Thread: Rough Idle, CEL mystery

My Cars
    E46 M3

Rough Idle, CEL mystery

Cliffs:

-Started the car about a week ago and it ran rough on idle and for about 5 minutes of driving (throttle hesitation, etc). After that it cleared up, but about 10 minutes later it threw P1188 and P1189 which basically means its running lean.
    -inspected intake and found the elbow boot after the MAF was all torn up, so I ordered a new one
    -added a quart of oil (since it was low) and then let the car sit in my garage
    -today, intake boot came in and I installed it
    -started the car and it ran like complete shit, idled at 1500 and just sounded awful
    -revved it a bit and there was lots of hesitation and just a really violent idle, car throws P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire)
    -check intake to make sure everything is connected and no leaks -- nothing
    -investigate online and think it may be coil packs
    -decide to start the car again, just for the hell of it, to listen to the sounds it makes and maybe diagnose better

here's the surprise...

NOTHING. Perfect idle, no strange sounds, nothing.

I cleared the CEL and drove it around my neighborhood for around 10 minutes and no lights, no throttle hesitation. It drove perfectly.

Now, I'm expecting it to have a rough time tomorrow morning when I start it, but any preliminary guess as to what I may be dealing with here?

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Started beautifully this morning.

Damnit, I don't get these cars.

My Cars
    1994 325ic
    M3s heal themselves.

My Cars
    2011 E90 325xi
    Eh.. Did you do anything with the misfiring cylinder? Perhaps the cylinder is firing fine again?