Thread: 5.0 wire harness to e36 help

My Cars
    95 M3 turbo V8, GSXR 600

5.0 wire harness to e36 help

Hey guys I am in the process of finishing my build and I need some help. I have a 1994 mustang motor in my e36 and in 1994 ford decided to Chang up the wire harness. In my e36v8 directions it's telling me to cut the green connector and splice it into the x20 connector. I think i found what connector to splice into but the wire colors are not the same. Has somebody figured this problem out before and can anybody help me? Please see pictures.

1995 E36 turbo v8

My Cars
    1995 318is with a 95 5.0
    I used a 95 engine and harness with my swap. I sent Matt who sells the 5.0 kit what I did for him to add to his document. Send me your email and I will try to get it to you. The easiest thing to do is trace all of the wires that you need to connect from the ford EEC ECU connector and connect them to the BMW x20 connector. There are only 10 to 12 needed to run the engine. The 95 harness has a ton of crap that you don’t need on it (fog lights, alarm) that made making the harness a pain. The 94-95 5.0 EEC hates any and all modifications and that’s why ford guys get rid of them or sometimes pay you to take it with something else. I have a megasquirt that’s going in soon so I can install power adders.

My Cars
    95 M3 turbo V8, GSXR 600
    Quote Originally Posted by rprbeantown View Post
    I used a 95 engine and harness with my swap. I sent Matt who sells the 5.0 kit what I did for him to add to his document. Send me your email and I will try to get it to you. The easiest thing to do is trace all of the wires that you need to connect from the ford EEC ECU connector and connect them to the BMW x20 connector. There are only 10 to 12 needed to run the engine. The 95 harness has a ton of crap that you don’t need on it (fog lights, alarm) that made making the harness a pain. The 94-95 5.0 EEC hates any and all modifications and that’s why ford guys get rid of them or sometimes pay you to take it with something else. I have a megasquirt that’s going in soon so I can install power adders.

thanks for the info. my new plan is to put a 93 ECU and harness in. it will be a lot cleaner and easier.

1995 E36 turbo v8

My Cars
    1993 318is
    If your looking for clean and easy use a megasquirt and build your own harness. I just redid my harness and removed half the oem mustang wiring for my megasquirt.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by masat03 View Post
    If your looking for clean and easy use a megasquirt and build your own harness. I just redid my harness and removed half the oem mustang wiring for my megasquirt.
    I second this. Having the ability to tune your own car is a godsend especially when you add a turbo(s).

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by natem31995 View Post
    thanks for the info. my new plan is to put a 93 ECU and harness in. it will be a lot cleaner and easier.
    Did you end up using the 86 harness? If so, did you have to make any changes on the harness or change any parts on the motor to make it work? I have a harness from an 87 5.0 and I believe it’s the same as the 93

My Cars
    E46 330ci, e36 5.0 soon
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnhoey5 View Post
    Did you end up using the 86 harness? If so, did you have to make any changes on the harness or change any parts on the motor to make it work? I have a harness from an 87 5.0 and I believe it’s the same as the 93
    Has anyone used an 87 harness? I’m trying to figure out how to connect it to the x20

My Cars
    5.0 325is
    I would get a harness from painless performance. Don’t even bother with the mustang harness, you just end up with a hacked up 30 year old harness that doesn’t fit the E36 real well. I Recently changed to a painless harness and wish I would have done this from the get go, it’s a lot easier.