Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: E38 complete rebuild

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by 740il97g View Post
    I really need black carpet. Good luck with the project.
    I have the black carpet for the whole floor the car, but I think, I'm keeping it, it's going back it since it's molded to take the floor. The floor is crazy molded. But, I'll post in here what I'm going to get rid of, maybe it'll be on that list, if I can find someone to re-do the carpet a different color.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by zakizzy View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. It will either be the worst fail ever, or the best and craziest E38 build anyone will ever come across!
    Thanks, I hope it'll be the best build ever. I know if I put my very best, it'll be something new and I don't think done before. Gee, I gotta take a lot more photos.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWtechnician View Post
    Looking good so far. Great pics - - - Updated - - - LS in the future?
    Thanks! And YES! And LS1 with manual transmission! But that's the last thing to get, the engine.

My Cars
    2001 750iL Sport
    Man, I can barely keep part/screw locations in in the right place after taking my center console apart and putting it back together 15 minutes later. Best of luck with your project! I'd like to strip down an E38 someday as well. Not my 750 of course

Buck - 2001 750iL
    3.15 Sport Rear Differential - M-Sport Steering Wheel - Bi-Xenon Headlights
    B&G Lowering Springs - M-Sport Seats - 15mm Spacers - Muffler Delete

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by board57796 View Post
    Man, I can barely keep part/screw locations in in the right place after taking my center console apart and putting it back together 15 minutes later. Best of luck with your project! I'd like to strip down an E38 someday as well. Not my 750 of course
    Yes, it's tricky, keeping all screws accounted for. But I put the screws back in after they come out, I just tighten them with my fingers, not all the way. It's okay so far. And Thanks!

My Cars
    2001 E38 iL
    At the risk of getting the op upset, I see no win to this.

It appears that you are trying to turn this car into something it's not supposed to be.

It also seems like you are doing this without a plan of attack, as seen by the hammer on the AC system and the fact that your are taking all the luxury out of the car while at the same time installing a luxurious rollcage (if there is such a thing).

Not trying to upset you, just trying to figure out why?

My Cars
    328, 525, 740, R1200RT
    Quote Originally Posted by NikosX View Post
    This car will never go back together.
    +1, but I wish the owner the best learning experience.
    Last edited by Old525i; 07-04-2014 at 02:45 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Raudi Driver View Post
    At the risk of getting the op upset, I see no win to this. It appears that you are trying to turn this car into something it's not supposed to be. It also seems like you are doing this without a plan of attack, as seen by the hammer on the AC system and the fact that your are taking all the luxury out of the car while at the same time installing a luxurious rollcage (if there is such a thing). Not trying to upset you, just trying to figure out why?
    Most if the interior is going back in, the rollcage will be hidden as much as possible, and cut the panels to go around the tubing of the roll cage. I have already drawn this out in my head many times, every day that goes by I see more of this car that I've never seen before, and it surprises me how much room there is for a lot more than just an engine, and tranny. And, no. I doubt anything upsets me.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Taking out the radiator and trans oil cooler, refrigerant cooler, and front support beam. Now the engine is exposed. I ordered a 1 ton engine lift and a 3/4 ton leveler which I'll get on Monday by FedEx. I really can't wait to take out the engine with tranny. And yes, I will be selling the engine, the engine runs fine, the tranny needs work, maybe just a oil leak. A 50 dollar fix could've prevented this whole project but oh well, I want this car different than others. And hopefully one day, it will be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2001 735i High Line
    I completely stripped my wrecked E38 down to the last nut and bolt, even got the complete wiring harness out in one piece - that thing weighs like 40KG! Made a few thousand bucks selling parts out of it, so it was not only fun but profitable. However, I would have to say that there is no way on this earth that I would be able to get it all back together again without having a bunch of bits left over. Too many parts, too many screws ... I wish you all the luck in completing your project!
    '80 733i 208,000 km Granite Silber
    '88 535i 180,000 km Cirrus Blau
    '00 735i 265,000 km Cosmos Schwartz (deceased)
    '01 735i 132,000 km Cosmos Schwartz

My Cars
    e60
    Why a roll cage? A long e38 isn't really the best platform for racing, why do you need a cage?

My Cars
    07/97 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by e30ncsu View Post
    Why a roll cage? A long e38 isn't really the best platform for racing, why do you need a cage?
    I would assume he doesn't NEED it, merely just wants it...?

All I can say right now is good luck. I'm very curious to see how this project turns out.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Podmore View Post
    I completely stripped my wrecked E38 down to the last nut and bolt, even got the complete wiring harness out in one piece - that thing weighs like 40KG! Made a few thousand bucks selling parts out of it, so it was not only fun but profitable. However, I would have to say that there is no way on this earth that I would be able to get it all back together again without having a bunch of bits left over. Too many parts, too many screws ... I wish you all the luck in completing your project!
    Wow, that's awesome! I bet you had fun taking apart. There is a lot of screws and parts. And thanks, it's just a waiting game on this weather. No garage so I do it in the sun, or at night.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by e30ncsu View Post
    Because I do plan on driving fast, I've always driven fast on the street, and I just love the thrill. And well. I don't want to crash and die. So, even though it's unnecessary, I'd still like one out in for safety. Not a complete roll cage, just some in case I flipped it.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by 98740i View Post
    I would assume he doesn't NEED it, merely just wants it...? All I can say right now is good luck. I'm very curious to see how this project turns out.
    Yup, I want one. And thanks. I'll have a whole month of free time now. Quit my job because I hated being there and there was a risk of going jail if I kept working there, so now I'm gonna be at home. More time for this car, but it's raining out.

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Going to jail for working?
    Sheez California is odd!!!
    Seems likely you'll have some challenges registering your car and passing smog...... or is the roll cage for saftey running from the fuzz!!
    Either way this is a pop corn worthy build!

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    That is "pop corn" for watching this unfold........ (just for clarification)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by daniels635turbo View Post
    Going to jail for working? Sheez California is odd!!! Seems likely you'll have some challenges registering your car and passing smog...... or is the roll cage for saftey running from the fuzz!! Either way this is a pop corn worthy build!
    Well, I live in Texas. I worked in a Gameroom and it was registered under my name and getting paid to use my name. But new law says violation of new regulation gets me a $10,000 fine for EVERY violation. And well, they haven't paid me in 2 weeks, how can they possibly afford $40,000 in fines? So, I quit two days ago. And yes, the roll cage is for running from the cops. The first week I had this car I actually did. I didn't have any plates yet, and he chased me for about 5 minutes, and I lost him in an empty stretch of highway. It's was the best memory I had with this car.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    That is "pop corn" for watching this unfold........ (just for clarification)
    Yea, it's just a lot of work that has to be done. Time will tell.

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Dude you are one wild character!!
    I just hope some day the cops dont subpoena this thread for evidence and I get implicated!!!!
    Im joking. Kind of.

My Cars
    2001 750iL Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Second2ndward View Post
    Because I do plan on driving fast, I've always driven fast on the street, and I just love the thrill. And well. I don't want to crash and die. So, even though it's unnecessary, I'd still like one out in for safety. Not a complete roll cage, just some in case I flipped it.

Just keep in mind, a roll cage might protect you if you crash from driving too fast on public roads/running from the cops, but it will not protect the people in any cars that happen to be in your way...

My two cents.

Buck - 2001 750iL
    3.15 Sport Rear Differential - M-Sport Steering Wheel - Bi-Xenon Headlights
    B&G Lowering Springs - M-Sport Seats - 15mm Spacers - Muffler Delete

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Waite waite..... you do own this car dont you? Are we watching a car being converted?
    No ....I really am joking

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Dude you are one wild character!! I just hope some day the cops dont subpoena this thread for evidence and I get implicated!!!! Im joking. Kind of.
    LOL!! Well, I sure hope not.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by board57796 View Post
    Just keep in mind, a roll cage might protect you if you crash from driving too fast on public roads/running from the cops, but it will not protect the people in any cars that happen to be in your way... My two cents.
    That's true, but I try my very best to be careful, and I'm not always gonna be driving that fast. Would be fun tho.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Waite waite..... you do own this car dont you? Are we watching a car being converted? No ....I really am joking
    Yea, it's mine. And yes it's being turned into something better. Maybe. It just looks like shit now because it's in pieces, but it's going to be put together and then teared down a second time.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast