RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Oil Additives and Fuel/Injection Cleaners

My Cars
    02/330ci

Oil Additives and Fuel/Injection Cleaners

There a lot of people who claim that oil additives and fuel/injection cleaners is a must. Any thoughts as to the truth of this claim or is it a waste of money? Thanks guys!
    ]

My Cars
    99 328is, 84 M54 E30
    These days oil additives are not necessary if you're running the correct oil for the engine.

Clean injectors and valves work better, I like to run a can of seafoam in the gas before every other oil change.
    PM me for info on properly working AC and CEL for your S54 or M54 swapped car.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    OP, and a lot of people like to sell snake oil. Ignore them. Why? Modern gas, with a few exceptions, has adequate cleaning agents that keep the injector and intake valves clean. Additionally, some cleaners can contaminate the oil. How? Cleaners don't burn like gasoline. As a result residue left over from the combustion cycle can and does get passed the piston rings and into the oil. Some brands of cleaner have a warning on the container that imply this. My recommendation. Buy quality fuel. Don't ever buy SUNOCO gas as its cleaning capability is nil. Buy gas from a retailer listed at www.toptiergas.com.

Btw, I have never put an additive in the tank of my 2001 330Ci and he runs perfectly at 110k miles.
    Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 06-11-2014 at 09:03 AM.

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Don't ever buy SUNOCO gas as its cleaning capability is nil.
    Never heard this before. Is there a source or further evidence to back this up?

And for the OP, my usual cleaning regimen is running up to the redline a few times a week.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    02/330ci
    Awesome info.....thank you! My 2002 330Ci has only 68K and it runs beautifully, want to ensure I keep it that way and take good care of it. Appreciate the advice!
    ]

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Once upon a time, I had a similar question. I decided to do a shootout on three top products. Gumout, Techron, & a product very similar to seafoam. The results of my findings were:
    -cars with 80k+ miles should use Gumout with Regane - high mileage formula, cleans well without harshness and has lubricating power,
    -use chevron gas for your regular pump gas to get the benfits of techron. it is a simple cleaner that works well when used regularly but I saw the least improvement of the cleaning agents used in the test.
    -seafoam was the harshest cleaner. while it worked I would personally use it on the intake side and not put in the crank case as some do. I may even turn off the motor while in the combustion chamber to let it sit and work on the carbon deposits, but I would change oil promptly after due to exfiltration through the rings.
    Last edited by hide1; 06-11-2014 at 12:00 PM.
    If the mind can conceive it, & you believe it, you will achieve it. - Napolean Hill
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 Alpine White & 1998 Arctic Silver ///m3/4/5
    JC Intake - ASC Delete - Dinan TB - Flow Matched 21.5# Injectors - JC Tune - SS Euro Reps (modified to retain SAP) - z3m ssk - Eisenmann Race 76mm - Yokohama Advan S2 - Squared LTW's - FK Silverline +X - Rogue FCAB/ RTAB/ RSM/ TM - X-Brace - CDV Delete -Racing Dynamics F&R Strut Braces - NGK BKR6E- German Castrol 0w-40

My Cars
    02/330ci
    Great points.....thanks!
    ]

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Another thing to consider which I forgot to mention is a true synthetic oil does not need ANY addititives. You will only serve to foul up an otherwise good thing right out the box if you do. Fuel additives/ cleaners are one thing but steer clear of oil additives..

You can read all about the false claims and litigation against the top snake oil salesmen here:
    http://www.carbibles.com/additives.html
    If the mind can conceive it, & you believe it, you will achieve it. - Napolean Hill
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 Alpine White & 1998 Arctic Silver ///m3/4/5
    JC Intake - ASC Delete - Dinan TB - Flow Matched 21.5# Injectors - JC Tune - SS Euro Reps (modified to retain SAP) - z3m ssk - Eisenmann Race 76mm - Yokohama Advan S2 - Squared LTW's - FK Silverline +X - Rogue FCAB/ RTAB/ RSM/ TM - X-Brace - CDV Delete -Racing Dynamics F&R Strut Braces - NGK BKR6E- German Castrol 0w-40

My Cars
    02/330ci
    Thanks....as that makes a lot of sense. You pay a lot of money for full syn oil and it should do it's job as designed. Appreciate the clarificaiton as I'll certainly keep it pure. Thanks again as I really appreciate it
    ]

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
    Never heard this before. Is there a source or further evidence to back this up? And for the OP, my usual cleaning regimen is running up to the redline a few times a week.
    I have to admit I can't find a link about sunoco's additive package. But, it's not on the toptiergas list so I don't use it. Correction: my car doesn't use it!

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    I used a Techron fuel cleaner a few years back and almost immediately got a check engine light. I ended up having to replace my O2 sensors. Although the dealer does sell their own version (821140413341), I tried it last month and had no problem. Maybe just use good quality gas and don't let the car run so low on gas that it sucks all all the crud.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Gosh, doesn't the above post sound familiar? Like maybe a dead copy of the one 4 posts above it....except with a sales link added in.....

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    spammer banned, post removed, thanks for reporting
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Thank you, Shogun.

(For anyone seeing this thread in the future, there is a post which has been removed, between 11 and 12, because it was a spammer. He posted today, he's gone today.)

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    spammer banned, post removed, thanks for reporting

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue