RM European Auto Parts

Thread: iDrive Controller dead. What fuse?

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328 xDrive

iDrive Controller dead. What fuse?

Hey guys,

The controller for my 2011 e90 is not working. Zero power. I think it might have gotten wet when the sunroof was left cracked. I have tried checking the fuses but am unsure which fuse symbol corresponds to the controller.

Any insight? Many thanks for your help.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Teach a man to fish....
    http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx

I am not suprised that your car doesn't have an owner's manual, as you can find it in the ..... i-Drive funny how that works out.

Download the manual from there and you should be good.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328 xDrive
    Thanks, but the manual was not helpful. I have the fuse chart with the symbols, but the symbols do not have a description.

Do anyone know which symbol is tied to the idrive controller?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Teach a man to fish....
    http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx

I am not suprised that your car doesn't have an owner's manual, as you can find it in the ..... i-Drive funny how that works out.

Download the manual from there and you should be good.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    no single fuse runs only the i-drive.

If the problem with the i-driver were only that a fuse was blown, there'd be other electrical problems.

Your i-drive is f'ed. You probably need a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328 xDrive
    The actual idrive works fine... it's just the controller.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Right sorry, I forgot, customers considers the screen to be the i-drive, and service employees call the controller the i-drive (at least, here we do).

potato, pahtahtoh

Either way, the i-drive controller is probably cooked.
    Last edited by Critter7r; 07-15-2014 at 04:29 PM.
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328 xDrive
    Thanks.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i
    I am having the same issue, did you find out if a fuse will do the trick? My idrive controls(knob, cd, radio, menu, etc) did not get wet, just stopped working. I can still use all the features using voice command, so it is only an issue with the controls themselves. They also do not light up at night.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    The i-Drive controller runs on a bus system, there is not a fuse that control only the controller.

The controller is probably cooked.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i
    What did you do to fix yours?

My Cars
    2011 328i

2011 e90

Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    The i-Drive controller runs on a bus system, there is not a fuse that control only the controller.

The controller is probably cooked.
    Hello, maybe some one here can help. i have a 2011 e90 with a blown controller. Im about to swap it with a new one. Do you have any idea what is the proper voltage the controller should have. I checked the wire plug with a multimeter and it says 15v. I dont whant to install the new one and have the same thing happen to it. Thanks

My Cars
    e39
    Hello, everyone. Got the same issue.
    I did swap my controller with 100% working one from my friend car and it still didn't work. But when I connected mine to my friend car just to double-check it did work.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Besides swapping it, what else have you done?
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i E90

I have the same exact issue

Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Besides swapping it, what else have you done?
    So I have the same exact issue on my 2011 328i E90. My CIC controller was working fine on Monday night. Now it does not work anymore. But..... there is still power to the connector that connects to the CIC. I just pulled it out and confirmed. Going to pull the CIC out and open it up and take a look at the internals. Does anyone have a fix for this? I havent seen one at all.

My Cars
    Bmw 5-series f10
    Were you able to fix the issue? I was connecting the carplay box this weekend, and now the idrive controller doesn’t work. Doesn’t even light up at all. I’m trying to figure out if it’s any of the fuses, or the controller is dead.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Well we have a lot of single poster, so I am not holding my breath that anybody is coming back.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    BMW 535i 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nickarguello View Post
    I am having the same issue, did you find out if a fuse will do the trick? My idrive controls(knob, cd, radio, menu, etc) did not get wet, just stopped working. I can still use all the features using voice command, so it is only an issue with the controls themselves. They also do not light up at night.
    Me too, I have a 11 535i and my select button, cd,menu,nav etc are not working. Any luck in fixing it?

My Cars
    BMW 3-Series

Wanting to just see if anyone has found a solution due to me having a e90 with a fault similar to this. My controller doesn’t light up at all and I also have a stop start fault but it’s only since I’ve had the battery changed please someone be able to help me it’s starting to wind me up. I’ve had the controller in bits but there doesn’t look like there is any issue with the circuit board or soldering or the earth which I have been told is common on these

[QUOTE=Critter7r;27787365]Right sorry, I

forgot, customers considers the screen to be the i-drive, and service employees call the controller the i-drive (at least, here we do).

potato, pahtahtoh

Either way, the i-drive controller is probably cooked.[/QUOTE

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    PabloE90: 15VDC is way too high. Are you sure your meter is operating properly. Test it on a 9VDC battery.