Thread: E36 Rear Interior lighting Upgrade problem

My Cars
    E36,Datsun510.T-Tundra

E36 Rear Interior lighting Upgrade problem

Decided to blackout the interior so i went with the black Interior lights from a late model e36 M3( 4 wire). The Connectors on my 325i (2 wire) are way different than the late model M. Anyone have a writeup on how to integrate these new lights with the existing wiring?
    thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

...When you get a blackeye from trying to change the shift knob.

My Cars
    93 740i, 84 533i
    My guess is the four wire allow for multiple lighting applications, such as dimming or something. Splice together the blues and then the browns and wiring them up. Or, you could easily (and cheaply) paint the old light housings with vinyl paint from Autozone. I did this on my E32 and they came out great.
    Black on Black 740i - 10/92 build date, 225,000 miles.
    Delphin on Cherry 533i - 4/84 build date, 136,000 miles
    Black on Black 328i - 3/96 build date, 185,000 miles - Sold
    2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Half of the m3 light operates like your existing light. The other half can be turned on by a rear seat passenger by using the button in the center. So 2 wires are tramsplanted from your existing light and 2 more wires are added from a switched power source. You'll have to source the correct 4 pin connector for that m3 light

I was always surprised this mod never became popular

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    ... I was always surprised this mod never became popular
    It was popular some years ago, popular enough that I picked up the parts but never got around to installing them. Hmmm. I think I will convert them to LED.

My Cars
    E36,Datsun510.T-Tundra
    Good info, think it would be possible to splice the other 2 wires into the existing wiring or do you think it would put too much of a load on that curcuit?

My Cars
    A couple of hooptys
    Quote Originally Posted by DEFKON99 View Post
    Good info, think it would be possible to splice the other 2 wires into the existing wiring or do you think it would put too much of a load on that curcuit?
    You can't do that. First off, then the switchable bulbs would come on when the other lights were triggered (not that big of a deal), but they would also only have power when the courtesy lamps were triggered (door open; courtesy lamps switched on from main dome light). Run your own power wire to those extra two wires (either ignition switched or constant) so that they light properly. Also, the switched bulbs are reverse polarity while the courtesy bulbs are standard. If you do an LED upgrade, you'll need to either buy expensive reversed polarity LED festoons, or just buy a whole bunch of regular polarity LED festoons, and switch the polarity yourself on 4 of them (2 for the front domes, 2 for the rear c-pillar lamps). It's not really that hard.

1997 328i/4/5 - Cosmosschwarz Metallic on Dove Grey - Auto/Manual Swap - M3 Bilstein Sport/H&R Sports (95 M3 mounts) - Offset M3 LCAB - 20mm M3 rear sway bar - X-Brace - AA Tuning Strut Tower Bar - Rogue Engineering RSM - Dinan Cat-Back - 3.38 LSD - E46 330 front/328 rear brakes - SS Brake Lines - E36 fitment Style 42's (staggered) - M3 Front Bumper - M3 side moldings - M3 Rear Diffuser - DJ Auto Headlights (6k HIDS) - Frenched Fogs - OEM Clear Tails - E65 Rearview Mirror (Homelink controls + Autodim) - Alpine Type S Cabin Speakers (6x9 Retrofit) - 8" JVC woofer - Black Kidneys - Red Needles/Chrome Gauge Rings - OEM Alarm - Full Interior/Trunk LED Lighting - Mishimoto Full-Aluminum Radiator - More to Come!

My Cars
    E36,Datsun510.T-Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by Avec View Post
    My guess is the four wire allow for multiple lighting applications, such as dimming or something. Splice together the blues and then the browns and wiring them up. Or, you could easily (and cheaply) paint the old light housings with vinyl paint from Autozone. I did this on my E32 and they came out great.
    i will try it this way and see how it pans out. thanks! i also just found that the mirrors also use this type of connector.

My Cars
    A couple of hooptys
    If you read my response to this original question, you'll figure out why that wont work.

1997 328i/4/5 - Cosmosschwarz Metallic on Dove Grey - Auto/Manual Swap - M3 Bilstein Sport/H&R Sports (95 M3 mounts) - Offset M3 LCAB - 20mm M3 rear sway bar - X-Brace - AA Tuning Strut Tower Bar - Rogue Engineering RSM - Dinan Cat-Back - 3.38 LSD - E46 330 front/328 rear brakes - SS Brake Lines - E36 fitment Style 42's (staggered) - M3 Front Bumper - M3 side moldings - M3 Rear Diffuser - DJ Auto Headlights (6k HIDS) - Frenched Fogs - OEM Clear Tails - E65 Rearview Mirror (Homelink controls + Autodim) - Alpine Type S Cabin Speakers (6x9 Retrofit) - 8" JVC woofer - Black Kidneys - Red Needles/Chrome Gauge Rings - OEM Alarm - Full Interior/Trunk LED Lighting - Mishimoto Full-Aluminum Radiator - More to Come!

My Cars
    E36,Datsun510.T-Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by jagerking View Post
    If you read my response to this original question, you'll figure out why that wont work.
    hah yea just tried it and read that over, reverse polarity , One worked but yea im going to have to run a separate +,

My Cars
    02 330xi i || 01 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by DEFKON99 View Post
    hah yea just tried it and read that over, reverse polarity , One worked but yea im going to have to run a separate +,
    It's not just the polarity that's the issue. If you want the second bulb to work properly you need to run a new + wire that is controlled by the ignition being in ACC or RUN. If you just tap the wire that's running out there now the second bulb will only turn on with the interior lights which totally defeats the purpose of the light switch.
    Yoy.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    What are u guys talkin about two bulbs and a button? I see none of that in the pics and my m3 has neither. Is there some kinda c pillar lights that u can turn on from the back?

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    02 330xi i || 01 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    What are u guys talkin about two bulbs and a button? I see none of that in the pics and my m3 has neither. Is there some kinda c pillar lights that u can turn on from the back?
    Yes, the lux package has switchable lights in the back. That's what the 4 wires are for. With all the talk about wiring I didn't notice the pic you posted is the other type of light.

Yoy.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Ah i see, that's a cool upgrade but alotta work to run the power and ground to both sides methinks. Think about how much disassembly.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    02 330xi i || 01 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    Ah i see, that's a cool upgrade but alotta work to run the power and ground to both sides methinks. Think about how much disassembly.
    It's not that bad, the wire you want is behind/under the glovebox and it's pretty straight forward to run it under the door sills. Ground already at the light. Then again I've taken those parts off 10 times, it gets easier every time
    Yoy.

My Cars
    E36,Datsun510.T-Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by e36fiend View Post
    It's not that bad, the wire you want is behind/under the glovebox and it's pretty straight forward to run it under the door sills. Ground already at the light. Then again I've taken those parts off 10 times, it gets easier every time
    ok so which wire is it should i run just one wire? anyway to make a schematic of this to close this thread once and for all since it seems like you got the knowledge im looking for

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Here is how the factory did it from 9/96 onward:

You can swap the corresponding pair of contacts, 1-2 or 3-4, to satisfy a reverse-polarity (non-festoon) LED. The 1997 and later BMW E36 ETMs give splice locations, additional wire colors and a color code decoding chart.
    Last edited by johnf; 07-16-2014 at 03:26 AM.

My Cars
    E36,Datsun510.T-Tundra
    OK i see, and what wire behind the glove box? And shall i run 2 wires or run one then splice then run into the second light?

My Cars
    1996 320i Saloon

E36 Rear Interior lighting Upgrade problem - P/N 61138380696

Very handy diagram. I'm Performing this upgrade myself, and found this thread.. Very helpful.

In case anyone is looking for connector part numbers: 61138380696

https://www.google.com/search?q=61138380696

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=61138380696

Quote Originally Posted by johnf View Post
    Here is how the factory did it from 9/96 onward:

You can swap the corresponding pair of contacts, 1-2 or 3-4, to satisfy a reverse-polarity (non-festoon) LED. The 1997 and later BMW E36 ETMs give splice locations, additional wire colors and a color code decoding chart.