Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: FOR RENT: Rear Subframe Bushing Remover/Installer Tool for E39 Sedan AND Touring

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    The tool is back home with me and available for rent. Thanks to the last renter ed330ci who cleaned up the tool really well and regreased it.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iT (Touring)
    I am interested in a rental of this tool. I am located in San Bruno CA.
    Thank you.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    I'm updating the rental status of the tool. Below is the current reservation list.

1. pjamesturner - current renter
    2. Handshaw

My Cars
    01 540iT Royal Red

FOR RENT: Rear Subframe Bushing Remover/Installer Tool for E39 Sedan AND Tou...

I too need to get in line for this tool. Local OC too. How long is the wait so far?

Quote Originally Posted by M5 Jed View Post
    I know for a fact that the M5s use that 1/4" thick rubber spacer between the bushing and the chassis mount. I don't remember if the wagons use this rubber spacer or not, but I reused my M5 rubber spacers on the wagon build.
    Are these the PN 33312229141 - DAMPING WASHER? Did you install all 4, and how difficult are they to get at when taking off the donor car?

Edit: Reading a whopping few posts down I see all 4 were used. Are the rear 2 still touring bushings? Why did you choose to use all 4 spacers?
    Last edited by OnTouring; 11-10-2014 at 06:35 PM.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTouring View Post
    I too need to get in line for this tool. Local OC too. How long is the wait so far?

Are these the PN 33312229141 - DAMPING WASHER? Did you install all 4, and how difficult are they to get at when taking off the donor car?

Edit: Reading a whopping few posts down I see all 4 were used. Are the rear 2 still touring bushings? Why did you choose to use all 4 spacers?

I'll add you to the list. I'm estimating the wait to be 2 1/2 weeks until you get it. I can have the next renter in line send it directly to you and once you're done you can just drop off the tool to me since you're local.

Yes I used item #16, it's a thick rubber washer sandwiched between the bushing and the chassis. It's not difficult at all to remove, just loosen one large bolt, the subframe itself will drop about an inch, enough room for you to peel it off from the bushing, it just sits on top.

Yes I did a hybrid set up on my wagon so I can use the torsion bars from the M5. The 2 rear bushings are the larger touring specific bushings. I chose to use all 4 spacers so there is no metal to metal contact between the bushings and the chassis, eliminates any possible clunk that might happen. But even without the rubber spacers, there shouldn't be any clunk coz those bushings are torqued down pretty tight to the chassis. I think it's one of those parts that BMW over-engineers, but since I had them, I used them.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Below is the updated reservation list for the tool.

2. Handshaw
    3. OnTouring

My Cars
    2000 528iT
    Hi, first posting here since I just got my touring a few weeks ago. Ordered the bushings today, so they should be in by the time my name comes up on the tool rental list. Could you please add me? Thanks!!!

My Cars
    01 540iT Royal Red
    Yes I used item #16, it's a thick rubber washer sandwiched between the bushing and the chassis. It's not difficult at all to remove, just loosen one large bolt, the subframe itself will drop about an inch, enough room for you to peel it off from the bushing, it just sits on top.

Yes I did a hybrid set up on my wagon so I can use the torsion bars from the M5. The 2 rear bushings are the larger touring specific bushings. I chose to use all 4 spacers so there is no metal to metal contact between the bushings and the chassis, eliminates any possible clunk that might happen. But even without the rubber spacers, there shouldn't be any clunk coz those bushings are torqued down pretty tight to the chassis. I think it's one of those parts that BMW over-engineers, but since I had them, I used them.
    Perfect info.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    [QUOTE=M5 Jed;28075374]Below is the updated reservation list for the tool.

2. Handshaw
    3. OnTouring
    4. Toveycom

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Updating the reservation list for the tool:

1. pjamesturner
    2. Handshaw - current renter
    3. OnTouring
    4. Toveycom

My Cars
    01 540iT Royal Red
    Updating the reservation list for the tool:

1. pjamesturner
    3. OnTouring
    4. Toveycom
    Unfortunately I won't have the car available for the install in time. Bump me to tentative? I'll hop back in once the car is ready.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Not a problem. I'll contact next person in line after you. Below is the updated list.

1. pjamesturner
    3. Toveycom
    4. OnTouring

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    As of this weekend, the tool is heading back to me and will be available to rent as soon as I inspect its condition.

My Cars
    2001 525iT
    What time frame are we talking about to replace the 4 rear sub-frame bushings on a 2001 Touring?
    Is there a good DIY on the process?

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T

It will take aprox 3-4 hours to do the job. It's very straightforward. If you read the earlier posts on this thread, you'll see the steps you need to follow to successfully change out the bushings. Lots of members have already done it with this tool and were surprised how easy it was. It does look daunting and overwhelming at first, but once you get in there, it's really simple.
    Last edited by M5 Jed; 12-28-2014 at 09:19 AM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i
    Jed,

Back in August we had a PM exchange on this topics. I put the project on hold that time, I am back now and have the bushes both for the SF and differential are in my hand. I would like to have the tool in the week starting 5th of January. Is it available?

I would like also to ask a couple of questions (I will use it on a 2000 540i sedan - non M5, but at a later time planning to add torsion bars):
    1. Do you recommend to disconnect any of the suspension elements (shocks, control arms) while replacing the SF bushings?
    2. Do you recommend to replace item 3,4 and 16 with new ones http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...18&hg=33&fg=30
    3. Can your tool be used for the differential busing?
    Last edited by Lompos; 12-22-2014 at 12:27 PM.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T

Hi,

Yes the tool is available and I can ship it to you on Jan. 2 via Priority Mail, it will arrive either on the 5th or 6th of Jan.

To answer your questions:
    1. No, there is no need to disconnect any of the suspension elements at all.
    2. Items #3 & #4 do not go bad at all, no need to replace them, they can be reused. #16 over time can dry up and start to crack, if yours is dried up, it would be a good time to change them while redoing the subframe bushings.
    3. The subframe tool being rented on this thread is specifically for the subframe bushings and will not work for the differential bushings unfortunately. However, I invented my differential bushing tool remover and installer - I can rent these out to you too. They work fantastic and I've already used the tool on several cars before.

See pics below of my differential bushing tool remover & installer:

- - - Updated - - -

Updating this thread with the current reservation list:

1. E39n00b - current renter
    2. Lompos
    Last edited by M5 Jed; 12-22-2014 at 01:30 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i
    Jed, thank you for your prompt reply. From the pictures I assume we will need to drop the subframe completely for the differential bushing replacement, correct? What are the terms for the differential bushing tool?
    Last edited by Lompos; 12-22-2014 at 04:44 PM.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    You're welcome!

There is no need to drop the subframe to replace the diff bushings. The pics show the frame removed because I had done the Dinan reinforcement plate weld job. To replace the diff bushings, the diff definitely has to come down. Once the diff is out, you can replace the bushings using my home made tools.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i
    Jed, sent you a PM about the paypal info. I had problem before with communicating through PM (very limited quota) so asking through the thread to confirm the receipt of my PM contact.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Hi Lompos,

I did get your PM, will respond shortly.

Thanks!

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i
    Thank you Jed for your reply. The PM is a challenge for me, so responding through the thread. Will make the paypal payment by the end of the week for both unit and will be counting on receiving the tools by the 6th of January. Please confirm that is OK with you.

For differential bushing change, besides the differential removal, any suspension components (control arms, struts..) needs to be moved? (I understand that it is not needed for SFB but not clear for differential bushing)

I have an additional question about the 33312229141 part. This damping washer is showing up only for M5 and only two of them is needed based on http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...33&fg=30&hl=22. Consistent with realoem, fcpeuoro https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...her-3331222914 shows also that 2 pcs needed and for the front position only. So it seems that this damping washer is designed to dampen the effect the torsion bar and is needed only for the front. Can you please share your thought on this.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    I tried responding to your PM but looks like you've exceeded amount of PMs.

That's fine if you send the deposit end of the week.

There is no need at all to remove any of the suspension arms or shocks to replace the diff bushings. You will need to remove the diff itself, this will permit you to replace the diff bushings on car.

As for the dampening washer, that is correct, there is only 2 of them used on the forward subframe bushings. I've taken apart 4 complete M5s and each one of them had the dampening washers on the front bushings. If you're going to upgrade to the torsion bars, definitely get the rubber washers.

Cheers!

My Cars
    e39's, e30's, e46's, e53
    Please put me on the list for the tool. I'm starting to get the hard shudder over bumps..I have around 92k.

Other cars that don't matter, and then..
    '01 530i Sport/Premium/Cold Weather(My 1st love)
    '02 540i Sport/Premium/Cold Weather (German bitch)
    '06 330i Sport/Comfort (Sweetness!)
    '08 535i/6 Sport/Premium/Comfort/Nav ()
    '99 528i Sport Touring (Repaired the Previous owners garbage and let her go)
    '02 525iT Premium/Nav/Cold Weather/Alpine/Supercherry
    '90 325i e30 sedan schwarz (1st e30 project!)
    '90 325is e30
    '06 X5 4.4
    '04 325i Sport
    '04 330ci
    '89 325IX 31k Original Miles!
    '04 330i e46 coupe
    '08 550i Sport
    '13 535i Sport
    '13 328i Luxury
    '88 e30 Stroker

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T