Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another "4x4, ABS, Brake" Light Triad Question . . .

My Cars
    BMW
    Does any one why the ABS, brake and light come on and off when slowing down and when stop no light. I have change the rear sensors, brake pad and sensor, O ring in rear, transfer case gear and oil but the problem persist. Is not giving any code on scanning. Although I notice when reversing the back parking sensor beep funny and at time it beep even you are off the rear gear.

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    Quote Originally Posted by abid123 View Post
    Does any one why the ABS, brake and light come on and off when slowing down and when stop no light. I have change the rear sensors, brake pad and sensor, O ring in rear, transfer case gear and oil but the problem persist. Is not giving any code on scanning. Although I notice when reversing the back parking sensor beep funny and at time it beep even you are off the rear gear.
    It seems like the electrical is bugged out. I feel for you man. I still can't find why mine's doing what it's doing either.

So I replaced the right rear wheel abs wheel speed sensor and the problem got worse. Now the lights coming on is a good thing to see, let me explain. When all the lights are off, my abs goes nuts and activates every time I press the brake pedal. Not safe at all cause its not stopping how it should. After about five minutes of driving the computer shuts the abs off completely making it able to stop normally again. I'm guessing this narrows it done to a sensor/electrical issue but I'm not sure.

Anybody else experience this???

My Cars
    2007 X3
    I had the same issues with my 2007 X3. Also had the issue of dome lights coming on and off and no working cruise control. I paid for the diagnostic at a BMW dealership.
    It was the ignition switch. Once replaced, all yellow warning lights were gone and everything works.

My Cars
    2012 X3, 2007 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic81 View Post
    Alezxander - how did this work out for you?
    I'm having the same problem on my 2007 X3 with ~ 110,000 miles on it. Car has been in the shop for 2 weeks and the consensus seems to be that the transfer case is bad. They said the code indicates a bad actuator, but they can't bench test the actuator motor because it responds to a data command and not just 12V. Before taking it to the shop, I replaced the actuator gear that seems to be the problem in a majority of cases. Unfortunately that wasn't the problem - the old gear looked fine, but I replaced it anyway. The oil in the transfer case was replaced, and there were no indications of issues - no filings, etc, in it. The car runs fine, no grinding or pulling issues, so skeptical that the entire transfer case needs to be replaced.

Trying to figure how to triage this. Simple & cheap didn't work. Next step = replace actuator motor? Hate to go with replacing the transfer case when I can't be sure that the motor isn't the problem.

Any recommendations?
    Any thoughts to my problem? somewhere similar. 07 X3. Bought it this spring, no lights on the dash.. Come the first snow, I find that DSC and xDrive are out. Still, no lights on dash. I've replaced the TC motor, (even though my gear was good, it was suggested the sensor or something failed in the motor) run ISTA across everything and have the common issue of the TC motor, oil change etc, however even when probing with ISTA to test the dash lights for ABS and DSC they do not illuminate. I've looked thru fuses (the main 40A) fuse is good. I can read values FROM the TC actuator but I can't code it to the car due to a communication fault with the TCU (tried a spare there as well to ensure it worked.)

I've since had to replace it with a newer X3, and now need to repair & sell this one. I can't sell it in good faith knowing it has issues, and I'd have to give it away without fixing it. (new rotors, springs, tires)

I've yet to see any other post where the triad is NOT illuminated on the dash, and your xDrive/DSC are not active.

Thanks!

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328XI
    Im running through the same issue and I am actually trying to avoid taking the car to a dealership. I have a 2007 BMW 328XI and drove it for like 2 hrs with no issue. By the time I was arriving home when I was stopping at a red light my car made a weird noise when I was breaking (felt like something popped) and the car suddenly turned ON all the christmas lights - the brakes, abs and 4x4 lights on the dash and it was making a weird grinding noise like on the front tires area. I immediately went online searching for the right answers and ended up just wasting money I didnt have. I bought a brand new unbranded transfer case motor for like $150 on amazon. I went ahead and replaced the transfer case motor (which was very easy) and noticed the transfer case was leaking through the drain plug because it was loose. I fixed the issue and refilled the transfer case with fluid, test drove the car and once again... ding! ding! ding! - Brakes, ABS and 4x4 came on. Still having that same grinding noise in the front. The car drives perfect on the road, it shifts gears with no issues but that noise and the lights are driving me crazy. The last thing that I can think of is a busted wheel bearing and Im not sure if when something like that happens you get all this lights on too. If any one has gone through this same issue and can illuminate my nightmare with my car I will appreciate all the help I can get. I am a first time BMW owner and I really dont want to get rid of it because the car drives like nothing I have driven before and BTW I have already put like $2K on the motor and it will definitely suck if I have to get rid of it for cheap.
    Last edited by LuiSongo; 01-15-2021 at 01:27 PM.

My Cars
    03 540i, 04 X3, 00 328i
    Driving without a proper amount of transfer case fluid probably wasn't good for it, but I would first concentrate on where the grinding noise is coming from.
    Try lifting the front of wheels off the ground and rotate the front drive shaft to see if the same grinding is happening and where it is originating. Drive shaft and front axle joints are known to fail eventually.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123