Thread: E31 window/door issue, doesn't drop when opening

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 2012 X5 35d

E31 window/door issue, doesn't drop when opening

1993 850 Ci, On my driver's door, the window doesn't drop when you lift the door handle. If I open the door 1/2", it drops. From the inside, pull the handle until you get tension, and the window drops properly. I've tried the car running hold window up button for 30 seconds to try to reset to no avail...anyone else got ideas? Is there another rest technique I can try? Is there a switch in the outer door handle?

Any help would be much appreciated

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, '02 X5 4.6is
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
    Is there a switch in the outer door handle?
    Yes. They tend to break. Each door has two of them.

#9 For outer door handle:

#4 For inner:

Real picture:
    P1000531.JPG
    Last edited by mr1173; 06-10-2014 at 12:24 AM.
    WBR, Tony

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 2012 X5 35d
    Thanks, for the prompt response...I've had the door handle apart, last year, but didn't get into the electrics of it. I should have no problem getting in there and checking the switch....

My Cars
    2004 330xi, 1993 850Ci
    I ran into the same issue last fall, it was the switch. I could not find an original switch, and people who had the entire assembly were obviously reluctant to part with just the switch. I was able to find a close enough match at Mouser.

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 2012 X5 35d
    I found a switch thru my BMW dealer...

My Cars
    '92 850i 6-speed (SOLD)
    I'd appreciate your help as this seems to be a common problem with many BMW models. However I am hoping to get some E31-specific advice. My passenger window drop-down feature is acting up. Sometimes it works fine and other times not. Yesterday I went to open the passenger door using the exterior handle and couldn't because the window wouldn't drop down. I released the handle and attempted again and eventually it worked. I opened and closed the door a few more times and the window feature worked fine. I believe a microswitch is acting up but I wanted to get some guidance as the photos in Post #2 of this thread are no longer viewable.

I looked on RealOEM http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_0808 and saw #9 (61-31-1-383-199) listed as "MICRO SWITCH DOOR HANDLE." Is this the likely culprit? What about #10 (61-31-1-392-192) which is listed as "MICRO SWITCH WINDOW LOWERING?"

Questions:
    1) What does it take to replace the door handle microswitch? Removal of the interior door panel?
    2) Is there a microswitch in the door striker plate (mounted to the body) that plays a role in this window lowering function?
    3) MileHigh (Post #4) mentioned he found a suitable replacement at Mouser. Any ideas what he's talking about?

Thanks in advance.
    Sean

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, '02 X5 4.6is
    61311383199 - microswitch for outer door handle. mounted on the handle itself.
    61311392192 - microswitch for inner door handle. mounted on the door lock.
    1. Yes. And also removing door handle or door lock. (It might be a good idea to replace handle gaskets as well 51211970855,51211970856)
    2. No, there is no microswitch in the door striker plate.
    WBR, Tony

My Cars
    E31/E32 VWs Tesla
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniff38 View Post
    I'd appreciate your help as this seems to be a common problem with many BMW models. However I am hoping to get some E31-specific advice. My passenger window drop-down feature is acting up. Sometimes it works fine and other times not. Yesterday I went to open the passenger door using the exterior handle and couldn't because the window wouldn't drop down. I released the handle and attempted again and eventually it worked. I opened and closed the door a few more times and the window feature worked fine. I believe a microswitch is acting up but I wanted to get some guidance as the photos in Post #2 of this thread are no longer viewable.

I looked on RealOEM http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_0808 and saw #9 (61-31-1-383-199) listed as "MICRO SWITCH DOOR HANDLE." Is this the likely culprit? What about #10 (61-31-1-392-192) which is listed as "MICRO SWITCH WINDOW LOWERING?"

Questions:
    1) What does it take to replace the door handle microswitch? Removal of the interior door panel?
    2) Is there a microswitch in the door striker plate (mounted to the body) that plays a role in this window lowering function?
    3) MileHigh (Post #4) mentioned he found a suitable replacement at Mouser. Any ideas what he's talking about?

Thanks in advance.
    Sean
    See if your window droops regularly from the inside switch as well to help narrow down further..

Another thing to consider.. There are door modules that sometimes act up.. In my car, about 10% of the time, my driver's door doesn't respond to the turning the key, so it doesn't disarm the alarm nor wake the car up. If I open the door I might set off the alarm, and have to walk over to the passenger side and unlock.

'89 735i, '91 850i, '81 MB 380SLC (For Sale), Tesla Model 3, and VW Passat TDI -- Yes, I still repair General Modules, DM for info!

My Cars
    '92 850i 6-speed (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by EEDegreeToDrive View Post
    Another thing to consider.. There are door modules that sometimes act up.. In my car, about 10% of the time, my driver's door doesn't respond to the turning the key, so it doesn't disarm the alarm nor wake the car up. If I open the door I might set off the alarm, and have to walk over to the passenger side and unlock.
    Do you happen to know the part number of the door module you speak of? Are they located inside the door or somewhere else? Can these modules be rebuilt like the GM or are they a "replace only" item? Thanks for your help.

Sean

My Cars
    E31/E32 VWs Tesla
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniff38 View Post
    Do you happen to know the part number of the door module you speak of? Are they located inside the door or somewhere else? Can these modules be rebuilt like the GM or are they a "replace only" item? Thanks for your help.

Sean
    Located in the door, responsible for collecting all the inputs from the door (handle microswitches, window switches, limit switches, door lock cylinder microswitches) and sending them to the GM. They have a few capacitors, but I suspect in most cases, it's usually problems with the switches, not the door modules.

'89 735i, '91 850i, '81 MB 380SLC (For Sale), Tesla Model 3, and VW Passat TDI -- Yes, I still repair General Modules, DM for info!

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    Item #6 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_0809
    Just replaced two, one each on 2 different cars.
    91 850 (Panzer), 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman (WifeMobile) www.wuffer.ca

My Cars
    E31/E32 VWs Tesla
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuffer View Post
    Item #6 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_0809
    Just replaced two, one each on 2 different cars.
    Tom-- Just like the GMs, These door modules are very much repairable--
    In fact, they have the same (or very similar) Hitachi CPU in them(privately labeled BMW AG), 2 capacitors, a 5 pin transistor (Probably a 12V to 3.3 or 5V regulator?), and 4x HCF40106 chips (6 inputs each chip, for the window switches, lock and handle microswitches, etc )
    They don't seem to have any high power outputs as locks, windows are all handled by the RM.
    Interestingly, I don't see any physical difference between the two modules, except the CPUs have different stickers on them (different EPROMs)

What would be cool is having two driver's door modules, and a second set of window switches for the passenger, just because.. :-)
    Last edited by EEDegreeToDrive; 07-20-2017 at 05:55 PM.

My Cars
    1993 850ci
    1993 850 ci
    New wrinkle on an old problem:
    Drivers side window drops 1/2" properly from both inside and outside handles but after a few seconds of the door being open, window goes back up. It appears to think the door is still closed.
    Replaced both micro-switches and door module with used parts but no change.

Passenger side - no problems. Door locks - no problems. Window up/down reset did not fix the problem.

What makes the window stay down when the door is open? On my good door, when I manually close the door latch, the window goes back up. On the problem door, the window is already up so nothing happens.
    Any thoughts?

My Cars
    E31, e30, eg, ef
    Quote Originally Posted by arcshark3d View Post
    1993 850 ci
    New wrinkle on an old problem:
    Drivers side window drops 1/2" properly from both inside and outside handles but after a few seconds of the door being open, window goes back up. It appears to think the door is still closed.
    Replaced both micro-switches and door module with used parts but no change.

Passenger side - no problems. Door locks - no problems. Window up/down reset did not fix the problem.

What makes the window stay down when the door is open? On my good door, when I manually close the door latch, the window goes back up. On the problem door, the window is already up so nothing happens.
    Any thoughts?
    I'm having the same problem with my car.

My Cars
    bmw 850
    Hi

I am resurrecting this one.
    In my case it is the door handle switch issue only.
    Can you help me to locate where is the microswitch?

61311383199 -
    microswitch for outer doorhandle. mounted on the handle itself.

You remove panel and then? Does the handle need to be removed? How? and Where exactly is the switch?

Thanks

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    All shown here:

Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    bmw 850
    Great Video....

Thanks a lot¡

super¡