Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Weedspeed Mark II: E46 330Xi

Compactive is offline Helpful. BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3x 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterjakan View Post
    You and me both, but at least the 330 was very quick to get built which is the only way we'll be getting any sort of track time this year, considering 2 months instead of 7 compared to the Compact.
    I definitely understand. Any chances of compact from hell part 2 next year?
    Want a custom signature? Post requests here, or PM me here | My Flickr

My Cars
    Weedspeed Mark II
    Quote Originally Posted by Compactive View Post
    I definitely understand. Any chances of compact from hell part 2 next year?
    Not really no, we will keep improving the 330 over time. Once we have identified the strenghts and weaknesses we'll know what to focus on come next winter.

My Cars
    Weedspeed Mark II
    OK so here's what's been going on lately up until this evening, in chronological order.

Monday 11th
    We got up early to get the car loaded onto the trailer and got going to Maxxtuning.se 400km/250miles to the south in Vrigstad.
    5 hours later we arrived and got the car unloaded and set into place on the rollers, Nathaniel at Maxxtuning started to make some software adjustment so that the tuning could begin.
    Once all was set in place we got started, and the first pull looked promishing with 580 whp @ 1.5 bars of preassure.
    Second pull....390 whp.....with a delayed spool of 1500 RPM...what the hell...somethinhs not right.
    Removed the air filter and performed a preassure test, no problems detected. Kept going with some general troubleshooting and suspected the turbo might have gone bad.
    After a little while we tried a 3rd pull...490 whp, better, but still not good...results seems to be getting worse as the temperature increases.
    Removed the turbo core and set our sights for GIK Turbo in Gothenburg, 250km/155 miles away.
    Once at GIK we dissassembled the turbo and found out that the turbo shaft was slightly off balance, which had also caused some unusual wear on the bearings.
    We were very skeptical to wether these slight issues could really affect the performance in such a drastic way in the dyno, but then again who knows what happens when things get hot, maybe the shaft becomes even worse in terms of balance?
    Decided to call it a day, and started our return home to Stockholm, while calling PPF.se and have them send a new turbocore to Nathaniel at Maxxtuning.

Wednesday 13th
    I was unable to get the day off from work, so Erik went to Maxxtuning without me and once there they replaced the turbo core and resolved a water temperature issue, and tried again on the dyno.
    Results were still bad, and after more troubleshooting they found an issue with the wastegate, luckely they had everything they needed to fix it on site. Once that was resolved the dyno session could commense for real again.
    We concluded that the VANOS wasn't really cooperating fully, but we ended up with a 710 WHP result anyway. We could probably manage to find about 50 HP more with a fully functional VANOS and some additional tuning.
    Video was recorded before the final tuning pull, so that's why it says 695 whp on there, a few more ponies was squeezed out afterwards, however the AC belt flew off and we got some very concerning noises from the rear of the engine....*clonk clonk clonk* .... shit...oh well, pack it up and go home.

Dyno sheet

Dyno video
    http://youtu.be/rFikU3310eE Couldn't get the embed function to work.

Thursday 14th
    After work we tried to find the source of the damn noise, and went ahead and drilled a big hole in the gearbox housing to try and see any obvious issues. None found really.Removed the oilpan from the engine, some pretty big glimmering pieces in there..shit, crankbearings are most likely fucked. We can forget about trying it out on the track come Friday.

Friday 15th
    Got our friends BMW E30 with S50B30 turbo loaded onto the trailer and started heading towards Mantorp Park where 5100.se were hosting a trackday event.
    On the second pass Johan (owner of E30) got a little too enthusiastic while passing some NA cars and managed to go from 3rd gear into 2nd, instead of 4th... so yea...over revving = problems.

Saturday 16th
    We removed the front, tires, gearbox and lifted out the engine in the E46 and once it was out we quickly found a likely candidate for the noises. The flywheel had gotten loose which caused it to wobble.
    After doing some meassuring we found out that the bolts that we had been using were too short for comfort, but we still wanted to check the bearings.
    Once we had take the engine apart we checked the bearings....no issues there, they were all looking as good as new?
    Inspected some more and with a visit from our friendly engine guru who has been building all sorts of machines since before we were born quickly concluded what we had pretty much allready knew, no faults in the engine.
    A couple of weeks back we had previously drilled a hole in the oilpan for a new oilreturn from the turbo, and cleaned it by washing the engine with 10 liters of diesel two times, but apparently alot of the drill flakes hadn't been flushed out, and that's why the oil was glimmering.
    We cleaned the oil pickup, dissassembled the oil pump and checked the oil filter aswell. Oil pump was fine, filter needs to be replaced.

Sunday 17th
    We reassembled the engine, and put it back in the car. The only thing left to mount onto the car is the front, driveshafts and wheels. We also got proper bolts for the flywheel in place so no more problems there hopefully.

My Cars
    Weedspeed Mark II
    OK so lately we have had ALOT of problems with the car running lean, and also some wierd phenomenon with the fuel pressure but after reworking the fuel system and checking the fuel pumps and the fuel map we finally sent the injectors on test-flowing and whadyaknow, 4 of 6 performed like shit. After some thorough cleaning we tried it again and it FINALLY fuckin works the way we want it to.

Now all that remains is as much DRIVING as possible and maybe some fine tuning but nothing major until winter, that's when we will be focusing on the exterior and stuff like that.

My Cars
    Weedspeed Mark II
    Very short and shaky cellphone footage of a small airstrip event.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87MTypoSsE0.

I am thinking about investing in a proper camera and maybe a couple of GoPros and start a more dedicated youtube channel where we could post any future footage, but I'll have to dabble around a little in video editing software and get aquianted with it first.

My Cars
    Weedspeed Mark II
    Short exterior and interior view from airstrip event VS a Porsche 996 GT2 9FF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEdJa...Ut6A0pHBppRJ_A

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Wicked!

My Cars
    Weedspeed Mark II
    I feel like a small update is in order.

We've gotten started on shedding some weight, and trying to overcome the oh so joyous work of getting the better of all the norwegian chrome as we call it here in Sweden. You yanks may know it better as rust

We cut out all the unnecessary parts of the doors, saving about 5-7 kg each by getting rid of the impact beam, the glass window and the electric components.

Painting the doors with anti-rust where needed.

And let it sit for a bit.

As soon as that was done we got started on the rust on the car itself, lots of small spots pretty much everywhere around the doors and fenders, marked it up in preparation for the grinding.

Underneath the car simply grinding off the rust and applying anti-rust wasn't enough, so we had to replace some parts entirely.

Continuing on with the chassis.

Not very exciting update really but we've ordered some parts that will hopefully provide more joyous updates soon

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Not exciting but very important! Nice work there.

My Cars
    Weedspeed Mark II
    So the only thing bodywise that survived the crash was the rear wing which obviously was not attached to the car during the crash, so we had a go and made some mounting points for it on the 330xi and it came out like this.

Might have to modify them to get the wing to the correct height and such but we'll see about that when we get the car back on the ground.

We've also ordered one of these..

For better gearshifts

Also ordered a glass fibre hood, and we're still waiting for the fenders.

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Gonna flat bottom it? Rear diffuser?
    What are the plans for the aero on the front?

My Cars
    Weedspeed Mark II
    To start off with we'll settle for a front splitter, since we never got to track it this summer we don't really know anything about how the chassis handles on a track, so we'll have to test and see.

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Ever wondered what the engine would run like in a chassis like this?

http://autodesign.com/wp-content/the...560&zc=1&h=170

My Cars
    Weedspeed Mark II
    Well, sure, which is why we have pretty much decided what our next build will be, allthough we probably won't be starting the build until at least a full year, and then it'll probably take like, 2 or 3 years to finish it.

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3
    Love seeing these updates!

My Cars
    86 911, 91 XJ
    amazing!

My Cars
    '97 M3/2/6 '01 996tt
    Flares in route
    http://www.hardmotorsport.com http://Facebook.com/HardMotorsport

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Hows the beast coming along?

My Cars
    Weedspeed Mark II
    Quote Originally Posted by daniels635turbo View Post
    Hows the beast coming along?
    Was going to wait a little for more pictures and progress but I suppose I could share where we're at right now

We recieved our fender flares from Hard Motorsport, and had them loosely fitted.

We are very pleased with the quality of the fenders, the plastic is rather firm but still bendable enough so that you can shape it along the bodywork.

Also recieved our glass fibre hood and had it semi-mounted.

We finished cutting the rear quarterpanels and had the innerpanel welded and anti-rust painted on both sides.

We also got ourselves an M-sport front for some better looks, but also nice since this front has room for some brakecooling, which the standard E46 front sort of lacks.

Had a tire mounted and jacked into rideheight position.

This weekend my brother with the help of some friends of ours got the bottom end of the engine put together and balanced the entire crankpackage.

So on our immidiate to-do-list would be:
    • Put the rest of the engine together
    • Get started on the front splitter
    • Cooling for the brakes
    • Get all the bodywork mounted properly
    • Send it away for some much needed paint

Hopefully we'll be able to progress quickly from here on now without too many issues.
    Last edited by Peterjakan; 02-19-2015 at 11:58 AM.

My Cars
    e36 m3 Ls2, 318I, 325is
    Nice!!

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Waite....I can't see anywhere about another engine tear down, what happened?

My Cars
    Weedspeed Mark II
    Quote Originally Posted by daniels635turbo View Post
    Waite....I can't see anywhere about another engine tear down, what happened?
    Oh right, I never mentioned that on this forum.

When we raced the Porsche and Audi R8 on the last airstrip event our oilpumpshaft decided it had had enough of being lonely and separated itself from the rest of the pump and ventured into the warm embrace of the oil at the bottom of the oilpan.

This happened at about 7000 RPM in 5th gear so about 270 km/H, obviously this is not good for the engine.

We have replaced:
    • Oilpump - upgraded version now that is beefier
    • Oilpump chain
    • Bearings
    • 1x Rod
    • New crankshaft - old one might have been fine but we'd rather not risk it
    • ATI damper - the stock damper had started to separate, which might have been one of the reasons the oilpumpshaft broke
    • New engine block - The old block wasn't damaged but we machined a new one a little differently than the first one

So here's some more pictures that my brother just posted

I also made a quick lil' watermark to put on our images, not sure if it looks cheesy or if it adds anything but anyways..

New engineblock is being drilled.

Then it got planed

Newly washed.

Various parts that needs to be put into the block.

Our friend Thomas over at http://www.aland.com/allmek adjusting the bearing tolerances.

Crankshaft in place

ATI damper mounted.

And that's all for now
    Last edited by Peterjakan; 02-14-2015 at 08:33 PM.

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Well in one update you guys did more than most of us could do in a year! Wish I could send my dead in the water e24 turbo build.

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Awesome work there!! So jealous

My Cars
    e36 m3 Ls2, 318I, 325is
    ♡♡♡♡♡

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast