Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still got an odd rattle after suspension work...

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    What kind of mileage did you have on your original steering box? Just curious. I've looked previously for used steering boxes that match my car, but there are literally none out there... Must be a very obscure 95/M60 part, or the part numbers are just outdated. Will have to do some digging around wreckers if I want to find anything... But I'll hold off on potentially buying another steering box until I've at least visually inspected and tested everything best I can. Were you able to visually inspect any kind of movement or looseness in your old box?

Need to find out if a steering box made after 09/97 will still fit my car ok. That's the split on RealOEM it shows. I can find a thousand low mile steering boxes CHEAP for E38's after 09/97, but literally nothing using the part numbers from RealOEM for mine before that date;

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...88&hg=32&fg=10

Hmm
    Last edited by Sobek; 06-23-2014 at 11:34 AM.

My Cars
    14 F01 750i 14 F10 550i
    140,000 on mine. As for movement there was some visible at both the input and output end of the box.

My Cars
    2002 BMW E39 530i (UK)
    Just to bring this back to life

Managed to get my car squeezed in for an hour with my pal so we could have a proper look around for this clunk at the front and to check all arms/suspension bushings etc before we fit the BC coilovers on 31st July

Found that the clunk at the front was in the steering box; got the car up on the ramps; put the front drivers side wheel under load using the transmission stand and moved the steering wheel erraticly and hey presto; the clunk was there

Sounded initially like it was that damper but soon realised that the sound was deeper in the engine bay!

Managed to tighten up the box a little using this guide: http://blog.bavauto.com/9602/bmw-ste...to-adjust-diy/

Clunk has now gone

Have bought a 2nd hand box through which has 6months warranty 'just in case' but at least you now know where to look if you cant pin point it down to the suspension parts!
    My car: 2002 E39 540i Sport - Japanese import - the new project!

My Cars
    1998 740i, 1998 328i
    In reading this post not sure in any mention of checking for rattling brake pads was mentioned. I'd had this at slow speeds going over small bumps. I noticed that when the brakes were applied the rattle was gone. After some searching found that the metal tangs holding the inside pad needed to be opened up to better secure it to the piston and this solved that problem.
    Thomas
    Fishers, IN
    '98 740i Navarraviolett Metallic - Built 10/97
    '
    98 328i Cosmosschwarz Metallic - Built 4/98
    '02 R1150RT - Darkblue Metallic - Built 3/01

My Cars
    2002 BMW 525i sedan
    I just replaced the thrust arms at 189k. Had the rattling on harder braking, on the passenger right side. Distinctive tin sounding rattle. No other time. When i went back under the car, I noticed that the strut was not fully seated into the receiver on the knuckle. I put the car on jackstands, used the floor jack to raise the wheel under the rotor. Loosened and tightened the pinch bolt. Jackpot! No more rattle.

Jimmy

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Sobek- did you ever resolve your rattling clunky-ness?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12