Thread: will e36 coiovers fit z3

My Cars
    1996 Z3

will e36 coiovers fit z3

I heard a lot of different things. I found a set of e36 coil overs for sale from someone. I heard that the z3 setup is not the same as the e36 because the rear end is from a e30. Ive also hear that they are compatible. Ive been looking at pictures and haven't really been able to the tell the difference. Does anyone know if e36 rear coilovers/or struts will fit the z3 at all?

Thanks in advanced.

BMW Z3 1.9/Lexus is250 / Audi A8L - Sold/1997 Honda Prelude Sold/Celica GTS/2000 ML430/1992 Mr2 Turbo- spontaneous combustion

My Cars
    Z3 3.0
    They may fit physically, but the rear springs for e36 are taller and may not even be stock height when fully lowered. E36 front I am not so sure.
    -Dustin

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L
    E36 front will work but rear will not. E36 Coils are generally a pass

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    I'd have to dig through the forum but I did this research years ago and I'm 99% sure they will not fit. You can use M roadster coilovers on a non-M though.

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    1996 Z3
    Thanks a lot guys. Just to be sure will e30 rear coil overs fit properly? I will try to get them anyways and do a test fit to update the thread.

BMW Z3 1.9/Lexus is250 / Audi A8L - Sold/1997 Honda Prelude Sold/Celica GTS/2000 ML430/1992 Mr2 Turbo- spontaneous combustion

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Quote Originally Posted by cocosultan View Post
    Does anyone know if e36 rear coilovers/or struts will fit the z3 at all?
    Fronts- Yes
    Rears- No

Quote Originally Posted by cocosultan View Post
    Just to be sure will e30 rear coil overs fit properly?
    Fronts- No
    Rears- Yes

Previous E36 owner, rears are larger (read taller) from E36's so a CO setup from one will be stock, if not higher when installed on a Z3.

My Cars
    Millenium Falcon
    Wow, this has been beat to death so many time, I'm surprised to see so many conflicting replies in here.

From someone who has done it, YES, they will fit! As you have a non-M, the fronts are 100% direct bolt-on. Rears also bolt on but are roughly 2" longer than what would normally be offered for our E30 rear. That said, the E36 coilovers I ran (DDM Tuning) went plenty low in the rear, no issues, no modifications needed. I did eventually make extended shock mounts and swap in shorter springs to go lower, but that was crazy, stupid low height.

This is on 205/40/17 tires, with the rears at their lowest setting:

My Cars
    02 E36/8
    Thats about as low as most people go anyways.

Why hasnt anyone said that you can use e36 coilovers, and just sell the rear shocks and pick up some e30/e36 compact/ z3 shocks.

Im sure the e36 rear shocks would be easy to unload

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Kyle, had you purchased the correct rear setup for your car, wouldn't you expect to see more compression travel available at the same ride height?

Quote Originally Posted by ZoO View Post
    Why hasnt anyone said that you can use e36 coilovers, and just sell the rear shocks and pick up some e30/e36 compact/ z3 shocks.
    Because the springs are different too right? And why buy the wrong setup when the right setup is basically the same price?
    (I assume you're not actually talking about true coilovers in the rear. If so, see my comment to Kyle above.)
    Last edited by BenFenner; 05-15-2014 at 03:34 PM.

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    Kyle -- yes you can compress a shock to bolt up on top and then bolt onto the lower control arm, BUT, to compress the shock on you are taking away shock travel which really diminishes it's ability to function. Secondly, why Ground Control makes nearly identical extended shock mounts such as what you used, my discussions with Bimmerworld is that they were less than optimal in function since there is side deflection which is amplified onto the extended shaft which they recommended against using.

The absolute #1 reason why coilover sets which are correctly fitted to the Z3/E30 tend to be more than sets for the E36 is the rear shock needing to be so short to allow for full shock travel. The companies that don't address this are doing out of cost savings not performance. The ones that actually do adapt a shock (JRZ, MCS, AST, just to name a few) typically disclose they are taking a beating on profit margins making sets for Z3's or they price accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Anderson View Post
    Wow, this has been beat to death so many time, I'm surprised to see so many conflicting replies in here.

From someone who has done it, YES, they will fit! As you have a non-M, the fronts are 100% direct bolt-on. Rears also bolt on but are roughly 2" longer than what would normally be offered for our E30 rear. That said, the E36 coilovers I ran (DDM Tuning) went plenty low in the rear, no issues, no modifications needed. I did eventually make extended shock mounts and swap in shorter springs to go lower, but that was crazy, stupid low height.

This is on 205/40/17 tires, with the rears at their lowest setting:
    Last edited by z3papa; 05-15-2014 at 03:23 PM.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    99 z3 2.8 coupe
    Same here using e36 coilovers , no problems

My Cars
    Millenium Falcon
    Quote Originally Posted by BenFenner View Post
    Kyle, had you purchased the correct rear setup for your car, wouldn't you expect to see more compression travel available at the same ride height?

Because the springs are different too right? And why buy the wrong setup when the right setup is basically the same price?
    (I assume you're not actually talking about true coilovers in the rear. If so, see my comment to Kyle above.)
    There would be more available travel, but it's not necessary. Heck, this isn't even bottomed out on stock Z3 shocks, which would be comparable to the length of an E36 coilover shocks. There's probably another 1" left:

You'll never reach the limits of the shocks at any sane ride height. If you're really worried about it, just buy a pair a Z3 shorter shocks and sell the E36 ones.

As for the springs, as long as it's an appropriate spring rate, and the length works for your desired height, it's no issue.

The reason to buy E36 coilovers is the availability of quality used parts. Z3 owners tend to charge an arm and a leg for their used coilovers, while similar E36 setups fetch much lower prices. The fronts are the expensive part, and the E36 is identical. Any issues with the rears are inexpensive and easy to correct. You can save a lot going this route.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    If you're wanting to make them work, these would probably be helpful to get a little more shock travel.
    http://www.ground-control-store.com/...hp/II=851/CA=6

My Cars
    1996 Z3
    Wow, this is awesome, thanks everyone. Im going to get the e36 coilovers then ill post pics of how they are.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.5
    Hey! so I know I'm pretty late on the thread. I recently installed e36 coils on my 2000 2.3 and the rear just isn't as low as i would like. You mentioned that you used extended shock mounts, did you have to custom make them or are they something i can buy?

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronrod View Post
    Hey! so I know I'm pretty late on the thread. I recently installed e36 coils on my 2000 2.3 and the rear just isn't as low as i would like. You mentioned that you used extended shock mounts, did you have to custom make them or are they something i can buy?
    http://www.ground-control-store.com/...hp/II=851/CA=6
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronrod View Post
    In the rear the spring and the dampener are separate so not a true coilover if I’m understanding that right?

The spring controls the ride height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8

will e36 coiovers fit z3

I have the tc Kline sa kit. I’d like to go a bit lower in front and rear.

In the rear when the spring unloads completely it creates a gap on top. At full droop and with the spring set to the lowest setting you can take the spring out by hand. Little / no compression needed.

Are these (below) meant to help with that?

http://www.ground-control-store.com/...I%3D851/CA%3D6
    Last edited by solimans; 07-11-2020 at 11:55 PM.