Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: FOR RENT: Rear Subframe Bushing Remover/Installer Tool for E39 Sedan AND Touring

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Hi Frank,

I received your PM and responded to it, but yes, a message came saying your inbox was full. No problem. I'll update this thread shortly so you know where you are in the queue.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm updating this reservation list. As of today...

1. atakordie - current renter
    2. IDLOOK2
    3. Tonger

If your name was on the previous list and is not on this list, this is because 1. you never responded to my PMs or 2. your inbox was full I cannot respond to your PMs. If you still want to rent the tool, simply post your interest here and I'll get you added. Also clean up your inbox if possible. Thanks!
    Last edited by M5 Jed; 09-18-2014 at 10:40 PM.

My Cars
    2002 530iT
    I just ordered the bushings and would appreciate getting on the tool rental list.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Updating the reservation list. Member atakordie will be shipping out the tool to the next renter IDLOOK2 by this Friday.

1. atakordie -current renter
    2. IDLOOK2
    3. Tonger
    4. spdygnzlz

My Cars
    2001 525i
    There is a good amount of norcal requesting going on in the more recent posts. Wonder if we could organize a group subframe bushing replacement party? I havent requested yet but interested.
    Last edited by guf; 09-24-2014 at 01:23 AM.

My Cars
    2002 530iT
    Getting together for a group install sounds like a great idea!

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    If the tool comes back to me before the Touring Meet on Oct. 11, I can bring it to whoever there is willing to put up the deposit for tool and you guys can have your bushing party. But just to cover any contingency, if the tool gets damage for any reason, same rules apply as stated on the original post.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Getting the Unicorn ready for its baseline dyno testing this morning, so I took a pic of the M5 Torsion Bars so you guys can have a good look on how it is installed.

My Cars
    2002 530iT
    Did the torsion bars bolt right up without modification?

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    Yes they do but you have to run sedan/M5 bushings in the front two subframe bushings in order for them to bolt in.
    Just make sure that you get all of the mounting hardware and fasteners from the donor M5 when you buy the torsion bars.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Unicorns dual-exhaust setup is so minty OEM looking, it's phenom. Points for keeping the sleeper 540i badge too, though wouldn't ding ya for an M5 badge since it's all done to 10 point perfection.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2002 530iT
    Cool. Just bought a set on ebay and ordered 2 sedan bushings. Going this way with it, I'll have 2 extra Meyle subframe bushings for the Touring available for anyone in or near SF who's doing the installation... Any word on when the bushing tool will be available?

My Cars
    2001 530i
    Is the tool still available for rent?

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Updating the reservation list. Member IDLOOK2 has shipped the tool to the next renter Tonger yesterday.

1. atakordie
    2. IDLOOK2
    3. Tonger - current renter
    4. spdygnzlz
    5. ed330ci

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by spdygnzlz View Post
    Cool. Just bought a set on ebay and ordered 2 sedan bushings. Going this way with it, I'll have 2 extra Meyle subframe bushings for the Touring available for anyone in or near SF who's doing the installation... Any word on when the bushing tool will be available?
    You are next up in line for the tool, so my guess is by end of next week, tool Will be shipping to you.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Unicorns dual-exhaust setup is so minty OEM looking, it's phenom. Points for keeping the sleeper 540i badge too, though wouldn't ding ya for an M5 badge since it's all done to 10 point perfection.
    Thank you for your kind words, it was a labor of love, but it was hard labor lol.

My Cars
    1986 BMW 325, 2000 528iT
    Looks like my wagon will need the subframe work too... I'll get some bushings on order! Any suggestions of the most cost effective dealer/ supplier.

My Cars
    e30 x 2; ls3 e36; 525it
    Thought I'd ask just in case...
    The car feels 10x better after replacing the subframe bushings (also did the thrust and front control arms the prior weekend). However, now I'm left with a slight 50-80mph vibration. The ride was bad enough before that the vibration could have been there all along which would mean there is another driveline or suspension component that needs attention. Did a lot of searching and found someone else with a similar vibration after doing the subframe bushings but no insight to the possible problem. I torqued all four bolts to 120ft-lbs. I honestly don't remember there being a rubber pad for the rear bushing spacer...I'll start there. Any thoughts?
    -Mark

My Cars
    2002 530iT
    Found the bushings on Bavarian Autosport for about $55 each with free shipping!

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by gsboxerpilot View Post
    Looks like my wagon will need the subframe work too... I'll get some bushings on order! Any suggestions of the most cost effective dealer/ supplier.
    if you google the part number of the bushings, you will easily find the cheapest prices. Best is to buy the Meyle HD version of the bushings.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by IDLOOK2 View Post
    Thought I'd ask just in case...
    The car feels 10x better after replacing the subframe bushings (also did the thrust and front control arms the prior weekend). However, now I'm left with a slight 50-80mph vibration. The ride was bad enough before that the vibration could have been there all along which would mean there is another driveline or suspension component that needs attention. Did a lot of searching and found someone else with a similar vibration after doing the subframe bushings but no insight to the possible problem. I torqued all four bolts to 120ft-lbs. I honestly don't remember there being a rubber pad for the rear bushing spacer...I'll start there. Any thoughts?
    I know for a fact that the M5s use that 1/4" thick rubber spacer between the bushing and the chassis mount. I don't remember if the wagons use this rubber spacer or not, but I reused my M5 rubber spacers on the wagon build.

My Cars
    2002 530iT
    Quote Originally Posted by M5 Jed View Post
    I know for a fact that the M5s use that 1/4" thick rubber spacer between the bushing and the chassis mount. I don't remember if the wagons use this rubber spacer or not, but I reused my M5 rubber spacers on the wagon build.
    realoem.com doesn't show the spacers on the touring that the m5 has. You only had the spacers on the front bushings right?

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    I put all 4 rubber spacers on my wagon.

My Cars
    2002 530iT
    Quote Originally Posted by M5 Jed View Post
    I put all 4 rubber spacers on my wagon.
    I was going to order some but just talked to the parts department at Peter Pan BMW and they said only 2 are needed so going with that for now... I'm planning on picking them up this saturday at the BMW meet. I really need to get this done, having the car sound like a bag of loose change while going over bumps kinda sucks.

My Cars
    318i, 540iT, Z3M
    I plan to do the M5 torsion bar retrofit like M5Jed.
    However, when searching for the M5 subframe bushing part number, I don't see any Meyle HD versions. Are the M5 bushings solid already? Or di they not fail enough to warrant an HD version?

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    If I remember correctly, I just ordered the OEM M5 subframe bushings, Lemforder brand. The M5 bushings don't fail all that much so that's probably why a Meyle HD version is hard to find.

- - - Updated - - -

Updating the reservation list. Member Tonger has shipped the tool to the next renter spdygnzlz yesterday.

1. atakordie
    2. IDLOOK2
    3. Tonger
    4. spdygnzlz - current renter
    5. ed330ci

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast