RM European Auto Parts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1995 E-36 Temp Sensor

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3

1995 E-36 Temp Sensor

Well this is something that has been dogging me for sometime. While it is minor, it can be irritating for a perfectionist like myself. I think there is an issue with the ECU temp sending unit, the problem is I cannot figure with one it is, for there are two in the block. The temp gauge on the dash works fine, so I don't want to replace the wrong one.

The main issue it has is while cold, outside air temp has to be below 50 degrees, the first minute it will run, but lack some power. Once it gets outside of the blue area, it will surge for a second and return to normal. If the car is started, moved and only ran for a minute or two, it will have problems re-starting.

So over the past 2 years of ownership, things that have been tested/replace to ensure proper operation:
    Intake boot and ISV pipes.
    Valve cover gasket + profile gaskets.
    Crank and Cam position sensors.
    Knock sensors, both. <- the rear one it a PITA
    Replaced Spark plugs with NKG 3199 or the BRK6EQUP type.
    Cleaned ISV
    Tested AFM, TPS, Coil pack, and wires.
    New BOSCH oxygen sensor, I don't think that is the issues since the car is in open loop during the problem.

And of course on this OBD-1 system the code are normally crap, but there are none stored in the ECU. The 1.7 ECU is a pretty basic system, so there really isn't much that is left except for the temp sensor.

Thanks for taking the time to read and any help if you think it might not be the temp sensor would be fine too.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Well I am mildly surprised that nobody answered at all.

I am in the process of moving into a new house with not internet, so I am on/off when I can.

So with that I will just replace both sensor for 25-30 bucks each and see if that fixes it.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Sorry, friend....never saw the post! Now that I see the date, I know why -- I was beating hell out of my M5 on a racetrack that weekend.

One unit is called a "temp sensor"; one unit is called a "temp SENDER". The temp SENDER is for the guage; the sensor is for the DME.

EDIT: Wow, that always worked for me before with other models, but I just tried using that on a '95 Euro 325, at realoem, and both were called sensors, dammit! The stranger thing was that there was only one of the two units showing as being still available!? Maybe you'll have better luck than I did, by plugging in the VIN at realoem?
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 07-12-2014 at 08:50 AM.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Chris, both are 19-20 years old, so if you do one, might as well as do the other....

I was just hoping it would be the forward one is all, since I wouldn't need to pull the manifold off to get to it. The front one is the "Transmitter" so I will start with that one first, thanks for the tip!
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Chris, time for a face palm for me. Looking at the car last night, I figured humm perhaps I should follow my own advice I give out. So I reached down and unplugged the first sensor. The temp gauge went up and was reading correctly. So to answer my own question and admit to my own brain fart, the ECU temp sensor is the first one!
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Well that didn't seem to work on my other problem. What happens is if you start the car when cold, move it 20-30 feet and shut it off. If you do this 2-3 times in a couple of days, and not bring it up to temp, it will be very hard to start the 3rd or 4th time. Then when it does start, run rough like it has a massive vacuum leak. So I have my timing tools, will be taking off the valve cover to see how much out of time it is. I think that is the last piece of the puzzle now, as the cold start/run issue it was having is fixed with the temp sensor. I am willing to bet it is 5-7 degrees out on both cams and the last idiots who had their hands in the motor use RTV all over the place.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Hmmmm....To me, that sounds like an issue with a flooded engine, otherwise, why would it be different when you've done repeat short starts? Maybe the fuel is just repeatedly washing the cylinders, until by the third or fourth time, there's no oil sealing the rings? I think that's more likely than a cam timing issue, or the car would run like crap all the time.....

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Hmmmm....To me, that sounds like an issue with a flooded engine, otherwise, why would it be different when you've done repeat short starts? Maybe the fuel is just repeatedly washing the cylinders, until by the third or fourth time, there's no oil sealing the rings? I think that's more likely than a cam timing issue, or the car would run like crap all the time.....
    i've had this exact behavior on more than one e36. in fact, chris helped me and a friend troubleshoot a BMW club member's e36 convertible that was doing something almost identical to this.
    in each case i've experienced it was a '95 too...
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    That is what I was thinking with the ECU temp sensor, as it would put it stone cold even though it would be 65+ degrees outside with a above freezing temps, and inject too much fuel. I can say the inital hesitation is gone with the replacement of the temp sensor.

The main issues is that it doesn't happen if you run the car for 10+ minutes and then hop around town with short starts. I don't know of a sensor that would need to be replaced as all are new or tested good. The spark plugs used have been both two prong and four prong NKG's. The four prong NKG's have made it better, as if you started it once, the very next time it would run rough for 1-2 minutes with the old two prong NKG's. I feel that it is a timing issue as you can feel a slight miss/stumble in the shift linkage as the motor stumbles under load between 1.5k and 2.5k, after that it get's upto speed and you don't feel it as much. I still have to put the timing tool onto the motor to check, just haven't had time as this is the winter car.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Maybe leaking injectors contributing to the cylinder wash? This would also help explain the short-term repeat starting issue. Does your car have an intake air temp sensor? Can you see it on a scan tool? Personally, I wouldn't suspect timing....but I've been wrong, many, many times.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I have INPA, however it doesn't want to talk to the ECU. If there is an intake temp, it would be located inside the AFM, which I haven't tested that, only the reading from the swing. Good point on that, but I am not sure if you would get a code for it as we are working with OBD-I so I don't really trust too much when it comes to codes.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Sorry, wasn't thinking of a 4 cylinder, with an AFM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Just wanted to update this thread.

I set the TDC and the cam tool dropped right in, so that isn't the problem.

Over the past week, I have started the car 4-5 times a day for 1-2 minutes for 5 days. On the 5th day I got a small miss/stumble, but nothing like in the past. So replacing the ECU temp sensor seems to have fixed the problem. I think that once winter gets here I will know for sure.

As for the low on power, heck it is a 138hp motor and I am used to a lot more it seems, but I am thinking about have a back pressure tested, and throw some now spark plug cables at it.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    UPDATE:

I installed the new plug wires, at first start it had the same slight hesitation and shake in the motor as I took off cold. It cleared up like normal after I was driving for 5 minutes. Now after a couple of days worth of drive normal, high speed/high rev's, it seems to have cleared completely! After 5 starts/runs of 20 miles to work and 20 miles home, I don't have the low rev stumble (1-2k) I will be taking a longer trip this weekend, 250+ miles as I will be attending a course on the other side of Germany for two weeks. I am hoping that I will get all the "lost" ponies back from doing a good long drive to clean out all the crap in the motor.

I will re-visit this thread after the trip to add any new info.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Just wanted to update this thread.

I found out that the CCV was stuck open. On the M42 motors, there is a coolant line that runs by the CCV and is suppose to open like a thermostat when the motor warms up. This was allowing extra air from the crankcase to enter the motor that the ECU doesn't account for. So now it starts and runs very smooth.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Thanks for updating, my friend!

I don't know this motor very well, I remember the CCV is weird and troublesome....but I'd have never suspected it of that kind of behavior. I'll try to remember that!

Chris

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Final Update for this thread maybe......

So for the past 2 years, there was a slight miss/stumble on cold start only, and sometimes on re-start if the car was only ran for say 5-10 minutes then shutdown for 20-30 minutes. As you can see there wasn't anything else left to replace other then the fuel pump, which the pressure was tested as good, and the Injectors. So taking the advice of Chris, I sent a set out to RC Engineering to clean, and I pulled a set out of a Z-3 in the Junkyard. I had wanted to keep the car running and just swap in the injectors which I believe were leaking/sticking on cold starts. The ones I sent off were leaking which shows that even a low mileage car can do such, and now I will be sending other off to them.

Just as a side note, I have to give them a big thumbs up for on their website it say they only ship using UPS, they went out of their way to return the Injectors using USPS.

So as for the past week, I have driven the car several times, and had no problems to note. While this car just passed the inspection for Germany, it seems I will be keeping it for another year or so.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Latest Update:

So recently I started to not have the slight stumble, it went to full on no throttle response. When I go WOT, it would clear it out and drive normal. While it is cool to go WOT, it can be a bit dangerous on snow covered roads. So I tested the MAF and TPS, both passed with flying colors. So just out of a gut feeling, I had both sitting on the shelf and decided to just toss one in at a time to see if it fixed it. The AFM didn't change anything, and when I swapped the TPS, it went back to a stumble. So I tested that TPS, and it too passed. Now I am scratching my head, and go to the local junkyard to pull/test TPS's. Well all 4 I grab pass, however due to the law's of averages, it was the last one that ended up working perfectly. So I am now out a whole 3 bucks on TPS's....

It has been 4 days of driving, and no return as of yet. Old cars, got to love them!
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Is that an adjustable TPS, with slots instead of holes for the mountings? Do you have "Idle, WOT, and everything else", or do you have an actual potentiometer?

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Non-adjustable. So it has an actual potentiometer, for I have taken one apart and it has two sweeps on either side. While you can adjust the throttle by the cable or the screw, there is no way to move the TPS as it is locked on the throttle body. From testing, it seems to only have a sweep, for there is no WOT switch like on an M-30 motor for example.

Sadly it happened again today and all I get from the stomp test is the TPS. So it seems I am back to square one as I cannot get INPA to connect to that damn DME. And just for you Chris, the DME is clean, dry and very tight in it's slot. Heck while I was messing around with the TPS, I used some electrical contact cleaner on both sides of the connector of the DME to make sure.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Reading through here a bit I see you had a CCV problem before. Your problem does smell like unmetered air, maybe worth another look at the CCV or for vac leak(s).

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I will pull out the "can" and see if the intake holds 10 psi this weekend. I know it isn't a smoke machine, but that and a bottle of soapy water works pretty good at finding intake leaks.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Update:

So I did do a couple of things today on the beater, replaced the noisy slip ring, changed out a couple of ugly console pieces, fixed the rear spoiler.

I also inflated the intake using my can with a valve stem on it. It is always amusing to see the intake boot puff out like a pufferfish. Well with soapy water spray, I couldn't find a leak and it held pressure for about 10 minutes before I bleed if off.

I then took my son for a drive to the junkyard just to see what they had new, and he didn't notice any miss/non-throttle response at any time there or back. So when we got back to the house, decided to do the stomp test to see if anything would pop up 1444 was the only code which means no codes at all.

So perhaps pulling the battery for the slipring helped to clear all the adaptations since even DIS wouldn't talk to the DME. I will see later this week as it seems to take a couple of days for the issue to come back.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I wish I had something to offer, Darin. But when the dilemma is presented by a top-notch tech, the answers are going to be very difficult to come by.....

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I know Chris and it has me scratching my head on this. Before I pulled the TPS, the only code that flashed was 1226 which is the #2 knock sensor. According to the Bentley that only applies to DME 3.3 or higher, which I also found odd. Well this coming weekend I will be going to the other side of Germany and the shop has an old school snap-on brick that I know can talk to this DME.

So thinking that BMW did something different for this car I had tried all the 4-cylinder DME in INPA, and even the M-5x ones just to see if it would connect, no dice. As far as I know it is the original DME for it has the VIN on the DME.

So the funny thing about this car is the fuel Injector are the same as the M-44 and it has the vapor lines running from the injectors into the intake.

The only thing I can really think of is that at a specific temp, the fuel map is corrupt. Maybe Able could shed some light on that, for that would be a thought as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dworthy; 12-17-2017 at 02:42 AM.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast