Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: FOR RENT: Rear Subframe Bushing Remover/Installer Tool for E39 Sedan AND Touring

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by sienayr View Post
    My job went pretty smooth. On the first one I did have trouble figuring out how to get the top of the jaws on the top edge of the carrier properly, and it wanted to walk down the carrier. Marred it a little bit but nothing big. I finally figured out how it needed to fit and got it locked on tight and had no further issues (felt kind of stupid after I got it right, it's pretty simple). The rest went smooth. 3 out of 4 of mine had no fluid, I could hear fluid inside one of them when I shook it. However, I honestly can't report a huge difference in ride quality. Maybe slight less shock when going over big bumps. I also did not have any pronounced clunking or noises before replacement as some have described, so it was more a pro-active replacement. I used Meyle HD bushing. I'm at 135K miles on an '03.
    I'm betting that the one you heard fluid in was likely the bad one and that the others hadn't lost any fluid yet. You shouldn't be able to hear the fluid when it's new, so if you hear it sloshing around, more than likely it's lost some fluid and made room for air that allows sloshing. You could also try weighing them separately and see if the one you heard fluid in is lighter than the others. It's possible that you only had one bad one and that is why you don't notice much of a difference. That said though, you would probably have had the others fail soon if you hadn't replaced them. I also feel like the Meyle HD bushings feel stiffer than the original fluid filled ones, and I'm actually not overly happy with them, even though they may last longer than the OE ones. I had blown bushings before I replaced all of mine with Meyle HD and even with the uncontrolled clunking back there, it still rode much smoother and more comfortable with the old bushings. I feel like I should have gone with new Lemforders instead.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    I'm betting that the one you heard fluid in was likely the bad one and that the others hadn't lost any fluid yet. You shouldn't be able to hear the fluid when it's new, so if you hear it sloshing around, more than likely it's lost some fluid and made room for air that allows sloshing. You could also try weighing them separately and see if the one you heard fluid in is lighter than the others. It's possible that you only had one bad one and that is why you don't notice much of a difference.
    Good thoughts, thanks. I still have them so I might try the weighing thing. I didn't keep track of which was which, but I know that at least one was shot as a while back there was fluid leakage on the floor under the shock on the driver's side. I couldn't figure out what it was at first, and then realized one of the bushings had cracked open and leaked the fluid out. I could also see the blow back on the shock and such where it had been leaking out while driving.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Updating the reservation list. Tool is with FlyOverCountry now.

1. ncj20
    2. FlyOverCountry - current renter
    3. BikerMikeE39T

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by sienayr View Post
    Good thoughts, thanks. I still have them so I might try the weighing thing. I didn't keep track of which was which, but I know that at least one was shot as a while back there was fluid leakage on the floor under the shock on the driver's side. I couldn't figure out what it was at first, and then realized one of the bushings had cracked open and leaked the fluid out. I could also see the blow back on the shock and such where it had been leaking out while driving.
    When I did mine back in September I found two references to what new OEM bushings weigh: 67.2 - 67.5 ounces. All four of mine were shot and weighed 60.4, 60.8, 60.6, and 60.7 oz. This amounts to a loss of about 7 oz each (presumably the oil), which I believe is consistent with what I've read elsewhere.

For the record, mine were cracked and void of oil. I replaced with Meyle HD and the ride quality is SIGNIFICANTLY improved.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Does anyone know if you completely drop the rear sub-frame, can you remove and install the sub-frame and differential bushings using a hydraulic press or do you have to use the bushing removal tool?

My Cars
    85 e24 M635, 02 540it,
    I'm sure you can drop the subframe if you wanted to. It would be alot more work.

You would have to disconnect the diff and exhaust.

I just finished my bushings with the tool in about 2hrs. You just lower one side at a time.

It just saves time.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Yes, I know it would be a lot more work, but I am doing a complete rear suspension rebuild. Subframe bushings, differential bushings front and rear, ball joints, control arms, sway bar bushings, end links, and I am re-sealing a leaking differential. I believe the easiest way to get all this done is to drop it and get it all out from under the car to work on it. I don't have a lift so I'm doing it all on a garage floor. So back to the original question, if I drop everything out and dismantle everything, do I have to have a bushing tool to get the bushings out or could I use my hydraulic press to remove them?

My Cars
    85 e24 M635, 02 540it,
    Yes!, you can push them out if you have the correct size races to do so and the ability to keep the whole sub-frame up to your press.

But it takes about 30mins a bushing with the tool. Remove and install.

Even with a press, I think the tool would be faster and easier.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know how it goes dropping the subframe and using the press.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Dropping the subframe is an all day job. I've done it several times since I reinforce the front diff mount as well. The tool lets you replace the bushings in 2-3 hours tops.

My Cars
    2000 528iT MT
    Hi All,
    I've bought my bushings, they're in the garage and ready to be installed. Can you add me to the rental list? Thanks!

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Hi,

The tool is on its way to CT at the moment and will be available to ship out by end of the week to you. You can be the next person in line to rent it. I'll send you a PM to set up the rental.

My Cars
    2000 528iT MT
    Hi,
    Any updates on the tool? I've PM-ed M5 Jed, but haven't heard anything in a while.

Thanks.

My Cars
    2000 528iT MT

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by M5 Jed View Post
    Hi,

The tool is on its way to CT at the moment and will be available to ship out by end of the week to you. You can be the next person in line to rent it. I'll send you a PM to set up the rental.
    Hello?... Bueller?

My Cars
    2002 E39 M5
    I'd like to be added to the list for the tool please.
    Thank you, Eric.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T

FOR RENT: Rear Subframe Bushing Remover/Installer Tool for E39 Sedan AND Touring

Starting a new reservation list for the tool. Tool is currently en route to member evilrho.

1. evilrho - current renter
    2. billh
    3. eawM5
    4. zink
    Last edited by M5 Jed; 04-19-2017 at 04:07 PM.

My Cars
    E38 2001 m; 99528iT sprt
    Hi, can you add me to the list? tks.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Updating the reservation list.

1. evilrho - current renter
    2. eawM5
    3. zink

My Cars
    E38 2001 m; 99528iT sprt
    thanks.

My Cars
    '01 525iTa
    I'd like to get on the rental list. I just placed my order today, I should have the bushings by the time I get the tool.

My Cars
    2000 528iT MT
    Thanks to Jed for the tool.
    The job went pretty smooth. I had to remove the 13mm nut supporting the rear muffler to allow the driver's side of the subframe to drop sufficiently. Also, keep an eye on the wires going to the self-leveling sensors. Some disconnect this. I didn't have to, but it was close.

The forward bushings were the worst. 115k miles on these guys. Things are much better now!

2017-04-22 17.36.42.jpg

My Cars
    E38 2001 m; 99528iT sprt
    wow, pretty bad in those pics; so where you able to use the tool without the threaded bolts ? did you just loose the bushing bolts, lift the differential a little and get it in place? also do we have to take off the rear tires or can we just leave it on ramps? thanks

My Cars
    2000 528iT MT
    Not sure what you're referring to. The threaded bolts on the tool? PM me and I can give you more pics, etc.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by evilrho View Post
    Thanks to Jed for the tool.
    The job went pretty smooth. I had to remove the 13mm nut supporting the rear muffler to allow the driver's side of the subframe to drop sufficiently. Also, keep an eye on the wires going to the self-leveling sensors. Some disconnect this. I didn't have to, but it was close.

The forward bushings were the worst. 115k miles on these guys. Things are much better now!

2017-04-22 17.36.42.jpg
    Yes, that picture looks very similar to mine with 107k. The improvement in the ride was huge. I'd recommend that anyone still riding on the originals definitely consider replacement. Using the proper tool makes the job pretty easy. I'd like to add that even if your touring doesn't have self leveling suspension, there is another level sensor for self-leveling xenons back there too that you must be careful with.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Updating the reservation list.

1. evilrho
    2. eawM5 - current renter
    3. zink
    4. Rusting

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast