My Cars
    2002 bmw x5 4.4

Exclamation 02 bmw X5 4.4 self leveling inactive

Hello All,

I haven't been on here in a while , but now I'm in need . I'm currently having an issue with my 2002 BMW X5 4.4. On mine I have the air bag suspension on both front and rear of the vehicle. The bags and compressor were changed out within the last year by the previous owner. All was well with my ride until recently. I had a tranny fluid line leak, which prompted me to put it on jacks all the way around. After correcting the original issue , I put her back on the ground and BAM, "selfleveling susp inactive"

The green L.E.D that indicated vehicle level is no longer there, and the X is sitting very low. I've pulled the battery off, and checked every fuse I could find. All to no avail.

I'm stumped. Any help at all would be appreciated. I've searched the forums and cant seem to find anything that resulted purely from being lifted off the ground. It all worked BEFORE it was lifted off the wheels HELP!

My Cars
    2002 bmw x5 4.4

Update

***UPDATE***

Well with a little more research it looks as though the act of jacking the X up ,and setting it down caused a fault condition. Given the fact that all components were functional before, and currently all air bags are still rigid I'm fairly confident this is the issue. The current diagnosis is that the system went into "Belt Mode". I cant seem to find any other remedy ,other than having a Tech. reset the suspension. I found a PDF document that was very helpful, and will post the link. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...system+pdf+e53 . Its the first available option listed. If anyone has an alternative method to reset the issue, I'm all ears .

My Cars
    2002 bmw x5 4.4
    ***UPDATE***

Well with a little more research it looks as though the act of jacking the X up ,and setting it down caused a fault condition. Given the fact that all components were functional before, and currently all air bags are still rigid I'm fairly confident this is the issue. The current diagnosis is that the system went into "Belt Mode". I cant seem to find any other remedy ,other than having a Tech. reset the suspension. I found a PDF document that was very helpful, and will post the link. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...system+pdf+e53 . Its the first available option listed. If anyone has an alternative method to reset the issue, I'm all ears .

My Cars
    2002 bmw x5 4.4
    Well in the end I just couldn't bring myself to pay someone to do something that I can do. I ended up purchasing a scanner via E-BAY . Partly because I'm kind of a tight wad, and I plan on having this vehicle for awhile. I highly doubt this will be the last time the an error code will foil my maintenance efforts . After installing the software I hooked the X up to the laptop, ran the reset utility ,and just as easily as my error showed up -poof - it was gone. Ive been running for a few days now with no issues what so ever. This fix may not be for everyone but it worked for me.

My Cars
    98 328 cab, 97m3 sedan
    Nice a little work and a few hundred more kept in your pocket!

My Cars
    2006 BMW X5 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdevilnc View Post
    Nice a little work and a few hundred more kept in your pocket!
    Hey gonzo614 would you be able to tell me what software and scanner you bought

My Cars
    bmw x5 , bmw x3
    I have an issue after jacking up my x5 4.4i no warnings and all 4 wheels at correct height however ride quality is very poor now and feels like it gonna bounce your head off , I do get boot lid open warning now and again even though its closed so not sure if its related , any help would be appreciated

My Cars
    02 530i Sport (3rd E39)
    Gonzo which scanner and software did you purchase? I believe there are many of us with the same exact problem. Is there anyone else who could point me in the best direction for a reasonable gt1/dis/ista software program that we know works. My obd scan devices and my mechanics newest scan tool still can not talk to the level sensors or suspension module. This site has been a lifesaver for years, thank you all; I appreciate any help.