Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another "4x4, ABS, Brake" Light Triad Question . . .

My Cars
    2008 X3, 2005 Subaru LGT
    Nope. They are all the same, forget the brand but they are contipro or somethingtires. Went to discount and had them check the depth which was within limits so I'm not sure. Don't wanna replace the actuator if it won't fix my issue but it's cheaper than new tires.

Sent from somewhere in Potatoland

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by CodyP View Post
    Nope. They are all the same, forget the brand but they are contipro or somethingtires. Went to discount and had them check the depth which was within limits so I'm not sure. Don't wanna replace the actuator if it won't fix my issue but it's cheaper than new tires.
    If you don't have any lights, what makes you think it's the actuator? Could it be an engine problem? An '08 has an N52 doesn't it.
    Current Garage:
    91 e34 M5 - spoiled & demanding 27 y/o -glanzshwarz
    91 850i/6 -another spoiled & demanding 27 y/o- schwarz-gone but never forgotten
    06 325i - undeserving, spoiled & demanding 27 y/o daughter's DD-hellrot
    03 MINI Cooper S JCW -spoiled & demanding, yet deserving wife's DD - Chili/Panther
    05 X3 3.0i -family workhorse - diamond schwarz
    12 X5 3.5d - torque monster - space gray metallic
    86 GMC Cabellero - Old Faithful 32 y/o DD BMW Support Vehicle
    08 Cub Cadet 19HP 46" hydrostatic- yard vehicle
    88 Schwinn Sierra - 1WD Off Road Vehicle
    e31 & OHC BMW CCA #385540

My Cars
    2008 X3, 2005 Subaru LGT
    BMW tech said they unplugged the actuator and it drive fine. Said it was either the actuator or transfer case

Sent from somewhere in Potatoland

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    I had this same problem on our 2005 X5 3.0i. Replacing the transfer case gear for $11 resolved the issue. I also did a drain and fill with BMW fluid in the transfer case while I was in there.

My Cars
    2005 X3; 2005 Z4
    Anyone know a good mechanic in the VA/MD/DC area who can r/r the motor gear? - I don't have the tools or lift to do it myself. Recently my X3 lights came on (do not stay on, they usually come on after driving for a little bit, but go away after the car cools). The dealer (BMW of Silver Spring) stated it is the Transfer Assembly, but they want to replace the entire unit at an extreme cost.

My Cars
    2007 X3

Another X3 with transfer case actuator issues

Quote Originally Posted by alezxander View Post
    Anyone know a good mechanic in the VA/MD/DC area who can r/r the motor gear? - I don't have the tools or lift to do it myself. Recently my X3 lights came on (do not stay on, they usually come on after driving for a little bit, but go away after the car cools). The dealer (BMW of Silver Spring) stated it is the Transfer Assembly, but they want to replace the entire unit at an extreme cost.
    Alezxander - how did this work out for you?
    I'm having the same problem on my 2007 X3 with ~ 110,000 miles on it. Car has been in the shop for 2 weeks and the consensus seems to be that the transfer case is bad. They said the code indicates a bad actuator, but they can't bench test the actuator motor because it responds to a data command and not just 12V. Before taking it to the shop, I replaced the actuator gear that seems to be the problem in a majority of cases. Unfortunately that wasn't the problem - the old gear looked fine, but I replaced it anyway. The oil in the transfer case was replaced, and there were no indications of issues - no filings, etc, in it. The car runs fine, no grinding or pulling issues, so skeptical that the entire transfer case needs to be replaced.

Trying to figure how to triage this. Simple & cheap didn't work. Next step = replace actuator motor? Hate to go with replacing the transfer case when I can't be sure that the motor isn't the problem.

Any recommendations?

My Cars
    2007 X3 M
    i repaired the gear on my wifes 2007 x3 with 144k on it about 10k and now it seems like it has gone again as I have the triad of lights and the clicking noise. Any idea of what could have caused it to break down so quickly? We at least got 50k+ out of the older one (we bough the car used)?

Thanks I am looking to fix again in 2 weeks

rob

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by rlefig View Post
    i repaired the gear on my wifes 2007 x3 with 144k on it about 10k and now it seems like it has gone again as I have the triad of lights and the clicking noise. Any idea of what could have caused it to break down so quickly? We at least got 50k+ out of the older one (we bough the car used)?

Thanks I am looking to fix again in 2 weeks

rob
    Take a look at post #25 of this thread regarding tires. Are your tires all identical and have they been properly rotated?
    Current Garage:
    03 MINI Cooper S JCW -spoiled & demanding, yet deserving wife's DD - Chili/Panther

My Cars
    BMW X3
    Hey my car just got the same light and it’s active weird. Can you give me that guy info so I can contact him. Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Denver61 View Post
    I know, I know, there's a mountain of posts on this issue. I've burned up my modem reading everything I can. Please bear with me.

Question: driving my 2006 X3 into work 2 weeks ago, I get the "triad" - ABS, 4x4, brake. Panic ensues. Luckily, my indy BMW guy is on the way so I wheel it in. He's a great guy and takes it right in. He starts the car and . . . no lights. Gone. Can't find anything. He runs the codes and nothing shows up immediately. He digs a little deeper and gets 2 fault codes: steering angle and transfer case motor fault. But the warning lights aren't on. Dashboard is clear.

He clears the codes and tells me I "might" have a problem but he's unsure. Tells me to drive it around and bring it back if the lights reappear. I've been driving it 2 weeks and the lights have stayed off. I did the "lock to lock" steering reset, but I do hear a tapping sound on shut off. Car seems to be running fine otherwise.

So the question is . . . if the lights stay off, am I OK? I mean, my BMW warning lights go on when I sneeze, so I'm assuming if the lights stay off, I'm good. But . . . I dunno.

Thoughts?

UPDATE: 2 weeks later the lights went on for good, accompanied by the equally infamous "ticking" sound from the transfer case. My indy was reluctant to replace the plastic gear in the motor and 2 others begged off off even after I e-mailed them the info and walk-thrus. Everybody wanted to sell me a new motor.
    Good news: Turns out there's a guy in Denver who specializes in this fix. Found him on Craigslist. Yeah, I know, it's risky business but . . . what the hell. Took it to him today. He took off the motor, showed me the plastic gear and it was totally shot.

Bottom line is that he cleaned out my transfer case motor and installed a new carbon fiber gear for $200.00. Was in and out in 90 minutes. No lights and no codes. Me happy. Got a one year warranty.

Saved me at least grand, probably more. If there's anybody in the Denver area with this issue let me know and I'll shoot you the info.

Hello my lights showed up too can I have that guy infor plz

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3
    Call Platinum Motor Sport in Denver. 303 388 0402. 830 S Locust St.

My Cars
    '06 BMW X3

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    I just purchased the gear as a PM! Thank you guys.
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ

My Cars
    04 BMW X3, 99 Miata
    I bought a used 2004 X3 about 16 months ago and was chasing the Triad around for months. Changed the gear on the transfer case actuator after changing all fluids (to include transmission and transfer case and differentials), and it didn't fix the problem. The old gear was in good shape. Mine acted like yours, it would come and go with no discernible pattern. Finally, I needed to do a brake job. So I pulled all of the speed sensors, cleaned the cavities, cleaned the sensors with electrical cleaner, reinstalled, and....voila. No triad in 3 months. Just another example of how tweaky BMWs are. I've replaced more components and sensors on this X3 in 16 months than I did on my former F150 in 16 years.

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    I replaced the transfer case gear on the 2006 X3 with 95k on it with the reinforced gear from ebay. There was noticeable wear on the gears, but not to the point of preventing function. The job took 3 hours including raising the X3, removing heat shields, repairing the motor and re-assembly.

This part would have failed in the future. Thank you all for posting this information.
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by bdiefAZ View Post
    I replaced the transfer case gear on the 2006 X3 with 95k on it with the reinforced gear from ebay. There was noticeable wear on the gears, but not to the point of preventing function. The job took 3 hours including raising the X3, removing heat shields, repairing the motor and re-assembly.

This part would have failed in the future. Thank you all for posting this information.
    Excellent!
    Current Garage:

My Cars
    2008 528xi
    Hey bud I’d really like to get that info if you still have it. I suspect my wife’s car has the same problem.

My Cars
    2009 bmw x3
    Hey! I also live in Denver and have the same issue. Matter of fact Ive had the 4x4 and Brake light on but the ABS turned on about a month or so after the first two. Could I have this guys information please?

My Cars
    2004 X3
    Just my two cents but I had the triad lights come on after a battery problem and swap on my 2004 X3.
    They stayed on for maybe 20 min until I stopped and have never reappeared since.
    This is just to say that the system apparently can be quite finicky...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMW
    my x3 2004 having the same problem the triad keep coming on and off. I goes complement when stopping. change the speed sensor , brake pad, brake sensor, tyres and the light still coming on but turn off when stop. any advise

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    I have a little bit of the same issue but not really. On the way to work this morning, Four lights came on. The ABS, Brake, 4x4, and Airbag light came on and stayed on, but ran and drove fine till. Honestly not really worried about it, I stopped at a gas station to fill up. Then upon stating it up again, All the lights went off except the service engine soon now came on. I just drove it to work anyhow, about 17 miles, cause the car still ran and drove fine. The was still on when I arrived at work. Anxious to see what it does on the way home. Reading this post I guess it could be a number of things. Actuator gear, battery, wheel sensor, etc.

It's an '08 X3 3.0si with the n52 engine.

Anybody have an idea?
    Last edited by WELSCH325i; 05-07-2018 at 10:35 AM.

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by WELSCH325i View Post
    I have a little bit of the same issue but not really. On the way to work this morning, Four lights came on. The ABS, Brake, 4x4, and Airbag light came on and stayed on, but ran and drove fine till. Honestly not really worried about it, I stopped at a gas station to fill up. Then upon stating it up again, All the lights went off except the service engine soon now came on. I just drove it to work anyhow, about 17 miles, cause the car still ran and drove fine. The was still on when I arrived at work. Anxious to see what it does on the way home. Reading this post I guess it could be a number of things. Actuator gear, battery, wheel sensor, etc.

It's an '08 X3 3.0si with the n52 engine.

Anybody have an idea?
    I got the transfer case out the gear is good, no dent or damage, put it back and drove around still the 3 light coming up intermittently. So far I have change two rear sensor, rear brake pad, rear tyres, rear ABS ring now running out of idea. Anybody have any suggestion?

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    That's a bummer. You're going to have get someone with a scanner to see what codes you're throwing.

I think that's what I'm going to do with mine cause I have all the lights with the addition of the airbag light, but I'm not getting that ticking sound from the case after I shut the car off. Is it 100% going to tick if that plastic gear is bad???

I wonder if that airbag light is an indication of something, cause that's not supposed to show up with the xdrive failure signals.

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    Well I think I found the issue. There wasn't any clicking when I turned the x3 off so I didn't think it was that plastic gear. I took it down to a local shop to have the codes scanned and it found that the right rear wheel speed sensor was throwing a code. So, I figured I should just replace that but this morning not a single light showed up on the dash. I don't know, but I'm going to clean the connections in that sensor just to be sure and if the lights still come on later, I'll just buy a new sensor and replace it.

My Cars
    BMW
    I took my X3 to auto electrician today as advised by two garage, they run a diagnostic and still come up as rear sensor, he told me to change the O ring in the rear left side and the ABS, brake and 4x4 light will go away. He charge me £93 in total. I drove back the garage to whether they can the 0 ring in the rear left which will cost me £50. I will get that change on Wednesday and see what will happen.

My Cars
    BMW
    Change the ring in the rear still the abs, brake and 4x4 light still coming on and off- garage guy said he have no idea what is the problem. Contacted the electrician he asked me to bring it back to check the code. The rear sensor code is gone but the transfer case fault came up. He asked me to booked it again to diagnosis it with a bmw software which will cost £93 to check. Came home jack the car up, took the transfer case out and change the gear but old gear was still good, put it all back drove the X3 still the light keep coming on and off. Now not sure what to do. Any one can advise, I keep putting money but the problem remain.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast