Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rebuilt interior plastic parts (glovebox)

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Man this stuff is great!

20180519_150410.jpg

Now a vote: black or beige screw caps? You know, since I now actually have something to put the screws into...

Beige:

20180512_181421.jpg20180512_172538.jpg

Black: (haven't tried these yet but you know what black looks like)

Next up, black center console and door hockey sticks. Black glove box is about ready to go in too, reinforced and Plast-aid'd.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 05-24-2018 at 01:44 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    Man this stuff is great!

20180519_150410.jpg

Now a vote: black or beige screw caps? You know, since I now actually have something to put the screws into...

Beige:

20180512_181421.jpg20180512_172538.jpg

Black: (haven't tried these yet but you know what black looks like).
    Go with what you like obviously, but, I think my preference would be black. I can't find a clear online pic example with a beige dash and dark lower half, but, the entire point of the caps is to not draw your eye to the screws and holes "pay no attention here" so to speak, to blend and appear seamless. It goes against that mindset and creates its own unique look. Which isn't bad, just different.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ79 View Post
    Go with what you like obviously, but, I think my preference would be black. I can't find a clear online pic example with a beige dash and dark lower half, but, the entire point of the caps is to not draw your eye to the screws and holes "pay no attention here" so to speak, to blend and appear seamless. It goes against that mindset and creates its own unique look. Which isn't bad, just different.
    Yeah I've never really seen a pic either, but I wasn't about to pull the dash and go black there. Since the black speaker grills tie into the black vents, I figured black hockey sticks and glove box/under panel made sense too, but if I hate it I'll just change it back. The edge of the hockey sticks flare out to line up with those panels.

I'm inclined to agree with the black caps, but I only had the beige on hand so figured what the heck, I'll give them a try. My black console came without an OBD cover, so either I find a black one or rock the beige there too.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 05-24-2018 at 02:20 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    z3
    Those caps are meant to hide the screws. Using beige caps in a black part draws more attention to them.... To be perfectly honest it looks really bad. No caps would look better

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    Man this stuff is great...
    The plastic repair kits are quite good. I have not used Plast-Aid, but have use Plastex which is similar. But even with some smearing, their repairs are little more than butt welds which are no stronger than the original plastic, if that. For strong mending of broken screw tabs, I use the plastic repair kits only to set the broken parts back into alignment. The repaired tab can easily break again under the stress of installation. So I coat the repaired tab with a jacket of JB Weld, engulfing the metal screw clip but leaving the hole open, far back into the main body of the panel.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Those caps are meant to hide the screws. Using beige caps in a black part draws more attention to them.... To be perfectly honest it looks really bad. No caps would look better
    Black caps were delivered today.

The beige caps still hide the screws though, attention grabbing or not. But yeah, they draw attention to the mounting location. I'm still missing a driver's side door panel, so my eye only goes there right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    The plastic repair kits are quite good. I have not used Plast-Aid, but have use Plastex which is similar. But even with some smearing, their repairs are little more than butt welds which are no stronger than the original plastic, if that. For strong mending of broken screw tabs, I use the plastic repair kits only to set the broken parts back into alignment. The repaired tab can easily break again under the stress of installation. So I coat the repaired tab with a jacket of JB Weld, engulfing the metal screw clip but leaving the hole open, far back into the main body of the panel.
    That's not a bad idea. The driver's side panel went back in just fine and nothing else broke, but I may encapsulate the glove box tabs' screw clips before tossing that back in. I bought the black pieces second hand for super cheap, so I was ok experimenting with a repair.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 05-24-2018 at 05:07 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    2002 z3 3.0
    Bringing this thread back to life. I am going to have to rebuild the tabs, but also on the dash itself I have nothing there to mount to. As the glove box came out I had crumbled plastic everywhere. This car sat mothballed in the South Carolina sun and it really took its toll on the plastics.

Anyone have any pictures of the dash itself where the two screws in the glove compartment mount straight upwards to?

My Cars
    2002 z3 3.0

Here’s where some mounting tabs should be, I just have no idea what they’d look like

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster,e46 325i
    Pretty funny I was doing the exact same thing and stumbled on this post. I was repairing my sagging glove box with the ND kit and fixing the temp control knob and found the glove box mounting tabs crumbling or disintegrated. Here's my take on the repair:

I used some tiger hair epoxy filler to reform the mounts in a similar way that you did. I also reinforced the abs by heating up a small washer and melting it into the abs before building up new tabs, don't get too carried away on this part and make a mess. For anyone trying this out, you can use foil HVAC duct tape (real duct tape, not cloth) to create a form to build up the tab.

When the epoxy hardens it wont stick to the foil tape. Then use a dremel and utility knife to bring it into shape. Here's a couple pics, and the OP's strength test.
    IMG_1229.jpgIMG_1231.jpg

My Cars
    97 M3, 99 M Coupe, 06 M3
    Some great advice here! Going to try this out on my M Coupe. I removed the glove box and just as expected one of the mounting tabs is broken.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12