Thread: 2005 Z4 - Transport Mode

My Cars
    2005 Z4

2005 Z4 - Transport Mode

I wonder if someone can offer an explanation here as to transport mode - and SHOULD the dealer (once the car is delivered ) delete it. I mean - what is the right protocol?

Here is what is prompting my question. Over the winter, my battery finally was going dead .. dead enough that i needed to jump start it before replacing the battery (with a non-BMW one). PRIOR to replacing the battery, the fan blower would only blow on low speed (classic problem of a battery that is not providing 12V - car goes into transport mode). Even after a new battery is put in, blower motor is only low. So, after research - I learn that it (transport mode)can only be reset at a dealer. So - I wait until now to bring it in .. and they want to charge me $158.00 - PLUS 3/10th ($40). I lost it with them on the phone -- they are now going to do me favor and not charge the $40.

SO - my question ... should this have been done (disable transport mode) AT the dealership - when I bought the car? From what I have read ... there is a "reset" versus "disable" transport mode process. I am trying to understand what IS true --- before I go and fight them on spending that $158 ... that's just total BS. And I know it takes about 18 minutes for them to do it ...

Thanks for anyone's informed information on this ... want your opinions too ...

My Cars
    2004 BMW 745i sport
    The IHKA's(A/C panel) on the E85 Z4 occasionally will go back into transport mode when they are exposed to low battery voltage. The rest of the vehicle will not though. You have to clear transport mode in this situation.