my e39 2000 with DSP. It works (sound from speakers) just 40 second (I think dsp amp turn itself off) OE DSP selected. Waiting answer from seller. Sent video to tech.
    Like new menu. Dont see any problem between AC and OBD, last one shows only 2 temperature. Dont like media info idea on left side on GPS screen, but it can be disabled. CAN interface dont have mini (micro) usb connector. Didnt try bluetooth phone and streaming during navi.
    In the 40 seconds that it works, how does it sound?

My Cars
    E46 E92 E70
    Quote Originally Posted by monikon View Post
    They appear to have a fan but I have yet to hear it turn on....its got a lot of heat sink on the back so it may only come on in extreme conditions.....or its quiet enough that I have not heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by mbarkh View Post
    Im assuming you didn't buy this unit from us. Ive made it clear to anyone that has asked that the DSP compatibility is coming but is not yet ready for US spec cars.....in fact I explained it in post #3 of this thread. I have a couple "guinea pigs" who we are working with to get everything 100%..... I guess not every dealer is being as upfront about this stuff as we are and it looks like either you didnt ask, or they didnt tell you what the DSP situation is.
    Last edited by jeffb325; 07-19-2014 at 03:56 PM.

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Jeff, thank you for informative threads.
    I preorder this device more then month ago, at that time it was info that it support dsp, also contacted Dynavin. But on this thread only understand that euro and US DSP's are different. And ordered from other source, before ordering I sent you email but didnt get any reply. Anyway hope these "guinea pigs" will give you positive results. Please answer do you have the same issue with dsp?/Thank You

My Cars
    E46 E92 E70
    Yes, yours is doing as I would expect, and yes I'm working with Dynavin right now to get things going on the US spec cars. I will be posting, and frankly, making a big deal about when it's done.
    Last edited by jeffb325; 07-20-2014 at 12:02 AM.

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast