Thread: 328i DME fault code

My Cars
    1995 M3 e36 286 Euro

328i DME fault code

Hi, i have a 328i e36 m52b28 and my inpa is telling me this fault code 100 DME Control Unit -Self-Test Failed, what means? it's important?

thanks for all!
    95' Euro Bmw M3 e36 286 Hp
    83' 318i E30 K-jetronic

My Cars
    1997 323iS
    Hello Mr Mpower, i saw your question about the DTC code 100 (on 2014).
    I have a OBD2 323 showing the same error and cranks but do not spark.
    How do you fixed your issue? Was it a bad ECU or perhaps a EWS sync issue?
    The ECU has never been tampered with, issue started after the car seated in the garage for 20 days.

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    I've never seen the code before, but it seems that the internal self test routine in the DME failed.. Alas, it doesn't say exactly what's wrong with the DME, so it could be something very simple like a chip that responds a bit too slow, or one or several bits in a memory bank that are not working properly (which could or could not have effects on the engine running) or it could be something severe like some essential electronics being defective..

I think you can compare it to the BIOS test that a computer performs when you turn it on. It quickly checks several things, among a memory test to see if everything is okay.

If you need another ECU, be sure to check the chip-tuned DME link in my signature (he also has a 328i version).. That way you'll have another DME, but with a bonus of up to +20 horses on a stock M52 E36.

Update: Did some reading, and the error should only occur when the checksum of the program memory in the DME doesn't match.. This should only happen if you're reflashing the program parts of the DME flash memory without updating the stored checkusm, which you haven't been doing. So, in your case, it probably means that the flash memory inside the DME is dying. You could try to have the DME reflashed, but this is probably more expensive (and probably won't fix the issue) than just buying another DME.. And, the 323i is severely down-tuned from factory, so using the chip-tuned DME linked below would be a nice upgrade. Or you can buy a cheap OBD2 323i (check part number) DME locally and let someone do the EWS alignment.
    Last edited by ed323i; 06-16-2018 at 06:57 PM.

1997 E36 BMW 323i
    (European) 275k km (171k miles), with following small mods:

My Cars
    1997 323iS
    Hey ed, thanks a lot for the info, Im in Brazil, that means there is no cheap used DME locally, guys around here will charge you an arm and both legs for anything BMW. I know this is sorta true for bimmers everywhere but around here is just stupid expensive.
    If i can verify that my DME is dead or diying, i´ll probably go that route.
    I appreciate the help and the suggestion
    So, how do you recommend i go about this? Could this perhaps be due to a discharged battery after several start attempts and or little time to the DME to boot between i plug the battery and start the car, and crank again and so on?
    For starters i´ll recharge the battery fully, clean the codes, and wait a minute before i try to start. Than i´ll check again for the code.

My Cars
    1997 323iS
    Also, looking at your sig, i too have a 328 exhaust, 80/88 temp switch and a 88 thermostat, but NO FDM (can get pretty warm around here). Also i removed the ASC trotthle body plate and left the rest alone.
    I ran a M50 manifold for a while but i have deleted because i botched the install (no kit) and introduced a vacuu leak. And even when i repaired i never liked the lack of torque down low. Perhaps i can run the M50 mani again with the tune.
    Last edited by tiago.luccas; 06-16-2018 at 09:25 PM.

My Cars
    11/98 E39 535i V8 M62TU
    Did you do any reprogramming on your ECU recently? When did the fault code 100 first appear? This fault code mostly appears when there is some adjustment in the ECU (tune etc.) with incorrectly calculated checksum (a data for checking the integrity of data in ECU).
    Martin Voigts
    BMW cars indy and locksmith
    1997 E36 318iS Sierrarot
    2012 Ford Mondeo

My Cars
    1997 323iS
    Well, as it turns out the car issue had nothing to do with the fault code 100. I had a cylinder flood issue and its fixed now. however dtc 100 is still showing up but as others suggested, to no effect on start or drive.

Just posting a closure for future reference.
    https://image.ibb.co/eYyyLJ/323_sig.jpg
    1997 E36 BMW 323i Avus Mtech – 255k km