Thread: E36 Tonneau Cover Hinge Replacement

My Cars
    1994 325i

E36 Tonneau Cover Hinge Replacement

Hi,i just bought 95 E36 convertible.The left side tonneau cover hinge is broken.The top works fine,i just need to support the cover with a stick while i lower the top,then carefully put cover on mechanism then use switch to lock cover after top folds down.How much work is it to replace the left hinge?I tried locating one ,no luck,only found right side hinge.How much is left hinge?I looked at diagram,does not look that difficult to replace?Any suggestions of where to look for part?Or shops that may do work if i cannot?I live in Boca Raton,Fl 1 hr from Miami.
    Last edited by vlg; 07-13-2014 at 05:01 AM.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Are you sure the hinge is broken? Sounds more like the strut is toast or it disconnected.

Here's a link to the part numbers for the hinge. Just copy them into a google search. http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...49&hg=41&fg=55

My Cars
    1994 325i

E36 tonneau cover left hinge

I located 1 on ebay but it got bid up to almost twice the amount i got copying the part number.Could it be a discontinued part?I googled it and found that a new one costs only$59 at a dealer in Atlanta but that,s 700 miles from me,this is ridiculous to pay $120.Do you know of any wrecked convertibles someone may want to part out?Or shall i just go to evry dealer in South Florida hoping 1 will have one?that,s a popular car don,t think part will be discontinued.Can you find out if $59 is the going price?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Buy it from that dealer and have them ship it to you

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Try www.autobahnparts.com

They are a BMW and Porsche dismantler, and they will ship parts anywhere in the country. You'll probably have to make the call. You should also use www.realoem.com and/or www.penskeparts.com to get the parts information you will need to give them.

My Cars
    1995 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by vlg View Post
    I located 1 on ebay but it got bid up to almost twice the amount i got copying the part number.Could it be a discontinued part?I googled it and found that a new one costs only$59 at a dealer in Atlanta but that,s 700 miles from me,this is ridiculous to pay $120.Do you know of any wrecked convertibles someone may want to part out?Or shall i just go to evry dealer in South Florida hoping 1 will have one?that,s a popular car don,t think part will be discontinued.Can you find out if $59 is the going price?
    Try ECS Tuning. I just had mine break last week. And it is really broken, pulled right out of the car. I ordered 9/9 and it arrived 9/13. $50 + shipping and tax. Good luck.

Steve

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i Conv
    How did you replace it? I am having a hard time replacing mine as the area is very tight.

- - - Updated - - -

How did you replace it? I am having a hard time as the area it goes into is so tight.

My Cars
    '94 318ic, '00 323it
    As flyfishvt says, it sounds like the hinge shock is worn. The hinge itself does not go bad.

That being said, just pull on the top of the shock and it will come off. The bottom end has a clip you need to unlatch with a flat screwdriver.

Getting a new shock on the left side will be a PITA. Start by removing the rubber bump stop on the hinge. That will give you a little more room. You will need to compress the new shock a little to give yourself a little more room to work with.

I did mine by snapping on the bottom of the shock first and then I attached the top. I did cheat and cut a slit on the hinge with the dremel to give myself the 1/4" room to install the new shock without compressing it since I was doing it alone.
    Alpine 318ic FTMFW!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i Conv
    Quote Originally Posted by myblackcar View Post
    As flyfishvt says, it sounds like the hinge shock is worn. The hinge itself does not go bad.

That being said, just pull on the top of the shock and it will come off. The bottom end has a clip you need to unlatch with a flat screwdriver.

Getting a new shock on the left side will be a PITA. Start by removing the rubber bump stop on the hinge. That will give you a little more room. You will need to compress the new shock a little to give yourself a little more room to work with.

I did mine by snapping on the bottom of the shock first and then I attached the top. I did cheat and cut a slit on the hinge with the dremel to give myself the 1/4" room to install the new shock without compressing it since I was doing it alone.

My problem is the black "S-shaped" hinge is broken into two pieces.
    I do not know how to access the end that is down inside the car. Going through the trunk it is very constraining. Any suggestions would be truly appreciated.

My Cars
    '94 318ic, '00 323it
    There is a hole in the trunk to access the bottom portion of the hinge. It is behind the trunk fabric.
    Alpine 318ic FTMFW!