Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another "4x4, ABS, Brake" Light Triad Question . . .

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3

Resolution! Another "4x4, ABS, Brake" Light Triad Question . . .

I know, I know, there's a mountain of posts on this issue. I've burned up my modem reading everything I can. Please bear with me.

Question: driving my 2006 X3 into work 2 weeks ago, I get the "triad" - ABS, 4x4, brake. Panic ensues. Luckily, my indy BMW guy is on the way so I wheel it in. He's a great guy and takes it right in. He starts the car and . . . no lights. Gone. Can't find anything. He runs the codes and nothing shows up immediately. He digs a little deeper and gets 2 fault codes: steering angle and transfer case motor fault. But the warning lights aren't on. Dashboard is clear.

He clears the codes and tells me I "might" have a problem but he's unsure. Tells me to drive it around and bring it back if the lights reappear. I've been driving it 2 weeks and the lights have stayed off. I did the "lock to lock" steering reset, but I do hear a tapping sound on shut off. Car seems to be running fine otherwise.

So the question is . . . if the lights stay off, am I OK? I mean, my BMW warning lights go on when I sneeze, so I'm assuming if the lights stay off, I'm good. But . . . I dunno.

Thoughts?

UPDATE: 2 weeks later the lights went on for good, accompanied by the equally infamous "ticking" sound from the transfer case. My indy was reluctant to replace the plastic gear in the motor and 2 others begged off off even after I e-mailed them the info and walk-thrus. Everybody wanted to sell me a new motor.
    Good news: Turns out there's a guy in Denver who specializes in this fix. Found him on Craigslist. Yeah, I know, it's risky business but . . . what the hell. Took it to him today. He took off the motor, showed me the plastic gear and it was totally shot.

Bottom line is that he cleaned out my transfer case motor and installed a new carbon fiber gear for $200.00. Was in and out in 90 minutes. No lights and no codes. Me happy. Got a one year warranty.

Saved me at least grand, probably more. If there's anybody in the Denver area with this issue let me know and I'll shoot you the info.

Last edited by Denver61; 05-24-2014 at 11:47 PM.

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Your 4wd actuator is on it's final countdown. The clicking/tapping is the actuator cogs slipping which makes the noise. When the light triad does come on, it will do no further damage to the vehicle to continue to drive it but you will only have rear wheel drive. There is a no cost repair you can do yourself which involves removing the actuator, partially disassembling, and turning a nylon cog 180°. It's a relatively simple procedure that will probably get you another 60-80,000 miles before it happens again. The repair is explicitly detailed in the X3 section within bimmerfest.com. I did the repair on mine about a year ago and no problems since. Good Luck and post your final outcome.
    Current Garage:
    91 e34 M5 - spoiled & demanding 27 y/o -glanzshwarz
    91 850i/6 -another spoiled & demanding 27 y/o- schwarz-gone but never forgotten
    06 325i - undeserving, spoiled & demanding 27 y/o daughter's DD-hellrot
    03 MINI Cooper S JCW -spoiled & demanding, yet deserving wife's DD - Chili/Panther
    05 X3 3.0i -family workhorse - diamond schwarz
    12 X5 3.5d - torque monster - space gray metallic
    86 GMC Cabellero - Old Faithful 32 y/o DD BMW Support Vehicle
    08 Cub Cadet 19HP 46" hydrostatic- yard vehicle
    88 Schwinn Sierra - 1WD Off Road Vehicle
    e31 & OHC BMW CCA #385540

My Cars
    2004 Mustang GT
    Can you post a link to this detailed write up? Thank you!

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Jixxer6 View Post
    Can you post a link to this detailed write up? Thank you!
    Here you go....
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=566880

Video on how to remove the actuator: This guy replaces the bad actuator with a new one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh6HvYcn-HA

How to dis-assemble and repair the actuator: Instead of replacing the defective gear as is shown in this video, you can turn it 180 degrees....but you can buy a replacement gear at www.odometergears.com if that is your preference.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NmRe6DbXuY
    Last edited by 91e34M5; 05-19-2014 at 09:40 PM.
    Current Garage:
    03 MINI Cooper S JCW -spoiled & demanding, yet deserving wife's DD - Chili/Panther

My Cars
    2004 Mustang GT
    Bought a replacement gear from odometer gears. Thanks you!

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jixxer6 View Post
    Bought a replacement gear from odometer gears. Thanks you!
    I did the same! Now just looking for somebody in the Denver area willing to actually do it. I'm not set up for it in my garage and the mechanics I've spoken to look at me like I'm a nut for asking to do a repair I read about on the internet . . . .

My Cars
    1998 740i, 1972 2002
    Completed install of new Odometergears part while listening to ball game in garage. Fairly simple fix. No lights left and removed gear was toast...

My Cars
    BMW 331xi
    Denver 61,
    Do you have the Denver craiglist contact info. My lights just went on and i can hear the clicking sound.

Thanks

scott

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Hello Scott....unlikely that Denver 61 will reply since he only has four posts total. Check the Denver listings for independent BMW repair shops or maybe even check with the local BMW CCA. I found this link on the Rocky Mountain Chapter BMW CCA. They have listed some repair shops that sponsor some of their events that you might could check.
    Good Luck.....Murray
    http://rmcbmwcca.org/autocross/rmc-a...red-bmw-shops/
    Current Garage:

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3
    I have the same warning lights on (4x4, ABS, brakes) after I removed and disassembled the actuator I found out the gear is in perfect condition. Then I applied 12 volts on actuator's motor and it works too. Do you have any other suggestions what should I look at before going to the garage to fix it?

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by grubdunkman View Post
    I have the same warning lights on (4x4, ABS, brakes) after I removed and disassembled the actuator I found out the gear is in perfect condition. Then I applied 12 volts on actuator's motor and it works too. Do you have any other suggestions what should I look at before going to the garage to fix it?
    Sorry, but in your case, the only thing I can offer is to check the fuse box for a blown fuse. Do you hear any unusual noises from the actuator when it's on the vehicle? If you haven't already, you might also want to check bimmerfest.org. There's a lot more activity regarding X3's on that forum. You might also want to check with a local BMW independent shop. They might be able to pinpoint the issue with a full diagnostic. Could be something as simple such as a wheel sensor. My indy knows that I do my own work and he's a great help with being able to specifically diagnose problems and how to resolve it.
    Current Garage:

My Cars
    x3 2006
    I have the triad of lights but never had ticking sound. I have replaced the transfer case with a rebuilt one ($590 inc labor) and the lights are still on!!! What to do now?

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    You won't always hear the clicking/ticking. Did the replacement Transfer Case have an actuator attached? ....or did you remove and re-use the old one?
    Current Garage:

My Cars
    x3 2006
    My bad. My Indy mech didn't change the transfer case, too much money he thought. He changed the engine drive shaft, is what I think he said. And he added special oil (not motor oil, $90 engine drive shaft oil). Indy guy says 1/2 the x3s out there have this triad of lights and that it is not unsafe. He wants me to come in to check the codes again. Thoughts?

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by tdubs View Post
    My bad. My Indy mech didn't change the transfer case, too much money he thought. He changed the engine drive shaft, is what I think he said. And he added special oil (not motor oil, $90 engine drive shaft oil). Indy guy says 1/2 the x3s out there have this triad of lights and that it is not unsafe. He wants me to come in to check the codes again. Thoughts?
    I'm pretty confident it's the gear in the actuator that has gone bad. It's not a problem to continue driving it and it won't do any additional damage. Check post#4 in this thread for additional information on the repair. It's not that difficult. You can either purchase a new gear from odometer gears and install it, or simply remove and turn the existing gear in the actuator 180 degrees and you should get another 80-100,000 miles with the repair. Your indy will likely try to install a new actuator. That's not a necessary expenditure because they are quite expensive.
    Current Garage:

My Cars
    BMW Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by 91e34M5 View Post
    I'm pretty confident it's the gear in the actuator that has gone bad. It's not a problem to continue driving it and it won't do any additional damage. Check post#4 in this thread for additional information on the repair. It's not that difficult. You can either purchase a new gear from odometer gears and install it, or simply remove and turn the existing gear in the actuator 180 degrees and you should get another 80-100,000 miles with the repair. Your indy will likely try to install a new actuator. That's not a necessary expenditure because they are quite expensive.

I have a similar problem but not all of the time, the 3 lights come on occasionally but next time I stop and re-start the lights are not on, they may come on withing a few minutes or I may drive for 50 miles before they come on, any ideas guys?

My Cars
    x3 2006
    Indy got code 5F3A. Thoughts?

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by tdubs View Post
    Indy got code 5F3A. Thoughts?
    Most likely the transfer case actuator. If the Indy has any experience with BMW's, he should know this. Search for "BMW x3 transfer case actuator"...there's tons of info and videos on the subject.
    Current Garage:

My Cars
    2008 X3, 2005 Subaru LGT
    Wondering if I have the same problem. Don't get any lights, but it bucks/surges/jerks when accelerating lightly or WOT. Took it to BMW and the issue went away when they unplugged the transfer case. Hoping when I replace the gear tomorrow it fixes it

Sent from somewhere in Potatoland

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by CodyP View Post
    Wondering if I have the same problem. Don't get any lights, but it bucks/surges/jerks when accelerating lightly or WOT. Took it to BMW and the issue went away when they unplugged the transfer case. Hoping when I replace the gear tomorrow it fixes it Sent from somewhere in Potatoland
    Interesting symptoms...not typical of transfer case issues especially if there are no lights. Report back what happens at the dealer. What year is your X3?
    Current Garage:

My Cars
    2008 X3, 2005 Subaru LGT
    Meant they unplugged the actuator motor. Well I got it all apart and inspected the gear and it was flawless so I didn't even mess with the c clip to swap the gear. Thinking maybe transfer case fluid but highly doubt it. Know the fluid change intervals for it? It's a 2008. The more I read, I should have lights, or a whine, or a clicking when I turn the car off if it's the actuator motor. I'm clueless as to what it is now.

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3
    I own a 2006 X3 and had the same problem with the triad lights after I replacement the actuator motor with a new motor. In my case triad lights game back on one month after the first repair and it turned out to be the sensor in the two front wheel hubs. It was a very expensive repair because of the 4x4 design which requires the wheel hub to be removed and the new sensors programmed by a BMW Scan Tool. The transfer case fluid change requires that the gear adaption is reset which again requires a BMW Scan Tool. I have the Bavarian Technic scan tool which is great but does not enable you to code new components or rest adaptation. There is a BMW Service Bulletin after the transfer fluid change that explains why adaptations need to be reset.

My Cars
    2011 328 XI

question

Quote Originally Posted by gdking32 View Post
    I own a 2006 X3 and had the same problem with the triad lights after I replacement the actuator motor with a new motor. In my case triad lights game back on one month after the first repair and it turned out to be the sensor in the two front wheel hubs. It was a very expensive repair because of the 4x4 design which requires the wheel hub to be removed and the new sensors programmed by a BMW Scan Tool. The transfer case fluid change requires that the gear adaption is reset which again requires a BMW Scan Tool. I have the Bavarian Technic scan tool which is great but does not enable you to code new components or rest adaptation. There is a BMW Service Bulletin after the transfer fluid change that explains why adaptations need to be reset.

Your problem sounds very similar to mine. Did you have any pulsating when stopping like brakes are needed?

I know I need brakes as I was getting them fixed this weekend anyway but would that cause the 'triad of lights' to come on as well?

My Cars
    2005 x3 2.0 diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by CodyP View Post
    Wondering if I have the same problem. Don't get any lights, but it bucks/surges/jerks when accelerating lightly or WOT. Took it to BMW and the issue went away when they unplugged the transfer case. Hoping when I replace the gear tomorrow it fixes it

Have you changed tyres on the back or front recently? I had the same chugging surge after I put two Bridgestone tyres on the back and left the Pirelli tyres on the front. This caused problems for the power diff/transfer case as it couldn't reconcile the traction difference between the front and back tyres, resulting in the surge you're talking about. Put Bridgestone on the front and the problem disappeared. I found the original answer on here, I think, but I can't find the post now.

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by boxroomrebel View Post
    Have you changed tyres on the back or front recently? I had the same chugging surge after I put two Bridgestone tyres on the back and left the Pirelli tyres on the front. This caused problems for the power diff/transfer case as it couldn't reconcile the traction difference between the front and back tyres, resulting in the surge you're talking about. Put Bridgestone on the front and the problem disappeared. I found the original answer on here, I think, but I can't find the post now.
    Excellent question. It's extremely important on X3's to have all 4 tires to be of the the same size and regularly rotated. If any one tire is of a different diameter, (for example, one tire replaced due to being damaged, with the remaining tires having half tread), it will cause binding that centralizes in the transfer case and will stress the entire 4WD system. So keep your tires/wheels aligned and rotated for the life of the AWD system.
    Current Garage:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast