Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: E38 complete rebuild

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    Got no details sorry. It was actually an LS1 with a 4l60e transmission, but that's all I can find on it. There are a LOT of threads out there from people who were talking about doing an LS swap, but never really seemed to get there in the end. This guy is talking about doing an LS1 swap into his E38 but it's an ongoing project;

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=50028

The best option would be to swap in an S62 engine as those will mate up without much issue and all of the dash / cluster functions will work perfectly. I recall the LS1 swapped E38 I mentioned having ridiculous gauges in the cockpit everywhere, looked really bizarre.

But hey, if people can cram an M70 V12 into that tiny E36 engine bay, then really anything is possible!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobek View Post
    Got no details sorry. It was actually an LS1 with a 4l60e transmission, but that's all I can find on it. There are a LOT of threads out there from people who were talking about doing an LS swap, but never really seemed to get there in the end. This guy is talking about doing an LS1 swap into his E38 but it's an ongoing project; http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=50028 The best option would be to swap in an S62 engine as those will mate up without much issue and all of the dash / cluster functions will work perfectly. I recall the LS1 swapped E38 I mentioned having ridiculous gauges in the cockpit everywhere, looked really bizarre. But hey, if people can cram an M70 V12 into that tiny E36 engine bay, then really anything is possible!
    Cool! Thanks, I'll read up on it. These e38 are really nice cars, and not many out there that look as good anymore. I want to keep this one alive for years to come. It's just so roomy inside and rides so smooth. I hope nothing comes up that makes me stop this project, it's just so interesting, I'm learning as I go. And that's how this starts.

2001 BMW 740iL

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    22nd ward, I got mad appreciation for what you are doing, but initially I wondered the same thing as Michael- WTH are you doing all of this interior gutting for? The problems you mentioned were all under the hood and related, but seeing as how ypu keep preaching complete rebuild of everything and you got the time to do it. I realize maybe it's just an unconventional approach you started with and unconventional ideas/concepts? Anyway good luck... Maybe I can learn something from your efforts too.
    "A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by kahlilj View Post
    22nd ward, I got mad appreciation for what you are doing, but initially I wondered the same thing as Michael- WTH are you doing all of this interior gutting for? The problems you mentioned were all under the hood and related, but seeing as how ypu keep preaching complete rebuild of everything and you got the time to do it. I realize maybe it's just an unconventional approach you started with and unconventional ideas/concepts? Anyway good luck... Maybe I can learn something from your efforts too.
    Thanks! I know it seems unnecessary to take out the interior, but it was to learn how it all works, remove anything that add weight that's not gonna be used, like all the soundproofing material, which is all old and crummy, and I know that is heavy, plus the sound won't bother me, I like a loud car. And I'll try to help out with the pictures if anyone needs any info on this as I go along. Thanks again. I won't let yall down, lol.

2001 BMW 740iL

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Worked a little bit on the car today, hot AF out there! Removed all wires from the trunk going through the backseat sand now, there just laying on the from seat area. Next, rear suspension.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Dropped the whole exhaust.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1997 BMW 750il
    Quote Originally Posted by Second2ndward View Post
    Dropped the whole exhaust.
    No resonator? How did the exhaust sound?

Sent from my iPhone5s using BF.com

My Cars
    E34sx5
    This car will never go back together.
    95' 540i6 Supercharged
    95' 540i6 4.7 Stroker
    95' 550i6 M70 Conversion

My Cars
    2015 328i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by NikosX View Post
    I honestly find it pointless going that far with it.

My Cars
    E38 E36
    I have to ask: what are we really witnessing coming apart here?
    "Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, alright. We got 3:15 open differential with an M5 sway-bar outback, a 4.4 liter V-8 with Bosch sequential fuel injection, four cams, 32 valves, VANOS units using Beisan Systems seals, 10 to 1 pistons, a conservative 282 macht schnell horsepower, all planted to the earth with AC Schnitzer Type II Racing Wheels and Michelin PS2s at all four corners, an M5 rear sway-bar outback, and a Strong-Strut tower brace up front. We're talkin' some Deutschland muscle."

My Cars
    Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt C View Post
    I have to ask: what are we really witnessing coming apart here?
    The seams on the back of OP's head.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL
    At the rate of failures and stuff I am having to replace on mine, I will probably have it completely rebuilt eventually anyway, he is just doing it all at once.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBS750il View Post
    No resonator? How did the exhaust sound? Sent from my iPhone5s using BF.com
    Oh, about the resonator. When I first got the car, it was quiet, so knowing me, I had Flowmaster 40's put in and I asked the shop to remove the resonator. It's sounded beautiful.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by NikosX View Post
    Well, check back in a few months, I must might. I don't plan on giving up on this like some other projects I've seen. Giving up after they've done so little. I'm taking it the extra mile with this. I can just visualize it already. Sitting low on 18's. All black. I just can't wait.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet429 View Post
    At the rate of failures and stuff I am having to replace on mine, I will probably have it completely rebuilt eventually anyway, he is just doing it all at once.
    Yes, I want to just strip the car bare down to its frame and rebuild it, starting with the suspension, control arms, tie rods etc, then rebuild from there. It's just a fight with time and this damn heat. I would like to do it at nights and finish first thing in the morning. But I works nights, no days off ever, and 12 hr shifts...

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by M I C H A E L View Post
    I honestly find it pointless going that far with it.

To you it might be pointless, to me it's a hobby, a thing to distract me, kill time, and just learn as much as I can by carefully destroying this car. I'm doing this simply because I can, there's nobody that can bother me, and I'm not spending any money for this project, yet...

My Cars
    91-E30iX,00-E38750iL
    I'm liking this project...I hope you are successful and get the car just as you want it.
    00' 750iL | Highline | 6/1999 Build Date | BMW Style 32s | 255/35/20 - 285/30/20 Michelin Pilot Sports A/S | H&R Springs | aFe Air Filters | "Celis Style" tail lights

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Hardly pointless! The amount of things you'll learn from this! You'll be able to help anyone out with how-tos from then on! The pictures you'll get - hopefully - will be priceless! Ever wonder whats underneath _______ well here's exactly what you need to do to get to it efficiently AND without breaking stuff now that you've learned!

Totally dig this, but man does it give me a chill when I think about just HOW MUCH work this really is!

Keep it up man, and most of all, enjoy!

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    2015 328i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Second2ndward View Post

To you it might be pointless, to me it's a hobby, a thing to distract me, kill time, and just learn as much as I can by carefully destroying this car. I'm doing this simply because I can, there's nobody that can bother me, and I'm not spending any money for this project, yet...
    What's the point of stripping it to frame?

My Cars
    2000 Bmw 750il
    I really need black carpet. Good luck with the project.

My Cars
    E38 740iL & E60 545i
    I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. It will either be the worst fail ever, or the best and craziest E38 build anyone will ever come across!
    E34 525iM (gone) - E39 540iM (gone) - E38 740il - E60 545i M-Sport - '80 Cadillac Coupe De Ville (in progress) - 2007 Acura MDX (daily)

My Cars
    Bmw
    Looking good so far. Great pics

- - - Updated - - -

LS in the future?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by boxjelly View Post
    I'm liking this project...I hope you are successful and get the car just as you want it.
    Thank you, I'll be posting here a lot. I'm looking coward to showing everyone what I've done. And hopefully they finish theirs, if they haven't gotten rid of there projects.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamos View Post
    Hardly pointless! The amount of things you'll learn from this! You'll be able to help anyone out with how-tos from then on! The pictures you'll get - hopefully - will be priceless! Ever wonder whats underneath _______ well here's exactly what you need to do to get to it efficiently AND without breaking stuff now that you've learned! Totally dig this, but man does it give me a chill when I think about just HOW MUCH work this really is! Keep it up man, and most of all, enjoy!
    Thanks, and yes I know I will learn from this. Anyone can ask me how this or that was done! I'll try my best to help anyone. More than likely I'll be keeping most of the interior parts like seats, carpeting, dashboard. And whatever is left over including the engine and tranny will be sold or maybe just given away to help other with their e38.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by M I C H A E L View Post
    What's the point of stripping it to frame?
    We'll, if it's not too much trouble, I would like to install a simple rollcage. A custom rollcage that I'll draw to my liking. Something low profile where it's there and safe, but still have the luxurious look all around. And for that, I need a bare frame.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast