Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: E38 complete rebuild

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    This is how it currently looks from inside, I'm really trying my best not to cut the massive amount of wires that go through the firewall. I really do want take out the wires without cutting any of them, but it's so time consuming. I mean, I'm still gonna have to cut off every connector for ever part, say the connector for the windows, locks, lights, seats, lighter, radio, dash, headlights, taillights, plate light, and everything I'm gonna reuse. I think I will, once the car is finally ready to rebuild, it's gonna be running on a simple and small electrical grid.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Holy crap that looks like a scene from the machine world in The Matrix.

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    You don't need to cut the connectors off, almost every one of them has removable pins. Just remove each wire and label which pin they are for when you reassemble.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    2015 328i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Second2ndward View Post
    This is how it currently looks from inside, I'm really trying my best not to cut the massive amount of wires that go through the firewall. I really do want take out the wires without cutting any of them, but it's so time consuming. I mean, I'm still gonna have to cut off every connector for ever part, say the connector for the windows, locks, lights, seats, lighter, radio, dash, headlights, taillights, plate light, and everything I'm gonna reuse. I think I will, once the car is finally ready to rebuild, it's gonna be running on a simple and small electrical grid.
    Wow that looks like an absolute disaster.

My Cars
    Imola740i, turbo eclipse
    Ummmmmmmm..........

My Cars
    1995 bmw 740IL
    He is REBUILDING the whole car, nice lol.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by daniels635turbo View Post
    Holy crap that looks like a scene from the machine world in The Matrix.
    YES, it does!! It's crazy.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by psjr View Post
    You don't need to cut the connectors off, almost every one of them has removable pins. Just remove each wire and label which pin they are for when you reassemble.
    Oh, ok. Yes, I accidentally broke one of the connectors and saw these pins you're talking about. Thanks for the tip.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by M I C H A E L View Post
    Wow that looks like an absolute disaster.
    As for right now, yes. A total disaster. Just need to take more crap out. Engine comes out Monday.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by WarMachine7 View Post
    He is REBUILDING the whole car, nice lol.
    Yea, I hope it comes out right. Thanks.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by board57796 View Post
    Just keep in mind, a roll cage might protect you if you crash from driving too fast on public roads/running from the cops, but it will not protect the people in any cars that happen to be in your way... My two cents.
    X a million. That's what the track is for. BTW, I'm sure we have a few LEOs on this board.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Taking out the rear suspension. All of it. Then the crossmember that holds the differential after the engine comes out, I fear the weight might make it fall forward. I can feel the back being lighter since everything is out. It's so awesome just taking it apart.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 750il
    Quote Originally Posted by Second2ndward View Post
    Taking out the rear suspension. All of it. Then the crossmember that holds the differential after the engine comes out, I fear the weight might make it fall forward. I can feel the back being lighter since everything is out. It's so awesome just taking it apart.
    It really is quite fun tearing one apart. I recently broke down a 750 with a bad engine. I enjoyed it but I had no intention of putting it back together. These cars are pretty complex. Hoping the best for you and I'm definitely following along because I'm extremely curious to see how this turns out. I'd love to get my hands on those wheels you've got sitting there.

Sent from my iPad using BF.com

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBS750il View Post
    It really is quite fun tearing one apart. I recently broke down a 750 with a bad engine. I enjoyed it but I had no intention of putting it back together. These cars are pretty complex. Hoping the best for you and I'm definitely following along because I'm extremely curious to see how this turns out. I'd love to get my hands on those wheels you've got sitting there. Sent from my iPad using BF.com
    Well, I'm am putting some parts back in. The wheels well, I have all four, but I hit the curb with the front right, and the rim is dented and cracked. a car changed lanes quickly without a signal and I slammed on the brake but wasn't enough. And I hit the curb, instead of hitting the other car. I was so pissed!!!

My Cars
    2001 E38 iL
    I'm beginning to think that this thread is a joke, except for the fact that the op has the car and is truly tearing it apart. I mean, quit a so called illegal job to build a car to commit illegal driving acts and is posting it all up for everyone to read.

I just don't understand how one can afford to do buy all the things needed to build a perfect E38 while at the same time being jobless and on the cusp of going to jail. Trust me, jail is in the cards.

Good luck and I'm subscribed to this thread.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Raudi Driver View Post
    I'm beginning to think that this thread is a joke, except for the fact that the op has the car and is truly tearing it apart. I mean, quit a so called illegal job to build a car to commit illegal driving acts and is posting it all up for everyone to read. I just don't understand how one can afford to do buy all the things needed to build a perfect E38 while at the same time being jobless and on the cusp of going to jail. Trust me, jail is in the cards. Good luck and I'm subscribed to this thread.
    No joke! I'm haven't spent a dime on this car! Except for a $10 tie rod remover and that's it!! I don't need to spend any money to tear down! Just to rebuild. But that's it, I still have about a week of tearing down. And thanks.. I'm doing this daily. Not weekly or monthly like other projects.
    Last edited by Second2ndward; 07-06-2014 at 09:48 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    I sorry!! I had to cut all the wires! I had to give up on just the wires. There's too many to take out in one piece. I guess I could reuse the long set of wires. And the inside is almost done being stripped. Just waiting for tomorrow for the engine lift and out the engine goes. Gonna sell the engine with transmission. I'll post pictures once it's out. Lmk if anyone is interested.

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    That's too bad... a nav harness will get you good money. (And is easy to pull if you have the carpet all out)
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    2015 328i M Sport
    theres no way this car is going to see the road again... Sigh.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by psjr View Post
    That's too bad... a nav harness will get you good money. (And is easy to pull if you have the carpet all out)
    I did have the carpet out, and everything unplugged. It's just a hassle to undo everything. Oh, well... It felt bad.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by M I C H A E L View Post
    theres no way this car is going to see the road again... Sigh.
    It will, not anytime soon. But it will.

My Cars
    2001 E38 740I Sport
    This thread is interesting. Can't wait to see what you come up with. All that copper you removed has to be worth something.
    Subscribed.

-Messan
    The above is my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.
    01 Shorty Sporty BLK/BLK

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by 01740ISP View Post
    This thread is interesting. Can't wait to see what you come up with. All that copper you removed has to be worth something. Subscribed. -Messan
    Thanks. I will post frequently.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Raudi Driver View Post
    I'm beginning to think that this thread is a joke, except for the fact that the op has the car and is truly tearing it apart. I mean, quit a so called illegal job to build a car to commit illegal driving acts and is posting it all up for everyone to read. I just don't understand how one can afford to do buy all the things needed to build a perfect E38 while at the same time being jobless and on the cusp of going to jail. Trust me, jail is in the cards. Good luck and I'm subscribed to this thread.
    Maybe it will end up being a police auction car for a couple hundred dollars. I do hope he was joking about the illegal activities, and no offense, but if not, hope he gets busted and saved lives by doing so.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet429 View Post
    Maybe it will end up being a police auction car for a couple hundred dollars. I do hope he was joking about the illegal activities, and no offense, but if not, hope he gets busted and saved lives by doing so.
    Well, I think I'd kill myself if this car goes to someone else. I'm building this car for myself, not for someone else. Hmmm. Small seat explosives for unauthorized users? Hmmm, tempting...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast