Thread: E60 aircon clutch / relay

My Cars
    530d M Sport 2007

E60 aircon clutch / relay

Despite being re-gassed my 530d is not blowing cold air. On inspection it appears the magnetic clutch is not engaging. My first thought was to check the relay but I can't find a diagram for a Lci 2007 model to show me where it is. I took the cover under the sump off yesterday to see if I could check if 12v was going to the clutch but there are two connectors one with three wires the other with just one so I didn't know whick wires to check.
    Can anyone give any advice please.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport 5spd
    have you checked the fuses. i had the same issue in my e39. check fuse 9 and 20

2002 530i Sport 5 speed

My Cars
    2005 545
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelduckett View Post
    Despite being re-gassed my 530d is not blowing cold air. On inspection it appears the magnetic clutch is not engaging. My first thought was to check the relay but I can't find a diagram for a Lci 2007 model to show me where it is. I took the cover under the sump off yesterday to see if I could check if 12v was going to the clutch but there are two connectors one with three wires the other with just one so I didn't know whick wires to check.
    Can anyone give any advice please.
    My friends car (also a e60 530 ) ac stopped working compressor wasn't engaging. I pulled out # 30 fuse which is the automatic ac system fuse . Stuck it back in and it fired up and worked. We noticed that the progs on the fuse had some type of corrosion on it . So it was not making good contact . That's all it was ,, and its been working fine ever since..
    Last edited by H F; 07-09-2014 at 05:53 PM.

My Cars
    2007 530xi Wagon
    Where is the AC relay located? - 2007 530xi wagon/touring

My Cars
    I don't think there is a relay. I believe the DME grounds the transistor, sending 12v to the compressor.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    The e60-61 IHKA system uses a variable displacement A/C compressor for the entire model run, 2004-2010 model years.
    The IHKA module, modulates a pulsed signal to a sylenoid valve, located to the rear of the variable displacement compressor. If you examine the pulley hub assembly, all you will find is a rubber damper assembly connecting the pulley hub assembly to the compressor, no electro magnet clutch assembly. The compressor is running whenever the engine is running. The IHKA senses load conditions when A/C is called for and adjusts the compressors output accordingly.

My Cars
    2007 530xi Wagon
    Thanks for the info on IHKA system and no relay to look out for. I probably should have checked this earlier, but just noticed aux fan does not come on when AC is selected. Aux fan does not come on with the coolant sensor unplugged either. I do have 12v coming to the plug for fan. I suspect the aux fan needs replaced and this what is keeping the compressor from running?

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    Might want to check for error codes being thrown by the car. Obtain a BMW compatible OBD code reader, not a generic reader, as would be found at Autozone or the like, as BMW has more than 200 specific error codes for their product. Carly for BMW have a app for smart phones as one example or one of the laptop based products such as INPA, ISTA/D, NCSExert, to name a few. Just can't throw parts at these cars. My 05 530i has no fewer than 37 Modules, read computers, controlling it. Your aux cooling fan is the perfect example, yes it runs on 12v DC, but the DME modulates a pulsed low voltage signal to it to tell it to start, stop and at what speed it should run... Just don't want to drop $450-500 for a aux cooling fan assembly if you don't know that is what is wrong.

My Cars
    For sure, scan for codes with a competent code reader. But a simple test of the fan would be to jump power from the large red wire to the smaller signal wire. It should run full speed with 12v on the signal wire.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2007 530xi Wagon
    Thanks for the code reader recommendation. I found two related codes from INPA, 2EEA (temp sensor), and 2EFE (e-blower), however, these could have been from me removing temp sensor earlier to see if fan would go on (it did not). I cleared memory, drove a few times and only have one unrelated code coming up A468. I was able to test fan in INPA - it DID work at multiple speeds - sort of stumbled to test - all in german. In INPA how do I test or rule out, if I can, 1) DME, 2) coolant temp sensor, 3) AC pressure sensor, 4) Manually run ac compressor? Once I get into engine group it's all in german, any help is appreciated. Thank you!

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    For English verses German on INPA: Start windows Notepad (not Word), hit File / Open, choose "all files" (not just *.txt) and open up c:\ec-apps\inpa\cfgdat\e60.eng (which is the English language menu for the E60 chassis).

My Cars
    2007 530xi Wagon
    Thanks jtbgonesailing for the English tip on INPA!

Update, manually tried to turn on compressor through INPA - I believe it gave me a % type, but nothing seemed to happen. Last thing would be to test high level pressure sensor - any tips on how to do this? Any other items to check or have I zeroed in on a new compressor? Which was replaced with a re-manufactured one in November coincidentally - evaporator was replaced at the same time, but not expansion valve.

My Cars
    2007 530xi Wagon
    Updates:

Pulled high level pressure sensor and aux fan goes on, but fan does not come on when connected (AC is selected in the cabin).

Looks like 5V is going to compressor, but still no cooling.

What is the right voltage to compressor, 12? or variable? Also seems like aux fan should always be on when AC is selected?

My Cars
    530d m sport 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dambrose View Post
    Updates:

Pulled high level pressure sensor and aux fan goes on, but fan does not come on when connected (AC is selected in the cabin).

Looks like 5V is going to compressor, but still no cooling.

What is the right voltage to compressor, 12? or variable? Also seems like aux fan should always be on when AC is selected?

Hi it sounds like we have both got the same problem here. I have been pulling my hair out for weeks trying to resolve this .
    Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated and beer tokens 🍺🍺🍺

My Cars
    BMW 545i E60 N62B44 v8,

Ihka e60,

Quote Originally Posted by Andy260478 View Post
    Hi it sounds like we have both got the same problem here. I have been pulling my hair out for weeks trying to resolve this .
    Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated and beer tokens 🍺🍺🍺

the IHKA module in the E60 is designed to work with a variable displacement compressor, it sends 5v to the compressor pressure solenoid for a/c compressor operation.
    like in my own case if you install a manual clutch compressor which requires a 12v supply for the compressor clutch, you may have a compressor that does not start.

what i did in my own case was to identify the compressor ground and the compressor live wires, then send in 12v from the battery terminal from the hood, if the clutch clicks and cooling is produced then you can proceed to the next step below.

items needed
    1 relay
    2. 2 in one insulated copper wires.
    3. insulation tape.

connect the 5v from the ecu to the relay gates and then ground the negative terminal, this will make a click allowing current of 12v to flow through the other two terminals to the compressor clutch.

please consult a technician and do more research before to do this, 100% solution in case of using a manual clutch compressor in place of a variable one.

thank you
    enomichael@gmail.com

My Cars
    e61 touring RIP e39 wagn
    How it works

The auxiliary fan cools the condenser. The auxiliary fan is switched on at road speeds below 70 km/h (approx. 43 mph). The auxiliary fan is switched off at road speeds above 80 km/h (approx. 50 mph).
    At higher speeds, the air stream alone is sufficient to cool the condenser. At lower speeds and when stationary (idle), the cooling of the condenser must be supported or maintained by the auxiliary fan.

The speed of the auxiliary fan depends on the refrigerant pressure. Speed is regulated as follows:

The refrigerant pressure sensor sends a signal to the IHKA control unit that is linear to the refrigerant pressure.
    The IHKA control unit calculates the fan speed needed for the auxiliary fan. The 15 possible fan speeds are assigned to pressure values in the refrigerant circuit. Thus demand is transmitted by the IHKA control unit through the body CAN and powertrain CAN to the DME/DDE.
    The DME/DDE control unit regulates the speed of the auxiliary fan with a pulse-modulated signal (PWM signal).
    The maps for the auxiliary fan are encoded in the DME/DDE control unit. The encoded map for the fan (encoding viscous fan coupling or electric fan) always gives at least speed 1 when the air conditioner is switched on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e61 touring RIP e39 wagn
    IHKA basic or HIGH guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E60
    Having similar issue with aircon .. I don't seam to have power to the compressor... Help