Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Someone found some e23 coilovers on a car in the yard

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay535is View Post
    I'm 97% certain that E23 front strut tubes are the same diameter as E28/32/34.
    BUT, E23 are the shortest of the bunch already.
    I do agree though that modifying the strut tubes to accept a more universal and cheaper insert for a coilover setup is the long term way to go.
    Jay, the e23 tubes might be the same bit it's the top tube/rod that enters the bushing that's larger, this from Jeff at Ireland, I actually have both at home, can double check with a gauge.

My Cars
    87 535i/84 €735i/8
    Right, we have a combination of factors that must be considered for doing 'not off the shelf' coilovers on the E23.
    Strut insert selection & size. The E23 insert body is shorter, but the top piston threads are fatter, so not just any camber plate bearing will work.
    This is why it might be time to look at swapping an E32/34 strut TUBE on the E23 knuckle. Wider selection of inserts, and more easily obtained camber plates.
    --Jay3->Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
    84 €735i manual, 88 528e/i
    Motronic 1 and 1.3 wiring
    Transmission & Diff gearing sheet

My Cars
    1978 BMW E23 733i
    Anyone still in the know for coilovers on E23's? My turn now... haha

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    Hi all,

Time to resurrect this thread again with a bittersweet update. I finally got some rear coilovers installed, unfortunately, it wasn't the KSports from the junkyard. Turns out the rear shocks don't fit including the top plate which is just ever so slightly offline with the mounting holes of the shock tower. I did reuse the KSport springs and paired them with a new set of Bilsteins and a coilover sleeve kit from Summit Racing. So I'm left with a KSport shock/coilover sleeve, collars, and top mount. The next step is to look at the KSports for the front but I'm not holding out hope that those are going to work either. The saga continues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12