Thread: Bilstein Sport Differences Between Models

My Cars
    G60

Bilstein Sport Differences Between Models

Just ordered a new set of Bilstein Sports for my 2.8 coupe this morning.

Part#'s:
    F4-VE3-4403-H1
    F4-VE3-4402-H1

Hopefully this is the right strut/damper for my car. I got a little confused as to whether to buy these or the ones listed for the M Coupe since it appears that the ones I ordered are also the same part # for the 4cyl Z3's.

It's probably a little bit silly to ask after the fact but was wondering if anyone had any opinions or experience with the two different models.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 Roadster
    The /M version of these cars have different suspensions from the non-/M versions and take different shocks.

The Bilstein sports are for lowered suspension while the Bilstein HD is for the stock suspension. In either case, the rears are the same.

The 4403 and 4402 should be correct sport shocks for the fronts of a non-/M roadster or coupe.

The rears should be 2386.
    Last edited by Blacklane; 02-23-2014 at 02:16 PM.

My Cars
    G60
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacklane View Post
    The /M version of these cars have different suspensions from the non-/M versions and take different shocks.

The Bilstein sports are for lowered suspension while the Bilstein HD is for the stock suspension. In either case, the rears are the same.

The 4403 and 4402 should be correct sport shocks for the fronts of a non-/M roadster or coupe.

Thank you for your response. I actually installed a complete OEM M suspension on my 2.8 earlier last year. I noticed a difference in the upper shock mount on the front struts along with the sway bar mounting tabs that the non M's don't have.

What I'm really curious about is why the Bilsteins share the same part # between the 4 and 6 cylinder models. I would have thought they would have a different part # between the two considering the weight difference?

My Cars
    1998 Z3 Roadster
    My guess is that the weight difference is handled by the springs. The job of the shock absorber is to prevent bouncing of the wheels, which is a function of the unsprung weight, or the wheels, brakes, hubs, and suspension parts. Those are the same for the 4- and 6-cylinder cars.

My Cars
    Z3 Track prepped DASC
    The difference is in the attachment point for the sway bar. Regular Zs attach to the Control arm, /Ms attach to the strut resulting in higher sway bar ratio (stiffer) IMHO all, Zs benefit from more front sway bar so using /M struts on any one of the cars would be a benefit. There are some minor differences in the various springs between 4 cyl 6 cyl and /M cars (paint marks) but I can't attest to the rate or ride height diference. I have coupe springs on my 1.9 now and they look the same but the paint marks are different, and I think they are stiffer. Op I see you already upgraded to the /M fronts so you would probably want to maintain the sway bar mount, which you will not have with the ones you ordered.

My Cars
    G60
    Quote Originally Posted by albrazzi View Post
    The difference is in the attachment point for the sway bar. Regular Zs attach to the Control arm, /Ms attach to the strut resulting in higher sway bar ratio (stiffer) IMHO all, Zs benefit from more front sway bar so using /M struts on any one of the cars would be a benefit. There are some minor differences in the various springs between 4 cyl 6 cyl and /M cars (paint marks) but I can't attest to the rate or ride height diference. I have coupe springs on my 1.9 now and they look the same but the paint marks are different, and I think they are stiffer. Op I see you already upgraded to the /M fronts so you would probably want to maintain the sway bar mount, which you will not have with the ones you ordered.
    I actually installed an M bar and attached it to the lower Z3 mount points intentionally to reduce roll stiffness in the front. After I installed the M suspension I noticed quite a bit more understeer than I had with my worn out stock Z3 suspension and without the ability adjust the alignment the cheapest way to dial out a bit of the understeer was to pick up and install the M bar which I bought for $60.

I do like the feeling of the car sitting flat around turns but from what I've experienced a softer front bar has always helped to increase the ability to oversteer if needed. I'm curious to know if the damping is the same between the Z3/3 series as the M versions?

Here is a picture of my stock Z3 rear spring vs an M. The M was thicker and noticeably shorter yet the car sat almost at the same height after install.
    IMG_0853_zpsf1c20d98.jpg
    Last edited by yip; 02-23-2014 at 10:35 PM.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i Roadster

The Bilstein "HD" package for my 2001 Z3 3.0 Roadster just arrived from Turner. Before I call Turner to confirm that what I have is correct for my car (before I start taking the suspension apart), I thought I would check here first. I have "searched" and read the threads, so I think I understand this, but just want to double-check with people who have already been down this road. My car has the original stock springs, which I intend to reuse.

Front struts: Bilstein P/N 35-044000/35-044017. These are labeled on the boxes as "E36 6/92-98 HD". The Bilstein 2014 application guide does not show these struts for the Z3, but does show them for the E36 sedans and coupes as the "B6 (HD)" option. I'm assuming that since the Z3 uses an E36 front suspension these struts are appropriate for my car. From reading on this forum it appears that the HD strut and the Sport strut use the same valving, but the Sport strut has a shorter rod for use with shorter springs.

Rear shocks: Bilstein P/N 24-023863. These are labeled on the boxes as "Z3 2.3/2.8/3.0 Roadster 96-02 Sport". The Bilstein 2014 application guide shows these shocks for the Z3 as the "B8 (SP)" (Sport) option. The guide does not show a "B6 (HD)" option for the Z3.

So, I think what I have is Bilstein "sport" valving for the front and rear, with the longer-rod front struts appropriate for my stock springs. And, as I understand it, the yellow-painted struts and shocks do NOT need the BMW external bump stops because bump stops are internal to the strut/shock.

Am I correct? Thanks.
    Last edited by BeemerMike; 03-30-2014 at 03:24 PM.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 Roadster
    As far as I can tell, you have it right.
    My 1998 non-M roadster has the OE height HD set-up with 35-4400, 35-4401, 24-2386. The additional digits on your part numbers might mean something like production runs.
    I have shorter Eibach springs to install which use the same HD shocks in the back but 35-44024 and 35-4403 on the front for the sport set-up.
    All of these numbers were copied from the box before installation.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    As far as I can tell, you have it right.
    My 1998 non-M roadster has the OE height HD set-up with 35-4400, 35-4401, 24-2386. The additional digits on your part numbers might mean something like production runs.
    Thanks for the confirmation. The other set of numbers on the boxes is VE3-4400, VE3-4401, and BE3-2386, so I think we are talking about the same parts. Rogue RSMs are on the way, so as soon as they arrive the suspension work can begin.
    Last edited by BeemerMike; 03-30-2014 at 11:19 PM.

My Cars
    '88 E30 M3, '01 Z3 Roady
    Mike, what was the outcome? Are you pleased with the ride, handling, and etc?

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by TUD View Post
    Mike, what was the outcome? Are you pleased with the ride, handling, and etc?
    I have installed the REAR Bilsteins and the Rogue RSMs. The OEs shocks were WAY overdue for replacement (soft, soft, soft and one was weeping oil). The OE RSMs, on the other hand, looked like new (I almost reused them). I'll be replacing the rear sway bar bushings and links this week. So far, nothing harsh about the Bilsteins. I suspect there will be more difference when I do the front.
    Last edited by BeemerMike; 05-17-2014 at 02:36 PM.

My Cars
    '88 E30 M3, '01 Z3 Roady
    Quote Originally Posted by BeemerMike View Post
    I have installed the REAR Bilsteins and the Rogue RSMs. The OEs shocks were WAY overdue for replacement (soft, soft, soft and one was weeping oil). The OE RSMs, on the other hand, looked like new (I almost reused them). I'll be replacing the rear sway bar bushings and links this week. So far, nothing harsh about the Bilsteins. I suspect there will be more difference when I do the front.

Thank you for the info. What was the mileage on your factory shocks at the time of removal? Did you already purchase the front struts and if so any reason for delaying the install?

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    Hey, I went through this same thing and I'm wondering if you noticed a raise in rear ride height with stock springs (I have an '02 3.0). I got bilstein sport fronts and rears, and reused the stock springs. The front ended up having stock ride height but the rear is raised about .75in.

Then I tried H&R springs (which I have for sale, almost new, by the way) but that was a little too low for me so I went back to stock springs.

Anyway the handling is fine, not harsh, etc, but I've never really been happy about how the rear got raised up. At this point I'm resigned to it... Just curious if this happened to you too.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by TUD View Post
    Thank you for the info. What was the mileage on your factory shocks at the time of removal? Did you already purchase the front struts and if so any reason for delaying the install?
    87,000 miles on the OE shocks . . . and they were WAY overdue for replacement. Yes, I already purchased the front shocks as part of the package. Not really delaying the install. I am just doing the rear first, and will check to see what difference there are before I proceed to the front.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by raubritter View Post
    Hey, I went through this same thing and I'm wondering if you noticed a raise in rear ride height with stock springs (I have an '02 3.0). I got bilstein sport fronts and rears, and reused the stock springs. The front ended up having stock ride height but the rear is raised about .75in.
    The rear may be slightly higher, but I don't think it's 3/4". I measured all four corners before the install, and once everything is done, and the car is realigned and driven a little to let the suspension settle, I'll remeasure and see what the changes are, if any. One reason the rear may rise a little is that the OE Sachs (which are supposed to be gas pressure) had essentially NO pressure left.

My Cars
    '88 E30 M3, '01 Z3 Roady
    I ordered the rear Bilsteins for my 3.0i Roady this week. A parts distributor I purchase from currently has M Roadster RSMs on sale for $15.XX a piece, but I am thinking about going with the E46 M3 Vert RSMs.

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    Quote Originally Posted by BeemerMike View Post
    The rear may be slightly higher, but I don't think it's 3/4". I measured all four corners before the install, and once everything is done, and the car is realigned and driven a little to let the suspension settle, I'll remeasure and see what the changes are, if any. One reason the rear may rise a little is that the OE Sachs (which are supposed to be gas pressure) had essentially NO pressure left.
    I hope it works out well for you... I got the car new, and took pictures so I can check the wheel gap from new Sachs shocks then vs after installing the Bilsteins. And I've driven on the Bilsteins for a few years now (so any settling would have already happened). From what I've been able to find out, the Bilsteins have higher pressure than most shocks. Maybe the rear of my car is light enough that the extra pressure lifts it up. I have a manual top, but I wonder if someone with a power convertible top (the motor I think weighs 150lbs) would still have this problem. I haven't heard of many who do, but a few people with 3.0s I've talked to have.