Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Up before six

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Quote Originally Posted by CD05001CIA View Post
    ...what is the objective?...
    For me, it's just a hobby, the electronics equivalent of shade-tree wrenching.
    For you, a V8 e31 owner, the ability to keep your car on the road long after the engine's expiration date.
    This box provides an easy path to the M62TUB44, commonly available at salvage.
    Given a little more daylight, I'd do a TUB44 -> '95 840, DME 3.3 iirc, and report the dyno and telemetry.

Quote Originally Posted by CD05001CIA View Post
    ... S62...
    The shiny object, literally overvalued.
    Adds vanos to the exhaust cams AND the vanos hydraulics are a push-pull arrangement to facilitate the return to retard.
    All total there are 8 vanos valves to PWM rather than just the 2 on M62TU.
    Add in another 10 or so channels for thermostat mapping, sump management, air injection, etc.
    This complexity is a challenge for an under capitalized hobbyist limited to off-the-shelf, discrete components.

I could do an adapter but I have no personal interest and, strange, no one has offered to pay me.
    This is convenient because there is a slight effort required to turn people down.

Btw, over in the other corners of my benchtop are full DME's.
    One is plug compatible Ford EEC-IV, the other is plug compatible MBZ CIS aka Jetronic KE.
    Again, just shade-tree electronics.

My Cars
    850CI740Lsezd750L95sezd
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
    For me, it's just a hobby, the electronics equivalent of shade-tree wrenching.
    For you, a V8 e31 owner, the ability to keep your car on the road long after the engine's expiration date.
    This box provides an easy path to the M62TUB44, commonly available at salvage.
    Given a little more daylight, I'd do a TUB44 -> '95 840, DME 3.3 iirc, and report the dyno and telemetry.

The shiny object, literally overvalued.
    Adds vanos to the exhaust cams AND the vanos hydraulics are a push-pull arrangement to facilitate the return to retard.
    All total there are 8 vanos valves to PWM rather than just the 2 on M62TU.
    Add in another 10 or so channels for thermostat mapping, sump management, air injection, etc.
    This complexity is a challenge for an under capitalized hobbyist limited to off-the-shelf, discrete components.

I could do an adapter but I have no personal interest and, strange, no one has offered to pay me.
    This is convenient because there is a slight effort required to turn people down.

Btw, over in the other corners of my benchtop are full DME's.
    One is plug compatible Ford EEC-IV, the other is plug compatible MBZ CIS aka Jetronic KE.
    Again, just shade-tree electronics.

Well... you've got one helluva 'shade-tree' !

CD05001 is an M73 V12 5.4 liter w/5HP30.

If I had my druthers and funding I would collect up late model US 840CI's '95 to '97 and convert them to M73 V12's. IFF (If and only if) funding appears I would like to EMPLOY!!! (on a consulting basis) you to assist getting from point A [ '95 to '97 - 840 ] to point B [ M73 V12 ]

This, of course, is after those who own M73 V12 850ci's are " I'M NOT SELLING IT. "

The funding part won't be settled until June of 2022. I hope you'll still be lurking around this message board then.

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    So the original ETV box, during the vanos engine retrofit, was cabled into an off-the-shelf character display in the cabin center console.
    Subsequently, a USB connection was developed, to plug into to say a laptop running a desktop app.
    Now wireless is in the works, allowing me to get data and flash updates, link to my MID which also got Bluetooth'd.
    I'll be wandering around with a 5 year old netbook running XP, but in theory it could be a phone app.
    I thought I was being clever but someone who gets out more, points out that all modern cars do this already.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Cool project ETV seems clever.

No news?
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    '97 840CI

Battle of the MID way

It was decided to pull Hyperdrive-MID out of a 5-year sleep so as to evolve an ETV output device that is brighter and doesn't sacrifice the radio slot.
    MID rev A was actually in great shape and is now behaving very MID'y, shown below driving E36 OBC glass.

A thread will be posted someday. >> Done: "Battle of the MID way".

It's actually the same code base across all Hyperdrive boxes, so developing MID also develops the same capabilities in ETV.
    Things like code download, parameter editing, data logging.

ETV outputs to Ibus, and therefore H-MID can now display ETV stuff within the service menu and by exercising stalk options.
    After MID is further squared away, adding Bluetooth, then back to ETV specific features like PID algorithms, to operate the vanos.
    ETV competes with a (codename CEFIG) ecm for priority, as MID also unsticks that project.

Character display during swap dev.
    Displaces radio, hard to read in sunlight.
    Last edited by Hyper; 09-01-2023 at 08:11 PM.

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
    It was decided to pull Hyperdrive-MID out of a 5-year sleep so as to evolve an ETV output device that is brighter and doesn't sacrifice the radio slot.
    MID rev A was actually in great shape and is now behaving very MID'y, shown below driving E36 OBC glass.
    A thread will be posted someday.

It's actually the same code base across all Hyperdrive boxes, so developing MID also develops the same capabilities in ETV.
    Things like code download, parameter editing, data logging.

ETV outputs to Ibus, and therefore H-MID can now display ETV stuff within the service menu and by exercising stalk options.
    After MID is further squared away, adding Bluetooth, then back to ETV specific features like PID algorithms, to operate the vanos.
    ETV competes with a (codename CEFIG) ecm for priority, as MID also unsticks that project.

Looking forward to it.

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Quote Originally Posted by tvjake2 View Post
    Looking forward to it.
    {Ed: MID thread now avail at "Battle of the MID way"}

Too polite.
    What every wants to know is "Where is my over-the-air INPA?"
    Well, it was meant to show up in rev B, but long-short something got seriously messed up.
    As was on rev B, the local processor and modem were in mortal combat.
    Basically, I was assuming the Bluetooth modem was a slave to the local processor, but it was actually an extension of the over-the-air (Windows) host.

This was GoodNews-BadNews.
    GoodNews because, as long as Hyper-MID (revC) decides to get out of the way and treat the modem as and extension of the host, INPA is free to do whatever it does.

Last edited by Hyper; 09-01-2023 at 08:15 PM.

My Cars
    BMW E39 530i Sport
    Just found your thread as I was looking to do the same. But sadly all the pictures are gone for me to refer to.

Is it possible to restore the picture links?

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    The links are visible to me and others.
    Try a different computer or browser.
    You're looking for a system that allows the older, unsecured "http" links I'm forced into using, rather than the more modern https.
    Could also be that you can temporarily configure the security level on your existing system.

*** edit
    ... or it could be blocked by a router in the network.

Fyi, when I travel in China, the entire BF site is off limits along with most western news services.

Plan Z, get with me over email and I'll find or put together a PDF.
    Last edited by Hyper; 02-11-2024 at 03:43 PM.

My Cars
    BMW E39 530i Sport
    Not on a computer, I'm on my Samsung S22 Ultra phone. Tried Chrome and the Samsung browser, both doesnt show pictures.

Can you email me at ....... please if you can
    Last edited by shogun; 02-11-2024 at 05:58 PM. Reason: email removed for privacy reasons

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    You now have the PDF.
    Since it originated as a Win Doc, I was able to apply layout tools making it a lot more polished than the web version.

In researching your emailed question about the TU46 valve cover, I came across a lot of content that never made it to the thread.
    Details regarding the conversion, with part numbers, etc.
    Needs still more time to clean up, develop.
    I suppose I'll post the content to this thread also.

My Cars
    BMW E39 530i Sport
    Nice, any additional info would be much appreciated.

I'm not totally new to the whole thing tho, I have a 4.8L B10 V8S engine already converted to my E39 530i 5 years ago and been running fine. I also have my own shop and has replaced an E39 540i engine with an engine from an E53 so I know a bit about the bottom bit swaps. Although I didnt notice the PCV thing (my mechanic did the work, I'm just the shop owner)

Now I have an E31 850i which already converted to M60B40, but got the itch and in the process of acquiring another M62TUB46 from an 4.6is.

Also, I may have access to a B48 crankshaft, oil pump and oil sump from another broken V8S. So I might to a 4.6 to 4.8 conversion too. In my brief read up I think I can keep the 4.6 head and cams but when I looked at the Alpina V8/V8S parts catalogue, some part numbers are different. I'm still reading uo and getting my head wrapped around it all

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Quote Originally Posted by johnate View Post
    ... B48 crankshaft...
    The crank (11210300284) was in the BMW catalog for a long time, starting at $2700, inflating to $3500, or double what I paid for the B46.
    I never had the time for that indulgence, and the crank has now gone NLA just recently.

I figured the step up from B46 to B48 is not as useful as the step from B44 fixed cam to B46 vanos.
    That factored into my lack of action.

I had hazard a guess that the B46 can share everything except the shorter rods from the S62 to match the longer stroke (89 vs 85mm).
    You'll want to compare part numbers from the e52 auto rather than the Alpina which was an earlier, outside effort, perhaps leading to unofficial part numbers.

*** edit
    I was contemplating Carrillo rods in place of S62's, at $2K.
    Total cost of the B48 make-over -> ~$6K-$7K.

*** edit
    Continuing on with priorities higher than +0.2L...

• Correct fuel metering
    • Modern transmission and a pleasant controller
    • Integrity checks, fault reporting

*** edit
    Extrapolating from the e31/B46/ETV, actual dyno and road numbers found in post #1...

• Torque would increase 6% from measured 335 up to ~355 lb-ft. (480 Nm)
    • HP would increase from calc'd 327 to 345 bhp.
    • 0-60 would decrease from measured 5.96 seconds to around 5.75 at best.

Ed: Had to look up when I was last in Kuala Lumpur.

See what I did there.
    Oh right, you can't, so my joke is wasted.
    The year was 2011, and I'm overdue for a repeat.
    Last edited by Hyper; 02-18-2024 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Insert joke

My Cars
    BMW E39 530i Sport
    By E52 Auto you mean the Z8?

I think the M62TUB48 was only installed in Alpina B10 V8S and Alpina Roadster V8 (Z8) which are both Alpina reincarnations, rather than BMW internal efforts

My Cars
    BMW E39 530i Sport
    If you do come here, give me a buzz!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123