Thread: Hard Top Convertible Tension Cables

My Cars
    2009 328i convertible

Hard Top Convertible Tension Cables

I've searched and cannot find a suitable answer. I have a 2009 328i hard top convertible with low mileage. The other day I noticed that the "tension cables" we're frayed and the black cable skin was severed, and the white interior of the cable was exposed. I called the dealership to see what was involved in replacing the cables and a cost estimate. Needless to say, he told me that I would need to bring it in so they could see it before providing an estimate. Before I do that, does anyone have any information on what is involved in replacing the cables? I'm assuming it isn't cheap, but does anyone have an idea of the cost?

Thank you,

Dave

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    Take a trip here
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=e93+frayed
    and in the very first post you will note Kat shows her frayed cords and I believe the cost was $400. New cords are much improved and from the reports I have heard have not frayed yet given considerable use.
    That site should give you information to use for making your decision where to get this done. I don't see this as a DIY unless you are very handy as this is not something you can do unless you make a few tools for pulling the strings through various locations.

Please post what you intend to do and what you actually did so we can all learn from your experience...
    BMWCCA 149159

My Cars
    2009 328i convertible
    Fun2drive, thank you for sharing the this thread. I found the part number for the steel rope and they are only 14.00 each. http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/s...roduct=1397524 part # 18 in the attached sketch. I'll see about getting to the dealer tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll continue to look for a DIY for the steel rope installation. I'll keep everyone updated.

My Cars
    2009 328i convertible
    fun2drive,

Thank you for sharing. I also found this post from Kat noting that there may be a TSB/SIB out there. I'll reach out to KAT, but does anyone have the details for this TSB?

"Hey Fun2D,

Since my original post where I discovered my worn cords at 22 months of ownership, and the subsequent warranty repair, I've not lessened my top exercising the least little bit. The new cords are closing in on the age of the original equipment was when I noticed the failure and the new cords (ropes) show little to no wear.

IIRC, when I had my car in for the warranty replacement, the service manager (my former SA) immediately noted there was a TSB/SIB for the replacement on 2007-2009 cars. If you go back to my original thread on this Mace14 nailed it:"

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    Good to know we can all learn from this.
    BMWCCA 149159

My Cars
    2009 328i convertible
    fun2drive,
    Just a little follow up. Dropped my car off for service this morning at the BMW dealership in Fairfax, and asked them to look at the frayed tension ropes. Dealership service advisor called a few hours later and said that the technician looked and could not see any frayed tension ropes. I explained to her that the top had to be partially opened to be able to see them. I also told here that there may be a TSB out there in reference to the fraying ropes. She quickly reminded me that a TSB didn't mean that the dealer had to replace them, to which I replied "I agree, it is discretionary". She said she'd go have the tech check again for the tension rope. She called me back again and said that the technician checked again and to repair the tension rope, would be a major ordeal, but wasn't sure, so she would have the master technician look at it. She also said she couldn't find the TSB. She called again (3rd time) and said the master tech looked at it and said everything looked fine other than the outer shielding of the tension rope was frayed, but the rope itself was OK. The cost to replace the two tension ropes would be 545.00. I asked her if she could provide me with a write-up for the replacement of the ropes so I could understand what was involved, and she said she would include it with my paperwork. She also stated that she did find a TSB for the replacement of the spring, but nothing for the tension rope. I'll continue to look for a TSB related to the tension rope.

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    I may be wrong but I believe if you go back to the other forum and search some posts by KAT she posted that SB and others have too with the correct parts.

If your car is under warranty take it to another dealer and explain with the SB in hand that frayed outer cord is the beginning of failed tension cords and you want them replaced. Have the SA go see the problem and not just drop it off and tell them , show them and if they give you the business request in writing that they saw the cords frayed and refused to replace them. Use your cell phone take pictures and download them and print them and hold them in a file for when the day comes that they fail. You will have good documentation for a good will repair since this was twice reported by you and refused by BMW to replace a part clearly failing. Also request in writing what constitutes a decision to replace damaged cords and have that with you. Your dealer is a jack ass to be frank and is clearly dodging their responsibility...
    BMWCCA 149159

My Cars
    2009 328i convertible
    The vehicle is no longer under warranty. She said she could not find the information for replacing the tension rope, but did give me the write-up for replacing the tension spring. It is for 2007 models, but the process should be similar, so I'll post it later. The spring needs to be removed to get to the tension rope. When she gave me the write-up, she said that the ropes were fine and I shouldn't worry about them. Thank you for the suggestions, I'll definitely get some documentation.

My Cars
    2009 328i convertible
    Well, I finally found a guide for replacing the tension ropes. Doesn't look too difficult, so hopefully it will assist some others here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdROyUk6pvU

My Cars
    2009 328i convertible
    I'll try posting this video clip again. It describes the process for replacing the tension rope on the hardtop convertible.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdROyUk6pvU

My Cars
    2009 328i convertible
    Here are a few pictures of my tension rope. In one of the pictures is a link to a youtube DIY for replacing the tension ropes. With the assistance of the video and the pictures, replacement of the ropes doesn't look too difficult. I'm still looking for a TSB/IB and when I find it, I'll post it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2007 335i

Purchased the tension ropes

Has has anyone replaced these ropes on their own? The video looks easy along with the pictures but I'm just a bit hesitant.

Quote Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post
    Here are a few pictures of my tension rope. In one of the
    pictures is a link to a youtube DIY for replacing the tension ropes. With the assistance of the video and the pictures, replacement of the ropes doesn't look too difficult. I'm still looking for a TSB/IB and when I find it, I'll post it.

My Cars
    335i
    Both cords are frayed on my 2010 335 and I just got a quote from the dealership that it will be $1700! They told me they cant replace just the cords but it needs a 'new headliner kit'. Does that seem right?

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    Did they offer some lubricant with that quote?
    Replacing the cords is not that hard unless you wish to fork over the money.
    Dealership is frankly talking about something they don't know flip about.
    That has to be a service advisor talking. A tech could replace the cords in 20 minutes.
    I would DIY the cords then see if the headliner is bad.
    Just what is bad with the headliner? From my experience the headliner needs the new cords to hold it firmly in place.
    1700 is ludicrous.
    BMWCCA 149159

My Cars
    E93

Easy Cable Replacement

I just did this. It is very easy. It took about 30 mins for the first one and about 15 minutes for the second. One of mine failed after 7.5 years. The flap damaged the leather so I now need to replace that trim piece too

A few tips.

The cable is looped at the top end. it is hard to push this through the hole in the flap. I pushed thin wire through and then used this to pull the cable through.

The upper eyelet does not need to be removed as the cable end will pass through it sideways.

At the sensor, it matters which way round the metal loop on the end of the cable is orientated. If it is not passing through then turn it 180 deg. and try again.

The bottom eyelet has to be removed and it is hard to get to with a regular torx driver, which is too long to fit straight. I used a T20 torx bit held in an adjustable wrench to get it.

Connect the metal loop at the bottom end to the spring before replacing the bottom eyelet, otherwise the cable is too short to attach the bottom end to the spring.

The cables come 2 to a pack (even though it says 1 piece.) Replace both of them to avoid the second one breaking and damaging the other side!. It is a really bad design!

My Cars
    91 E31, 94 E31csi,07 E93
    Hi Naillg, can you give me the part number for the cords? Thanks for posting the instructions. I am going to try to do the repair myself.

Thanks in advance,

- Rob

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Subscribed, based on my '08 E93's inevitable future.
    I appreciate everyone's input here. Makes life so much better.