Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: FOR RENT: Rear Subframe Bushing Remover/Installer Tool for E39 Sedan AND Touring

My Cars
    '98 528i, '00 M5
    Im happy to find this post M5 Jed. My 528i is in need of the rear subframe bushings to be replaced. Ill be setting up the rental in a few weeks. Thanks!

My Cars
    2002 525iT
    how far out is this tool? I need by friday or look for somewhere else.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Someone else is in line for the tool, it won't be available for another week or so.

My Cars
    2001 525iT
    I'm interested in a rental and already have the subframe bushings. What kind of what are we looking at right now?

thanks for doing this!!

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by Flybot View Post
    Im happy to find this post M5 Jed. My 528i is in need of the rear subframe bushings to be replaced. Ill be setting up the rental in a few weeks. Thanks!
    Cool! When you're ready, let me know and I'll add your name to the list.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynfish View Post
    I'm interested in a rental and already have the subframe bushings. What kind of what are we looking at right now?

thanks for doing this!!
    The tool is currently with Warrenbrown. He should be done by end of this weekend. Then it goes to 3rd person on the list. I can add you as the 4th person. Let me know if you're ok with that. Thanks!

My Cars
    2001 525iT
    Please do!!

Thanks

My Cars
    85 M635, 98 Z3, 00 528iT
    Please add my name to the list as well. I have my parts in now and am ready to get this fixed.

Thanks,

Eric

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Hi all,

Received word from member bdiefAZ that he is out of town and would like to postpone his rental until the end of the month, so I'm moving up the 2 next interested members on the list. So current renter warrenbrown will be shipping off the tool directly to Flynfish by this coming Monday, June23. I'll be sending PM to Flynfish to set up the deposit.

Tool reservation list:
    1. Gravity
    2. warrenbrown - current renter
    3. Flynfish
    4. eric1ono
    5. bdiefAZ

My Cars
    85 M635, 98 Z3, 00 528iT
    Sounds great. Just PM me when you are ready for my info and payment.

Thanks,

Eric

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Yes will do! Thank you as well!

My Cars
    2001 525iT
    Thanks!

My Cars
    88325ix, 91 318is, 95 525iT
    I got the tool after a shipping mishap. Eventually the replacement parts were sourced and received. The tool is super easy to use. My car is a touring so my comment are base on that model. I supported the car on jack stands and loosened the 4 mounting bolts all except for a thread or 2. One at a time, I removed the mounting bolt for the bushing to be removed. That allowed the bushing to drop down a little lower to get the tool assembled in place. Hand tighten up the long arms so they can apply force. Like the book suggests, I applied a little heat to the subframe with a heat gun. I doubt I got it too much over 110 degrees F (warm, not hot to touch) 2- 3 minutes with the heat gun. Then it is a matter of turning the crank so to speak. It would have been helpful to have a 24 MM gear wrench that would ratchet. You can do it without heat but I felt it was easier. Assembly is done with some different parts of the tool and the bushing is basically pulled into place with the threaded rod. Reinstalling the mounting bolt was not a problem and jacking the subframe back into place was not a problem at least if only 1 bolt is removed at a time.

I made a shipping container that fits a medium USPS "if it fits, it ships" box so hopefully we loose parts in the mail.

Warren

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Tool is en route to next renter Flynfish. Thank you very much Warren for posting your experience with the tool and the job itself, as well as creating a better shipping box for the tool. Updated the reservation list below.

Tool reservation list:
    1. Gravity
    2. warrenbrown
    3. Flynfish - current renter
    4. eric1ono
    5. bdiefAZ

My Cars
    2001 525iT
    Job complete yesterday, took roughly 3 hours with a little help from the wife, and a lunch break. Overall very easy, had I know that I would have done this a long time ago. My SFB's all had cracks and were useless. Noticeable difference now without the clunk. I was considering also replacing the rear shocks, but I think these are ok for now, however the front struts will be my next project now.

2 tips for those considering this project:
    1. Find a 24mm ratcheting wrench as others have mentioned, it will speed up the process a little.
    2. Having seen the bushing removed, and reading a lot of good feedback on the Meyle HD's, I am regretting going with the Lemforders and wish I'd have used the Meyle HD's.

However, regarding number 2 above, FCP had the Lemforder SFB's for about $34/ea, so it was too good to pass up.

I took a few pics and will update the write up in the coming days. M5Jed was also very responsive and helpful with a couple quick questions, so thanks for helping!!

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Hmmm, the mention of 24mm ratcheting tool missing is bothering me. I should have included one with the tool. It just makes more sense. I will shop around for a ratcheting box end wrench and ship it directly to the next renter. Thank you Flynfish for your feedback!

My Cars
    2001 525iT
    That would be a great add to the kit, a long socket can get about half way, but if you're using a standard floor jack and jack stands, you have to switch to an adjustable crescent wrench if you don't have the ratchet box end.

By the way, Warren did an amazing job building a nice wood case to ship the tool in... Should last the group for a LONG time as long as everyone takes care of it.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynfish View Post
    Job complete yesterday, took roughly 3 hours with a little help from the wife, and a lunch break. Overall very easy, had I know that I would have done this a long time ago. My SFB's all had cracks and were useless. Noticeable difference now without the clunk. I was considering also replacing the rear shocks, but I think these are ok for now, however the front struts will be my next project now.
    Your wife helps you w/ car projects!? Unpossible. ;^)

Good to hear another success. Its funny - we have had several n00b touring owners lately w rear end clunks and vibration and are reluctant to believe the RSFB story... but in almost every case of rear end noise and ride problems that's the issue. Unfortunately even super pro BMW Indy's will tell people those aren't a common problem IF they have not had specific experience w/ the Tour. My indy shop is the same way - I had to more or less insist they do them and hand-deliver the HD bushings myself (I only had them do it because the car was in for tranny removal anyway...)
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    03 525iT & 95 M3
    I'll be adding this to my project list for early august. Might as well get them done as the fronts were shot, I imagine the rears are as well.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Tool will be shipped out today by Flynfish to eric1ono. I picked up a nice 24mm ratcheting box end wrench yesterday and will ship that directly to eric1ono.

Tool reservation list:
    1. Gravity
    2. warrenbrown
    3. Flynfish
    4. eric1ono - current renter
    5. bdiefAZ

My Cars
    2001 525iT
    Jed PM or text me the address so I can get it shipped out tomorrow to Eric.

Geargrinder... She mows the lawn too... I had to get her to stop doing yard work so she could help get the sub frame bolts back in.

I've been around here for a while... bought the car in 08 with 84k on it, and planned on doing it then... just no time (so I thought) until now. Glad I did it, now I want to keep doing more fixes that have been on the list.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T

FOR RENT: Rear Subframe Bushing Remover/Installer Tool for E39 Sedan AND Tou...

Hey Matt, I did send you a PM of the next renter's info. Odd, maybe the PM monster ate it. Will text it to you shortly.
    Last edited by M5 Jed; 07-02-2014 at 12:09 AM.

My Cars
    85 M635, 98 Z3, 00 528iT
    Thanks for the update and for getting the wrench Jed.

Flynfsh, if you want, feel free to PM as well. I don't want to disrupt the process, but I do want to get my hands on the tool.

Thanks,

Eric

My Cars
    2001 525iT
    It shipped out today - I'll try to find the tracking number in the morning (wife shipped it). Coming via the postal box USPS. By the way, that is definitely the best way for shipping... if you don't use the flat rate box, it'll cost $60. I think we paid $15 or less insured with tracking.

My Cars
    2002 525iT
    pm'd Please add me to the list.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast