View Poll Results: What would you be interested in?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just a 8000-8100 rpm limit iincrease

0 0%
  • Redline increase and sport mode always on

4 16.00%
  • Slight power bump (stockish car) ~10whp

7 28.00%
  • Mid power bump (you have headers, euro or aftermarket) ~30whp

10 40.00%
  • Larger power bump (headers/full exhaust/CSL style intake) ~40+whp

4 16.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Feeler: Who would be interested in a S54 Tune?

My Cars
    E46 330ci turbo, 05 ZHP,
    That circuit won't work Terry. The DME outputs TTL level signals, and probably doesn't have enough capability to drive a 12 volt lamp. Furthermore, the polarity of the signal needs to be inverted (the DME's output is low when 'on'). I've already drawn up a circuit using an opamp and P-channel mosfet and sent it to Scott. It's very easy for somebody to wire my circuit up for testing and building (I have no time to do it though).

Quote Originally Posted by Terry F. View Post
    Can you swap the 5v LED with a 12v one, avoiding the circuit?

Terry
    Edit: Circuit

Nick Glantzis
    2005 330i ZHP auto with Technique Tuning turbo kit (currently For Sale)

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    Hey Nick, good to see you here. Got it, appreciate the reply!

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    '01 SG/IR S54 M Coupe
    ...you guys are giving me nightmares from EE201...
    If they call it Tourist Season, why cant we shoot them?

My Cars
    Yellow Pants
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcar View Post
    ...you guys are giving me nightmares from EE201...
    I took my C and walked very happily away from that class never to look back haha

My Cars
    '01 SG/IR S54 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by hexagone View Post
    I took my C and walked very happily away from that class never to look back haha
    D for diploma!

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Quote Originally Posted by hexagone View Post
    Likewise. Professor DiMeo at Villanova gave me my first C's I ever got in my life...Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering 1 and 2. Sadly, that started a trend in subsequent years. Turning 21 had something to do with it too...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Nick.

If someone with some solid EE skills could help me select the components needed for this circuit, I'd really appreciate it. I'm very willing and capable to build and test it. Would be very easy to pop in the car since I'm wired up.

Here is what Nick sent me.

SportCircuit.png
    Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    That circuit won't work Terry. The DME outputs TTL level signals, and probably doesn't have enough capability to drive a 12 volt lamp. Furthermore, the polarity of the signal needs to be inverted (the DME's output is low when 'on'). I've already drawn up a circuit using an opamp and P-channel mosfet and sent it to Scott. It's very easy for somebody to wire my circuit up for testing and building (I have no time to do it though).

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    Likewise. Professor DiMeo at Villanova gave me my first C's I ever got in my life...Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering 1 and 2. Sadly, that started a trend in subsequent years. Turning 21 had something to do with it too...
    graduated proudly in ME with my C+/B- average from Nova LOL

I wasn't the best student.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Quote Originally Posted by ADAz3M View Post
    graduated proudly in ME with my C+/B- average from Nova LOL

I wasn't the best student.
    I finished Computer and Electrical Engineering with a 3.36 or something like that. B+! My GPA went down 0.3 (so like a full grade lower) for two straight semesters after I turned 21. Those were the days. Getting drunk and chasing the ladies. If I had a time machine, I'd go right back to mid August 2003.

My Cars
    E46 330ci turbo, 05 ZHP,

If someone with some solid EE skills could help me select the components needed for this circuit, I'd really appreciate it. I'm very willing and capable to build and test it. Would be very easy to pop in the car since I'm wired up.

Here is what Nick sent me.

SportCircuit.png
    That's an old schematic. I sent you a revised one after that.
    Nick Glantzis
    2005 330i ZHP auto with Technique Tuning turbo kit (currently For Sale)

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    I missed this message.

Got the updated schematic from Nick.

Can anyone help select components for me to build one and test it?

- - - Updated - - -

A guy at work that builds components for Radar Systems and who used to build custom audio amplifiers helped me pick out some components. I'll get around to ordering them and building this soon.

My Cars
    '01 SG/IR S54 M Coupe
    I
    A guy at work that builds components for Radar Systems and who used to build custom audio amplifiers helped me pick out some components. I'll get around to ordering them and building this soon.
    have him build us a real jammer! Id love to use one from work, but the cops could prob know I was jamming them when their units start smoking

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady
    I finished Computer and Electrical Engineering with a 3.36 or something like that. B+! My GPA went down 0.3 (so like a full grade lower) for two straight semesters after I turned 21. Those were the days. Getting drunk and chasing the ladies. If I had a time machine, I'd go right back to mid August 2003.
    Drop me off in 2001 please lol

My Cars
    S54, S55
    Any updates on this? Its first week of August and I'm getting antsy

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Yes.

Mike at MaxPSI was on vacation last week, so no after hours available to do this.
    I'm on vacation starting tomorrow though Monday August 19th.
    This means it's up to Ken to get into the shop to let Nick do his work.
    Ken goes on vacation the 18th and has to fix his wheel speed sensor before he goes into the shop for the dyno session.
    If he doesn't, I'll get in there one night the week of August 18th.

On the sport mode circuit front, I've got a lot of opinions on what circuit to build, what components to buy, etc, but don't definitively know what the best/safest circuit is for the application. As I posted above, a guy at work I'm friends with can help me. Maybe I can even get into the lab after hours and have him help me build/test it.

Nick isn't going to sell those circuits anyway, so it'll be up to me, individuals who buy the tune, or someone else that wants to tackle this for the forum to get that set up. He just doesn't have the time to build them, nor does he care to (as it seems to me). As I mentioned, for folks that just want sport mode, it is possible to get another run of the controllers and do it the old school way.

I'm hoping by the end of August this tune is ready to go.

Circuit thereafter (at my leisure or whenever someone steps up to do it).

Hope this helps.

My Cars
    M Coupe
    If you are wanting to improve the performance of the S54 engine in the Z3MC, then the obvious place to start is by increasing Volumetric Efficiency, which will increase Torque and consequently HP.

Volumetric Efficiency (VE) is typically defined as the actual amount of air being pumped by the engine as compared to its theoretical maximum. In most Normally Aspirated (NA) engines (aspiration = sucking), the pressure of air being “sucked” into the engine will be at lower than ambient air pressure, which means that the VE will be typically in the order of 85%. The S54 engine is a very sophisticated NA engine and in the E46 M3 it has a published VE of 106%. The fact that the S54 Z3MC has lower torque/HP figures suggests to me that the same S54 engine is underperforming in the Z3MC, entirely because the factors which affect VE are different between the E46 M3 and Z3MC platforms. The air intakes and exhaust system are different, but I know that those of the Z3MC can be improved. For owners in the US, fitting Euro headers and gutting the OEM rear silencers plus a few judicious air-intake mods will yield provable increases.

I have done lots of work and experimentation on this with my Z3MC several years ago and here's just one thread on the subject: http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5442&highlight=evolve+dyno I bought a Z4MC 2 years ago and have done similar exhaust and air intake work which also has yielded similar percentage gains.

If you can get more air into the engine the MAF will monitor it and the DME will fuel accordingly. It's simple.

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    Appreciate your input, but what you are stating is pretty general knowledge. I wouldn't call adding intake and exhaust changes to a NA motor groundbreaking; that will almost always get a car beyond its stock counterpart.

However, a sophisticated programmer, fundamentally altering the DME programming including ignition, fueling, and other timing parameters is a totally different ballgame. The ultimate goal is to extract the maximum amount of safe power from the vehicle beyond airflow modifications. Obviously people have added intakes (arguably wasteful), CSL plenum's, and full exhaust work before, but that isn't what we are focusing on. Not to mention, the redline increase, and throttle response alterations that are being made are nice to have, but we are going beyond simple bolt on parts.

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    I'm not able to get up to MaxPSI this week...just too busy with work and won't be able to sneak out for the drive to NJ by 4pm at all. I'm hoping to be able to make it up there the week of September 8th now. Sorry for the delay...a bit logistically difficult to work with a shop 4+ hours away from home.

My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    I thinkkkkk my wheel speed thing is fixed. Gonna take the car for a spin tomorrow after I finish putting the passenger side together again since I just fixed the glovebox sag.

If it's good I can join but if not it is what it is. Still working on a few things as the car is still mine and I will treat it as so until it's not.

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    2001 BMW M Coupe
    Is this effort still alive, or did this die on the vine?
    I'm contemplating a tune on my new S54 coupe, and as good as Conforti is, I'm pretty sure it's just an E46 tune with the redline patched.

Happy to contribute a bog-stock '01 for testing. I'm in CA, though, and while I'd be willing to spring for some dyno time, I don't know how useful that would be.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    The effort is something I intend to continue with. I have literally been on business travel in South Jersey/Philly every single work day since the end of July. In January, I'm not even able to go home to DC on the weekends.

The end is near...Feb 9th due date.

Once the snow passes, or Ken stops being too lazy to drive 5 min down the road, we'll continue on.

That said, the discussions in the stroker build threads aren't leaving me too confident to see a result equal to the M3. We got to 295 after the first dyno session and a couple tweaks. I'm sure Nick G. has more up his sleeve, but we'll have to see. I'd be happy with 300.

If Nick has a shop he works with near you, it could be possible to use your car as the stock guine pig car. We want to see what he can get out of a stock car in addition to our cars with headers, cats, and exhaust with the perk of this tune being the activation of sport mode (if I ever get around to building the required circuitry).

My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    Well I found some subframe issues in the rear of my car, so I haven't exactly moved it much...

Dropping off tomorrow to start that project and redo my rear exhaust a little.

We should be back on schedule soon, but I want my car solid again before I start doing dyno pulls and some highway "testing".

My Cars
    2001 BMW M Coupe
    Glad to hear this is ongoing. Let me know if it makes sense to get my car on a dyno out here to help out.
    As to the lamp driver circuit, we're pretty good a short runs of tiny PCBs at my day job, and that would be a good exercise for me to learn the tools. Also, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just run an optoisolator and be done with it. I'll see what the PDSE guys like for lever shifters, though.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    Any updates on this?
    I have a question that I'd like to add if not too off topic:
    With the high static compression ratio of the S54 would a proper tune for e85 result in torque increases like it does for FI. I know not to the same degree but if it gave the S54 more resistance to detonation and cooler intake temps at less cost at the pump as well, I think lots of people would be willing to modify their fuel systems and software to get those benefits and more grunt down low. Please inlighten me.
    Last edited by E.Hands; 02-15-2015 at 07:22 AM.

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Quote Originally Posted by E.Hands View Post
    Any updates on this?
    I have a question that I'd like to add if not too off topic:
    With the high static compression ratio of the S54 would a proper tune for e85 result in torque increases like it does for FI. I know not to the same degree but if it gave the S54 more resistance to detonation and cooler intake temps at less cost at the pump as well, I think lots of people would be willing to modify their fuel systems and software to get those benefits and more grunt down low. Please inlighten me.
    I would not. E85 is nearly impossible to find here, and it's one of the few things I refuse to buy for political reasons.

That said, would love to know what's possible.

-Todd

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    I work in the oil field on a drilling rig and just took a 20% cut in pay because the industry has gone to chit. That said if corn juice is runs cheaper, cleaner, cooler, makes more horse power & torque in my motor and is cheaper per gallon... I'm there dude.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I just found out the local speed shop is selling a lot of it!
    Last edited by E.Hands; 02-20-2015 at 08:18 PM.

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast