Thread: Evolution of the "Hobby"

My Cars
    '88 e30 M3 (GTS2)

Evolution of the "Hobby"

I have been thinking about starting a build thread on my current car and took a look at some of my old pics. Lots of memories came back looking through the pics. So, I thought I'd post a few.

A little background: My first car was at 14 or 15 '63 midget which my brother first bought and unfortunately wrecked (not his fault). Parted it and doubled my money. At 16 my very first street car was a Datsun 510....ended up owning five different ones over the next couple of years then moved to Z cars.

Got older and bought a bike:

Got dumber and bought a race bike:

Bought a true sports car (second P-car...first was a 914 rust bucket)

My first BMW:

Restored it:

Bought another street BMW and went to the track!

Got some good guidance on track:

Bought a track BMW:

Got Faster:

Started Racing (and winning!):

Lost my job....

Got a new job and bought a second "Cheaper" race car to race/rent.

Had my first off with damage:

Came to a cross road. Decided the M10 with 98ish HP in the yellow car was.....not quite enough. The s14 was to expensive..... So the new build began....out with the old...

Next up is to start chronicling the four year long build which is very close to being track worthy!
    Damon in STL
    '88 e30 M3/M42t - GTS3 #72 - Motorcraft Ign., Volvo Injectors, Thrush Turbo Muffler, Open Source ECU, Aerospace Connectors, Lowes Polycarbonate, Alumacore Front Splitter and Rear Diffuser, Honda Radiator(s), Racer's Tape (white), Tornado, Various Stickers, Farm Implement Paint (gloss white), Nationwide Series Windshield (Fontana version), GMC Boost Solenoid
    My current car: e30 M342t Evolution

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5, 2005 BMW M3
    Love this kind of thread! Thanks for starting it. Looking forward to the next installment.

--Peter

great thread....

My Cars
    '88 e30 M3 (GTS2)
    ...so....here I was all set to start my build thread since I was planning on taking my freshly re-buil...er...re-designed....re-configured...hmm....re-fabricated race car out to a skid pad for testing, tuning, and safety checking when this thing drops in my lap! What was I to do?

Hey....you can just see my race car in the back there....well....uh....at least part of the wing!

It needed a wee bit of work on the hood.....so the M342Turbo got moved back into the garage.

My name is Damon in STL....and I suffer from CAR ADD....I guess shiny things catch my attention.....
    Last edited by Damon in STL; 07-21-2014 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Not really sure....just thought I should....
    Damon in STL
    '88 e30 M3/M42t - GTS3 #72 - Motorcraft Ign., Volvo Injectors, Thrush Turbo Muffler, Open Source ECU, Aerospace Connectors, Lowes Polycarbonate, Alumacore Front Splitter and Rear Diffuser, Honda Radiator(s), Racer's Tape (white), Tornado, Various Stickers, Farm Implement Paint (gloss white), Nationwide Series Windshield (Fontana version), GMC Boost Solenoid

My Cars
    02 M3
    Hi Damon, my name is Bart and I also have CAR ADD. Great post! Haha

My Cars
    E30, E36, E46
    Great thread. Love the honesty with all the twists and turns things take...I think everybody in this forum can relate.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    awesome thread! Enjoyed the humor too!

My Cars
    e30
    Excited to see the details of the white car. Also cool to see the progression of the hobby/addiction
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    84' 533i Turbo
    Still got the e28?

My Cars
    '88 e30 M3 (GTS2)
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy View Post
    Still got the e28?
    e28 is long gone ....sold to a friend.

UPDATES:

Converted to EFI

....24 hours later caught my garage on fire from a welding ember.

Cleaned it up a bit....

Pulling the engine and selling as a roller.....and moving the engine to this!

This is what happens when you need to replace a $4 gasket on your BMW X5. You end up removing the alternator, power steering pump, oil cooler lines, both front axles, front driveshaft, front diff, install new motor mounts, drop the front sub-frame......and use nearly every tool in your arsenal!!!!!

Damon in STL