Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E21 Air Conditioning

My Cars
    2000 323i
    Upgrading to a parallel-flow condenser is definitely the way to go. I haven't done the E21 yet, but I converted my e28 to 134A including a sanden compressor and new PF condensor. Together they work VERY well.
    1975 2002 - Swap in Progress
    1982 320i - Well Loved
    1982 323i - Cooler than first appearance
    1988 M5 - The Original

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320iS
    Does anyone know of a confirmed "drop in" parallel flow condensor that will work in an E21 with the original hoses? One that will work with little or no mods?

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalE21 View Post
    Does anyone know of a confirmed "drop in" parallel flow condensor that will work in an E21 with the original hoses? One that will work with little or no mods?
    Not a valid question, since any 30 year old hose must be replaced, and also the old hoses are often not suitable for R134a anyway (it has a smaller molecule that leaks out more easily). Hoses are cheap and easy to get. Search for a "hose and gasket" or hydraulic hose shop in your area. I pay about $15/ea to have them made.

No one sells an exact replacement parallel flow condenser, but there are many generic ones. I just bought one from Nostalgicac.com for another project. I haven't measured, but I'm sure they have one that's suitable for an E21. You want to cram in the biggest one possible.

My Cars
    99 Z3 80 320i 71 2002
    Pardon my ignorance but the only benefit from a PF condenser is more efficient cooling of the refrigerant which in turn is lower temps at the vent?

My Cars
    1979 E21 320i
    In a nutshell, yes. I imagine it would also reduce load on the compressor, though I'm not sure if ours cycles at all, to be honest. If it does, the controls must be somewhere in the dash
    -John

My Cars
    1983 320I, 1986 325E
    Quote Originally Posted by Somjuan View Post
    In a nutshell, yes. I imagine it would also reduce load on the compressor, though I'm not sure if ours cycles at all, to be honest. If it does, the controls must be somewhere in the dash
    The AC knob on the dash does cycle the compressor. If I set it low enough, mine will sense the temperature of the evap coil and turn the compressor on and off.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320iS
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    Not a valid question, since any 30 year old hose must be replaced, and also the old hoses are often not suitable for R134a anyway (it has a smaller molecule that leaks out more easily). Hoses are cheap and easy to get. Search for a "hose and gasket" or hydraulic hose shop in your area. I pay about $15/ea to have them made.

No one sells an exact replacement parallel flow condenser, but there are many generic ones. I just bought one from Nostalgicac.com for another project. I haven't measured, but I'm sure they have one that's suitable for an E21. You want to cram in the biggest one possible.
    I run R12 and my 30 year old hoses work fine.

My Cars
    1977 320i
    I know you (John) have a late model but, to the early crowd....
    I know that I did not plug in my wire from the AC switch into wherever it goes (the expansion valve)...I know this now. Can I get to it just after taking off the heater panel or do I need to remove the whole center console? Thanks, I guess I will start with just the panel. I am going to get this thing fixed.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to add some info:
    It looks like this FOUR SEASONS company has taken over the YORK car AC business and YORK has moved on to Home and Commercial refrigeration.
    Anyhoo...right here, it says this is a reman York 206 but, it doesn't say mini. Over at the S10 (chevy truck) forum, I guess they used a 206, 209, and a 210. If some of them are right, there is a 206 mini and a 206. Would love to know just in case someone else wants to know.

I guess my expansion valve wasn't unplugged. I unplugged the wires to it, I guess. Going to test it now. From external power, I already know the compressor works.

- - - Updated - - -

oh...here's the link:
    https://www.amazon.com/Four-Seasons-...ype=automotive

- - - Updated - - -

ALSO...the S10 guys are saying that the 80-83 e21 has the York 209 mini. Early has a 206 mini but, they are in the same case, have the same mounting, and something is changed internally to make the displacement bigger.

My Cars
    1979 E21 320i
    There's a bunch of John's around here, huh? Does anyone know if my early model has a wire going to the expansion valve? Never noticed it uninstalling the old one, maybe it came off?
    -John

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    The expansion valve is purely mechanical, there are no wires to it.

My Cars
    1977 320i
    Not WIRE per se but, flexible metal prong? Pretty much every 70-80's AC "MIN/MAX" knob I've ever seen has one. For example:

that probe goes somewhere eh? it plugs in. anyhoo, I guess the electrical power wires on my AC thermostat switch came off therefore, my ac would not kick on. Now I'm going to fill it again and use some oil/leak sealer this time. Yes, I know I need to fill the oil in the compressor but, I'm just not ready yet.

My Cars
    1983 320I, 1986 325E
    Quote Originally Posted by dups View Post
    Not WIRE per se but, flexible metal prong? Pretty much every 70-80's AC "MIN/MAX" knob I've ever seen has one. For example: that probe goes somewhere eh? it plugs in. anyhoo, I guess the electrical power wires on my AC thermostat switch came off therefore, my ac would not kick on. Now I'm going to fill it again and use some oil/leak sealer this time. Yes, I know I need to fill the oil in the compressor but, I'm just not ready yet.
    It is SO easy to change the O rings. Leak sealer will just mess the system up.

My Cars
    1980 320iS, 1970 2002
    Has anybody used one of those?
    http://www.dtechparts.com/bmw-2002-k...ac-evaporator/
    Made for a 2002, but the setup in the E21 should be very similar, and you don't have to mess with integrating the A/C into the existing heater system.
    The evaporator is 14" wide, so it might interfere with either your right leg or the glove box.
    But it would all be brand new and efficient...
    Dieter

My Cars
    1983 320I, 1986 325E
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWonly View Post
    Has anybody used one of those? http://www.dtechparts.com/bmw-2002-k...ac-evaporator/ Made for a 2002, but the setup in the E21 should be very similar, and you don't have to mess with integrating the A/C into the existing heater system. The evaporator is 14" wide, so it might interfere with either your right leg or the glove box. But it would all be brand new and efficient... Dieter
    I have thought about using one of those. I just am not sure how to mount it in a way that is functional and still looks nice.

My Cars
    1977 320i
    On the current season of "Wheeler Dealers", they just put one of those in a 65 Volvo. That's it...that's all I got. Totally useless information.

My Cars
    1983 320i
    Hi Guys,
    I just found and went through this thread. I replaced the "Brick" in my 83 back in 2010-2011. I actually bought the York compressor from, of all places, Freightliner(the truck company).
    I changed over to r134 at the time but I cannot remember all of the steps. I did replace the drier and a part under the dash with the little capillary tube, and the o-rings. It's been working well ever since. I found and attached a pdf in case it's helpful.

If I find anything else I will post, I'm still looking for the Freightliner part number for it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    1977 320i
    It looks like my gas is all leaking out of the passenger side, right before the glove box starts and just after the center console. It came right out the lower trim under the dash. I have no idea what's right there but, I do know that trim piece is separate. Thinking maybe I can get some orings on whatever is there for now. Any idea what it might be? I think a pipe or two comes out of the box there?

So it basically leaks right out of the Vent (for the heat from the engine) flap there. Know what I mean?

My Cars
    1979 E21 320i
    Sounds like your condenser or your evap valve. Does it come from the tar-like goo, or actually in the console?

My Cars
    1983 320I, 1986 325E
    It looks like my gas is all leaking out of the passenger side, right before the glove box starts and just after the center console. It came right out the lower trim under the dash. I have no idea what's right there but, I do know that trim piece is separate. Thinking maybe I can get some orings on whatever is there for now. Any idea what it might be? I think a pipe or two comes out of the box there?

So it basically leaks right out of the Vent (for the heat from the engine) flap there. Know what I mean?
    Change your O-Rings to eliminate that as a possibility.

My Cars
    1977 320i
    Yeah, I'm thinking it's something like #5 here. Going in to the pipes coming from the evaporator. Only for mine it calls it a "conical ring" instead of a rubber gasket. 20mm (or 3/4 inch if I have to.) it says, for late model, 11.1mm. Someday, when it's colder...I'll fix it.

behr ac.jpg

My Cars
    1983 320I, 1986 325E
    I got a e30 318i rotary compressor and bracket recently and I am going to attempt to use it. I think I need to have 1-2 new hoses made to install it though. I just hope the compressor is still good since I am going through the effort of installing it.

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecatmilton View Post
    I got a e30 318i rotary compressor and bracket recently and I am going to attempt to use it. I think I need to have 1-2 new hoses made to install it though. I just hope the compressor is still good since I am going through the effort of installing it.
    If interested i've two e30 (m42) compressors available. These are also later rotary style, lighter units with Vbelt pulley. Going to toss them for scrap later this summer along with about everything else if no takers.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Yeah, I'm thinking it's something like #5 here. Going in to the pipes coming from the evaporator. Only for mine it calls it a "conical ring" instead of a rubber gasket. 20mm (or 3/4 inch if I have to.) it says, for late model, 11.1mm. Someday, when it's colder...I'll fix it.

behr ac.jpg
    These #5's are copper "flare gaskets", not rubber o-rings. Best price I found for them (they can be several bucks apiece) is from this guy on ebay (no relationship, just a satisfied customer).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLARE-A-C-CO...oAAOSwo4pYL8uU

Smear some "Nylog" on the tube ends and copper seals before you tighten it back together.

My Cars
    1977 320i
    oh boy. Another Florida summer, and I still haven't fixed it.

My Cars
    1983 320I, 1986 325E
    Quote Originally Posted by autox320 View Post
    If interested i've two e30 (m42) compressors available. These are also later rotary style, lighter units with Vbelt pulley. Going to toss them for scrap later this summer along with about everything else if no takers.
    I may be interested in them. Are they the same as a e30 m10 air conditioning compressor?
    Last edited by Thecatmilton; 06-17-2017 at 12:31 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast