Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: FOR RENT: Rear Subframe Bushing Remover/Installer Tool for E39 Sedan AND Touring

My Cars
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by M5 Jed View Post
    Pardon the misspelling on the member's names. I've tried to edit and correct but the app just keeps telling me of an error on the edit.
    LOL. You typed my Dad's name instead of mine.

All good.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Updating the reservation list for the tool:

1. madisonbob
    2. JWhitehead
    3. jp5touring
    4. CCE46M3

The tool is currently with member madisonbob.

My Cars
    318ti; 528it
    I need to get on the list. Please pm me with details.
    - 95 540i/6 ... RIP
    - 98 318ti/5 - daily
    - 99 528it/A - family wagon
    - 71 240z - project/headache

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T

1. madisonbob - current renter
    2. JWhitehead
    3. jp5touring
    4. CCE46M3
    5. theczechone

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by theczechone View Post
    I need to get on the list. Please pm me with details.
    Will PM you shortly.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T

The tool will be en route to jp5touring tomorrow.

1. madisonbob
    2. JWhitehead
    3. jp5touring - current renter
    4. CCE46M3
    5. theczechone

My Cars
    E39t, E30, E60, E10
    When using the M5 torsion bars to link the front of the rear subframe to the trans tunnel, which front subframe bushings do you use? M5 or 540?
    Bob
    2003 540 M-Sport Touring
    2008 528i
    1991 318is
    1976 2002

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T

FOR RENT: Rear Subframe Bushing Remover/Installer Tool for E39 Sedan AND Touring

You will need to use the M5 rear subframe bushings on the forward mounts. To be more clear, you need to use the sedan bushing which is shorter than the touring subframe bushing.
    Last edited by M5 Jed; 04-18-2016 at 09:39 AM.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Jed, received the tool today. Plan install Friday after work or Saturday a.m. Should be able to ship out Monday I hope.
    Thx,

My Cars
    1999 528 iT
    Hello, new to the forum and need to get on the E39 wagon subframe tool list Can you add me please, hoping to have the tool mid to late May if possible ?

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T

1. madisonbob
    2. JWhitehead
    4. CCE46M3
    5. racingjeff

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by racingjeff View Post
    Hello, new to the forum and need to get on the E39 wagon subframe tool list Can you add me please, hoping to have the tool mid to late May if possible ?
    As far as I can see, the tool will be available for you mid to late May.

My Cars
    2000 528it
    can you add me to the list as well? also, do we need the rubber bushing emulsion fluid or is that in the kit?

thanks!

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rpM View Post
    can you add me to the list as well? also, do we need the rubber bushing emulsion fluid or is that in the kit?

thanks!
    bring your own

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    bring your own
    Lol!

WD40 will work just as well as the rubber unicorn fluid.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T

1. madisonbob
    2. JWhitehead
    4. CCE46M3
    5. racingjeff
    6. rpM

My Cars
    2000 528it
    Quote Originally Posted by M5 Jed View Post
    Lol!

WD40 will work just as well as the rubber unicorn fluid.
    haha, thanks guys.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Just finished doing my Meyle HD sub frame bushings. The tool worked really well.
    I used a little pb blaster to help with removal and used bar soap and water to install them went pretty easy.
    I'm surprised on how much better the ride has improved.Well worth the effort to install.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T

Tool is currently with CCE46M3.

1. madisonbob
    2. JWhitehead
    3. jp5touring
    4. CCE46M3 - current renter
    5. racingjeff
    6. rpM

My Cars
    2003 525iT
    Please add me to the list

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T

1. madisonbob
    2. JWhitehead
    3. jp5touring
    5. racingjeff
    6. rpM
    7. slickrock22

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T

1. madisonbob
    2. JWhitehead
    3. jp5touring
    5. rpM
    6. slickrock2

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3
    The tools have been shipped out to the next renter. Praise M5 Jed for his contribution to the E39 community! Every E39 touring should change out the subframe mounts/bushings before anything else. I replaced the OEM shocks/struts with the Bilstein HD 2 years ago. I will say the handling in corners improved a lot but ride comfort only improved marginally, maybe 20% when the car run over road cracks. After changing the subframe mounts, the comfort improved 10 times! I can't believe the difference because upon visual inspection, the two rear mounts didn't look too bad at all from underneath the car.

As I was reading post #4 about removing 2 bolts at the same time and wondered a while which 2 I should remove. I finally figured I should remove either the driver/passenger side as pair for the subframe to drop side way. I also found that having someone to help push the tire forward to line up the hole will make the installation much easier.

I suggest including a simple diy procedure to #1 post to help people renting the tool in the future. Here is a draft of it:

Tools and parts needed: New Subframe Mounts (4), this rental tool set, Floor Jack, Jack Stands, Wheel Chocks, (1) 12mm wrench, 21mm socket and socket wrench, 1/2in Torque Wrench, (1) phillips screw driver to open up the box, Grease (Multipurpose/Hi-Temp/General/Bearing etc), Windex or Soap Water Mix.

0. Open the tool box. Inspect all pieces of the tool kit and read the instruction card. Ask M5 Jed if there are any questions or concerns.
    1. Find a level ground.
    2. Jack the diff off the ground about 18-20 inches using the diff housing (Avoid touching the diff rear end cover, place the jack an inch or so forward from the back). The higher the car, the easier to use the tool later but make sure your front bumper don't hit the ground.
    2. Place jack stands at the rear jack points near the rear wheels.
    3. Remove the jack and let the car sit on the jack stand. Place wheel chokes in front of front wheels. Check stability of the car. Don't go underneath if the car isn't stable.
    4. Jack the diff up again and have the factory jack point pads barely touching the jack stands. The idea is to support most of the weight by the floor jack at this point.
    5. Unclip the plastic holder of the slash guards. Loosen all four subframe mount bolts for about 2 inches using the 21mm socket.
    6. Lower the jack and let the diff drop with about 0.5 inches left on the bolts.
    7. Remove the 2 driver side bolts (front and rear) then lower the jack enough so there is enough room to install the tool on the top side.
    8. Spray lubrication fluid (PB blaster, 50/50 mix of acetone&power steering fluid, etc) at the top and bottom edges of the subframe mounts.
    9. Install tool per instruction card for mount removal. Make sure the long stud is clean and greased up before use.
    10. Remove both mounts on the driver's side with a 12mm wrench and the supplied 24mm wrench. Wait a few seconds for the mounts to deform back to shape if the nut is too tight to turn.
    10. Once the driver's side mounts are removed, take a few minutes to clean the surrounding subframe carrier.
    11. Spray lubrication fluid (windex, etc) on the new mounts and inner surface of the subframe carrier cylinder. Install tool per instruction card for mount installation.
    12. Line up the arrows on top of the new mount to the front and back of the car (longitudinal). Install the new mounts.
    13. Jack the diff and bring the subframe mounts up near the chassis mounting holes.
    14. Install the subframe mount bolts and plates while having someone to help push the rear wheel to line up the assembly.
    15. Repeat Steps 7-14 for the passenger side mounts.
    16. Tighten all 4 bolts and torque them to 140Nm or 103 lb-ft.
    17. Reinstall the plastic clips.
    18. Make sure nothing is around underneath the car then jack up the diff high enough to remove the jack stand.
    19. Lower the car, remove the wheel chocks and go for a test drive.
    20. Clean all components inside the tool box, put them back where they should be including the instruction card. Ship it to the next guy by USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Medium Box.
    21. Notify M5 Jed with tracking number.

Hope this will help someone in the future.

Cheers!

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T

Tool is currently with rpM

1. madisonbob
    2. JWhitehead
    3. jp5touring
    4. CCE46M3
    5. rpM - current renter
    6. slickrock2

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by CCE46M3 View Post
    The tools have been shipped out to the next renter. Praise M5 Jed for his contribution to the E39 community! Every E39 touring should change out the subframe mounts/bushings before anything else. I replaced the OEM shocks/struts with the Bilstein HD 2 years ago. I will say the handling in corners improved a lot but ride comfort only improved marginally, maybe 20% when the car run over road cracks. After changing the subframe mounts, the comfort improved 10 times! I can't believe the difference because upon visual inspection, the two rear mounts didn't look too bad at all from underneath the car.

As I was reading post #4 about removing 2 bolts at the same time and wondered a while which 2 I should remove. I finally figured I should remove either the driver/passenger side as pair for the subframe to drop side way. I also found that having someone to help push the tire forward to line up the hole will make the installation much easier.

I suggest including a simple diy procedure to #1 post to help people renting the tool in the future. Here is a draft of it:

Tools and parts needed: New Subframe Mounts (4), this rental tool set, Floor Jack, Jack Stands, Wheel Chocks, (1) 12mm wrench, 21mm socket and socket wrench, 1/2in Torque Wrench, (1) phillips screw driver to open up the box, Grease (Multipurpose/Hi-Temp/General/Bearing etc), Windex or Soap Water Mix.

0. Open the tool box. Inspect all pieces of the tool kit and read the instruction card. Ask M5 Jed if there are any questions or concerns.
    1. Find a level ground.
    2. Jack the diff off the ground about 18-20 inches using the diff housing (Avoid touching the diff rear end cover, place the jack an inch or so forward from the back). The higher the car, the easier to use the tool later but make sure your front bumper don't hit the ground.
    2. Place jack stands at the rear jack points near the rear wheels.
    3. Remove the jack and let the car sit on the jack stand. Place wheel chokes in front of front wheels. Check stability of the car. Don't go underneath if the car isn't stable.
    4. Jack the diff up again and have the factory jack point pads barely touching the jack stands. The idea is to support most of the weight by the floor jack at this point.
    5. Unclip the plastic holder of the slash guards. Loosen all four subframe mount bolts for about 2 inches using the 21mm socket.
    6. Lower the jack and let the diff drop with about 0.5 inches left on the bolts.
    7. Remove the 2 driver side bolts (front and rear) then lower the jack enough so there is enough room to install the tool on the top side.
    8. Spray lubrication fluid (PB blaster, 50/50 mix of acetone&power steering fluid, etc) at the top and bottom edges of the subframe mounts.
    9. Install tool per instruction card for mount removal. Make sure the long stud is clean and greased up before use.
    10. Remove both mounts on the driver's side with a 12mm wrench and the supplied 24mm wrench. Wait a few seconds for the mounts to deform back to shape if the nut is too tight to turn.
    10. Once the driver's side mounts are removed, take a few minutes to clean the surrounding subframe carrier.
    11. Spray lubrication fluid (windex, etc) on the new mounts and inner surface of the subframe carrier cylinder. Install tool per instruction card for mount installation.
    12. Line up the arrows on top of the new mount to the front and back of the car (longitudinal). Install the new mounts.
    13. Jack the diff and bring the subframe mounts up near the chassis mounting holes.
    14. Install the subframe mount bolts and plates while having someone to help push the rear wheel to line up the assembly.
    15. Repeat Steps 7-14 for the passenger side mounts.
    16. Tighten all 4 bolts and torque them to 140Nm or 103 lb-ft.
    17. Reinstall the plastic clips.
    18. Make sure nothing is around underneath the car then jack up the diff high enough to remove the jack stand.
    19. Lower the car, remove the wheel chocks and go for a test drive.
    20. Clean all components inside the tool box, put them back where they should be including the instruction card. Ship it to the next guy by USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Medium Box.
    21. Notify M5 Jed with tracking number.

Hope this will help someone in the future.

Cheers!
    Fantastic write up Chris! Thank you for this. I'll post it to the front of the thread. Always useful and helpful to improve processes. Will also plan to build a new box, the original one is starting to fall apart and has made its way around the country for a couple of years now.

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast