Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: FOR RENT: Rear Subframe Bushing Remover/Installer Tool for E39 Sedan AND Touring

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    I've sent PMs to member bdiefAZ but I haven't received any response so I'll move him a spot down until I hear back from him. eric1ono should be finished with the tool this coming weekend. I'm adding Nick Bain as the next renter on the list.

Tool reservation list:
    1. Gravity
    2. warrenbrown
    3. Flynfish
    4. eric1ono - current renter
    5. Nick Bain
    6. bdiefAZ

My Cars
    85 M635, 98 Z3, 00 528iT
    Just a status update that I agree, I plan to jump on this Sat. morning and get it knocked out. I should be ready to ship on Monday.

Jed,

Thanks for the update on the tool coming. I'll let you know when I get it.

Take care,

Eric

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Updating list with new renter in the queue:

Tool reservation list:
    1. Gravity
    2. warrenbrown
    3. Flynfish
    4. eric1ono - current renter
    5. Nick Bain
    6. 1NAWTY5
    7. bdiefAZ

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Updating the list. Eric will be shipping the tool tomorrow, Monday to next renter Nick Bain.

Tool reservation list:
    1. Gravity
    2. warrenbrown
    3. Flynfish
    4. eric1ono
    5. Nick Bain - current renter
    6. 1NAWTY5
    7. bdiefAZ

My Cars
    85 M635, 98 Z3, 00 528iT
    Just an update. I have shipped the tool to the next renter. I haven't uploaded the pictures I took yet, but a few thoughts before I forget them.

Overall not bad at all. Once you get the car up in the air and can see everything it makes sense. Jed's tool is pretty easy to handle. One note I don't remember seeing, but it's possible I overlooked it, is that I could not fit the tool until I removed both bolts from one side and allowed the subframe to drop further. If I left 3 bolts in and just replaced the 1 bolt with the threaded rod, the subframe didn't drop enough for me to fit the top nut. Once I dropped both bolts and then let the subframe down a little more I could easily fit the top nut. As someone mentioned above there is alot of wrenching. It's not overly difficult, just takes some time.

Oh yes, the night before working I went ahead and got the car in the air and removed the wheels. I then sprayed some penetrating oil on the bushings in hopes it would help them slide out easier. Can't say it definitively did anything, but they did slide out fairly well. After getting them out I checked the part date code and mine were original to the car (2000) with 190k on the clock. I tried applying some heat with a heat gun to one of the bushings (the Bentley manual mentions this technique). I can't say I felt much difference. I did feel like if I torqued down a bit and then took a short break the rubber had a chance to reform and had less resistance than if I just kept wrenching. However it's also true that my muscles also had a chance to rest so maybe it's just me.

On reassembly I applied some grease to the bushings to help them slid into place. Seemed to work well. They slide right in, no heavy duty force required from me.

Since Jed was nice enough to purchase a 24mm ratcheting wrench and shipped it straight to me it made the job that much easier. However when I went to repack everything it posed a problem as the wrench is a good size and the box that had been created (which is quite awesome I have to say. Excellent work!) was sized and laid out perfectly for all the other components. Luckily he got the type with the swiveling head otherwise there is no way it would have fit. As it was I had to make a minor modification to get everything in there and keep it all tight so that nothing was rattling around. My apologies to the original craftsmen of the box. The integrity of the box is unaffected, everything now fits and it still slides perfectly into a medium flat-rate USPS box.

Thanks again for making the tool available. To perform this job requires a tool like this. Without it, I don't see how you could do the job right.

Eric
    Last edited by eric1ono; 07-14-2014 at 10:36 PM.

My Cars
    85 M635, 98 Z3, 00 528iT
    Here are some photos I took. Unfortunately most are a little dark. Hope they are still somewhat helpful.

First up is the shipping box in it's latesst incarnation with the 24mm wrench in place:

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the tool installed and ready to push a bushing out:

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the bushing nearly out:

[IMG][/IMG]

Now the new bushing ready for installation:

[IMG][/IMG]

And a view from the top showing how the tool looks:

[IMG][/IMG]

Hope these help,

Eric

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    Quote Originally Posted by M5 Jed View Post
    Updating the list. Eric will be shipping the tool tomorrow, Monday to next renter Nick Bain.

Tool reservation list:
    1. Gravity
    2. warrenbrown
    3. Flynfish
    4. eric1ono
    5. Nick Bain - current renter
    6. 1NAWTY5
    7. bdiefAZ
    8. whiteghost1 - newest person in line, ordering bushings tonight

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    9. mcsdex2 - requested to be added to list via PM

My Cars
    2002 525iT
    got the sorry we missed u notice, I should get it by tomorrow though and do it on saturday/sunday and ship on monday.

My Cars
    2002 525iT
    Done with tool ready for next renter

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Hey everyone,

I contacted the next renter in line, 1NAWTY5, and he is not ready to receive the tool yet, so I'm bumping up the next one in line, whiteghost1. I've PM'd whiteghost1 already so hopefully he can provide me his shipping info to provide to Nick Bain.

Below is the updated reservation list:

1. Gravity
    2. warrenbrown
    3. Flynfish
    4. eric1ono
    5. Nick Bain
    6. whiteghost1 - current renter
    7. 1NAWTY5
    8. mcsdex2
    9. bdiefAZ

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Looks like the rest of the list is not ready to receive the tool yet, so I've asked Nick to ship the tool back to me.

My Cars
    ms3
    Quote Originally Posted by M5 Jed View Post
    -

This is where I ordered my bushings.

Two rear wagon HD bushes: http://www.eaceuroparts.com/catalog/product/437
    Two front M5 sedan HD bushes: http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_Su...94036mye39.htm
    Are they different? seem to have the same part number referenced 33311094036 and there's no M5 option on the oembimmerparts dropdown menu

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by xcoldricex View Post
    Are they different? seem to have the same part number referenced 33311094036 and there's no M5 option on the oembimmerparts dropdown menu
    That's because it's the link for the Touring rear bushing he pasted, he prob just pasted the wrong link. I got mine from OEMBimmer cuz price obv.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Received deposit from member whiteghost1 today, will be shipping out the tool asap. Cleaned and updated reservation list below.

1. whiteghost1 - current renter
    2. bdiefAZ
    3. mcsdex2
    4. 1NAWTY5
    5. xcoldricex

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    As I was packing the tool box for next renter whiteghost1, I can't get over how awesome the box that warrenbrown created for the tool, fits the free medium flat rate box from the post office like a glove and only costs $17 to ship 2-day Priority Mail anywhere to the US. Brilliant!

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    that is tool cool.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    Indeed this tool is awesome, my mechanic who help me use it in action said he could do this repair all day long!!! I started my bushing replacement and man were they shot, seems like mine was in line with everybody else's - the front bushings are definitely taking more of the physical stresses than the rear. I will also upgrade the front 2x bushings to the M5 version along with the diagonal support braces to the transmission tunnel; now I understand why M-division did this.
    Thanks again Jedman - The tool will be ready to ship out this weekend to the next person, if you want to start knocking on doors - cheers!

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Received deposit from member BJE today. I sent the shipping info to whiteghost1, he will be shipping out the tool by end of the week to next renter BJE. Updated reservation list below.

1. whiteghost1
    2. BJE - current renter
    3. bdiefAZ
    4. xcoldricex
    5. Lompos
    6. mcsdex2 - please clean up your inbox, all my PMs sent to you have returned undelivered.
    7. 1NAWTY5

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT
    Jed, I am up in NorCal (Morgan Hill) would like to rent to tool from you. How long is the list right now?

Let me know Larryd540

My Cars
    e30 x 2; ls3 e36; 525it
    I'd like to rent the tool too. Ordering parts today.
    -Mark

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    The tool is coming back to me, arriving tomorrow. I contacted the members on the waiting list and none of them are ready to rent or have their inbox full so all my PMs are returned. So tool is available for rental once I get it back tomorrow and inspect its condition. The reservation list is pretty much null and void as of now. So its first come first served.

My Cars
    70 Camaro & 99 323i
    I already have my rear SF bushings in a box but im just not ready to take on the job yet. Once im ready tho expect to get a PM from me Jed.
    70Camaro RS & 99 323i Sedan

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Sounds good Mac!

My Cars
    '99 528iT
    I tried to pm M5 JED but evidently I can't send or receive a pm because my inbox is full (there's nothing in it). I'm sure I've run afoul of some local rule but if someone could explain what I need to do to get more inbox space or if M5 JED could call me tomorrow at the number I left, I'd appreciate it.

Basically, I ordered my bushings today and was hoping to get in line for the tool.

Thanks!
    Tonger

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast