Thread: Is 98 tan interior a different shade from a 2000?

My Cars
    95 840,14 535i

Is 98 tan interior a different shade from a 2000?

A 98 740 came in the pull a part with great leather, and was thinking of pulling it off for my 2000, but not sure if it is the same shade. Just want to transfer the bottom. Thanks

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    The colors are the same.
    If you have heated seats, you need one from the same year group (99-01). Otherwise go ahead.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL
    Other than 2 more years of sun fade.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    I'd run the VIN from the donor & from my car if you seem to be uncertain.

Since there's multiple "tan" interior based on the 2 model years given. There's the "Sand Beige" interiors used during pre & post facelift...then there's the "Pearl Beige/Oyster" and Ecru interiors that were used in the special 2-tone pkgs (Oyster & blue or Oyster & green) & the Highline Pkg (Ecru & blue or Ecru & green w/contrast seat piping).

If you don't have the VIN decoder site saved to your favorites...post up the last 7 digits of each vehicles VIN and someone should be able to pull the info to see if both your vehicle and the donor vehicle have the same interior color option.

Sand Beige

Pearl Beige aka "Oyster" & Green

Pearl Beige aka "Oyster" & Blue

Ecru & Blue (Highline Pkg w/seat piping)

Ecru & Green (Highline Pkg w/seat piping)

Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-11-2014 at 04:55 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    95 840,14 535i
    I would say there both sand beige, i just was not sure if there was different shades they used for the sand over the years. I know there not pearl. Thanks!

My Cars
    740il
    their are two different colors. Beige and sand beige don't remember which one goes in what year 7

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Good point which leads back to my original suggestion to pull up the build sheet using the last 7 digits of the VIN...this will list the option code & color of the interior.

The 1998 donor e38 will probably have N6SN SANDBEIGE (which is the first image in my previous post...which was a pic of my bro-in-law's 1997 e38).
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    01 Audi S8

Leather seat wrinkles common?

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    I'd run the VIN from the donor & from my car if you seem to be uncertain.

Since there's multiple "tan" interior based on the 2 model years given. There's the "Sand Beige" interiors used during pre & post facelift...then there's the "Pearl Beige/Oyster" and Ecru interiors that were used in the special 2-tone pkgs (Oyster & blue or Oyster & green) & the Highline Pkg (Ecru & blue or Ecru & green w/contrast seat piping).

If you don't have the VIN decoder site saved to your favorites...post up the last 7 digits of each vehicles VIN and someone should be able to pull the info to see if both your vehicle and the donor vehicle have the same interior color option.

Sand Beige

Pearl Beige aka "Oyster" & Green

Pearl Beige aka "Oyster" & Blue

Ecru & Blue (Highline Pkg w/seat piping)

Ecru & Green (Highline Pkg w/seat piping)

Is it common for the seats to get many wrinkles on them? Is it possible to steam them out or has anyone tried?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman4ever View Post
    Is it common for the seats to get many wrinkles on them? Is it possible to steam them out or has anyone tried?
    Is it common for a hide (a natural skin product) to wrinkle over time (which is what Montana Leather is)? :

Perhaps you would prefer the Leatherette/SensaTec (imitation leather) that BMW uses...or one of the lesser leathers that isn't as soft (like Dakota Leather)...they don't usually suffer from wrinkling...and tend to stay taut throughout its life cycle.

It's also interesting because there's a huge (up to 28 pages now) thread about wrinkled leather on one of the G05 BimPost forum (the latest X5)...and many are upset that their Vernasca and Merino leather seats have wrinkles in them. Here's a direct link if you want to read it: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1548610

Also...I don't think Montana leather (in the e38s) would take well to "steaming"...perhaps I'm wrong...feel free to correct me if I am....but I can't recall steaming the hide of an animal as something that is common once it has been tanned, processed, and dyed.

BMW's Montana leather (used during the e38/e39 production years) would probably fall between the Dakota/Nevada & Nappa leathers in regards to grade. The step[-up leather would have been Nappa and/or WalkNappa leather during the e38's production years:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 04-04-2019 at 03:02 PM.

My Cars
    01 Audi S8

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Is it common for a hide (a natural skin product) to wrinkle over time (which is what Montana Leather is)? :

Perhaps you would prefer the Leatherette/SensaTec (imitation leather) that BMW uses...or one of the lesser leathers that isn't as soft (like Dakota Leather)...they don't usually suffer from wrinkling...and tend to stay taut throughout its life cycle.

It's also interesting because there's a huge (up to 28 pages now) thread about wrinkled leather on one of the G05 BimPost forum (the latest X5)...and many are upset that their Vernasca and Merino leather seats have wrinkles in them. Here's a direct link if you want to read it: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1548610

Also...I don't think Montana leather (in the e38s) would take well to "steaming"...perhaps I'm wrong...feel free to correct me if I am....but I can't recall steaming the hide of an animal as something that is common once it has been tanned, processed, and dyed.

BMW's Montana leather (used during the e38/e39 production years) would probably fall between the Dakota/Nevada & Nappa leathers in regards to grade. The step[-up leather would have been Nappa and/or WalkNappa leather during the e38's production years: