Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The Weedspeed Mark II: E46 330Xi

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Mantorp!! Omg, amazing circuit. Gatebil!!! You guys are so darn spoiled.
    Video please

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    What's happening with this car guys?
    Iron out the fueling and turbo issue's?

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Ok, what's going on guys?!?!

My Cars
    Weedspeed Mark II
    Sorry Daniel I've been extremely bad at updating, and I'm afraid I don't really have any pictures or video for now. I might be able to dig up some pictures later on though.

In short we took care of the main problems that haunted us on Mantorp, which were the bushings in both the front and the rear aswell as the motormounts.

Now that the engine isn't physically moving around we aren't popping any preassure piping anymore which is nice.

Honestly the car "works" kind of well, but nowhere near where we want to be, and since this years season is over we've got ourselves an usually short To-Do list for this winter which is nice because we don't feel like spending too much money on the car because ... reasons that aren't really car-related.

However, the MAIN issue right now is that the mechanical grip provided by the tires is pretty much maxed during cornering and braking. Tires are simply too small for a car this heavy which causes a plethora of problems.

• We can't brake as hard as we want to, because the tires can't handle it due to lack of grip, so we have to brake softer during a longer period. This costs of precious time during the races, aswell as creating unnecessary heat buildup which only worsens the grip-issue.
    • We can't corner the way we want to, the car sort of behaves like an Audi when we are pushing it. We can turn the wheel 1/5th rotation or 4/5th rotation and the car will merrily keep it's course regardless of steering input.
    • Oil return-feed-pump from the turbo isn't entirely up to the task, so we will have to replace that with something that is.

So, to remedy this for next year we are aiming to do the following:
    1. Bigger tires. Specifically, going from 255 all around to 285/295 all around. We're most likely going to go for Toyo R888.
    2. Wider body. To fit the tires we'll have to make room for them, so some additional external work needs to be done.
    3. Less weight. We will be gutting the car to a higher degree, starting with the cheap and easy weight which means removing and re-doing the entire electrical system and then moving onto things like plastic windows, glass fibre and carbon fibre parts until we feel like it's no longer worth the cost.
    4. Move the engine backwards ~15-20cm for better weight distribution. This means removing and re-doing the firewall, adjust seating positions and fabricating a frame to support the front diff/driveshafts etc since they won't be mounted onto the engine block anymore.
    5. New front splitter to accomodate the widening of the body, aswell as additional front downforce through canards.
    6. Maybe install proper diffs both in the front and rear diff, depending on cost.

Aaand that's pretty much it, unless I've forgotten something, which I probably have...

So uhm. Stay tuned? We probably won't get to work on the car until like ... a couple of months since we will be needing the garage-spot to earn some cash fabricating/installing stuff like cages, frames and other things of that nature into other peoples cars. I guess we could take some pics of those jobs and post here aswell if that's of any interest.
    Last edited by Peterjakan; 10-09-2015 at 05:52 PM.

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Excellent to hear the update. Will be following with great interest your work to make this a real track star.
    Last edited by daniels635turbo; 10-09-2015 at 06:00 PM.

My Cars
    Weedspeed Mark II
    We'll make it work up to the point where we feel that throwing more money at it isn't worth it anymore. And then hopefully, in a couple of years when we might be in a better financial situation we will be able to get started on what we will be building next

It's allready planned and halfway figured out :P

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Something like this? Turn up the volume.

https://youtu.be/HlCeMFPC6HM
    Last edited by daniels635turbo; 10-09-2015 at 06:25 PM.

My Cars
    Weedspeed Mark II
    You're not TOO far off.

We're thinking tubular frame chassis, glass fibre body, mid engined S85, maybe with some boost if the 500 HP is deemed unsatisfactory.

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI

My Cars
    Weedspeed Mark II
    Yea that one is really cool, but there's allready a person building a souped up replica-ish of that car on rejsa.nu so since he is allready well on his way we can't go and do something that's allready been done locally :P

Plus we're really curious to try out a mid-engined build.

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Can't cheat physics, it really is a huge undertaking to get a shopping cart to act like a go cart. Love your guys work. Most of us want a little schtick in our daily drivers. Its cool seeing it done to an extreme.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456