Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear Shock Mount Access Z3 Coupes without removing trim - sources

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Remotion View Post
    Up. I hate removing trim, it does not bother me other than the panels in the B-pillar, and near seatbelts. Those drive me crazy. So has anyone done any tasteful mods that would give easy access to whole rear mount but look oemish and that would keep noise out.

My trunk is already 2/3:rds carbon so I am up for good ideas and solutions.
    I wonder if you could remove the carpet and then carbon fiber skin the plastic with a couple panels up top for access to the mounts.

My Coupe has holes cut in the top (not by me!), so I'm stomaching buying two fresh panels. Went on ECS to check prices and about $140 per side. Then I put in my zip code and shipping ballooned to $160!!! Um, no. Found them elsewhere for $266 shipped, but still holding out that a used set of beige panels pop up somewhere. Anyone got a set they don't need?!

Parts 51478401689 and 51478401690 in my case.

Had a few other miscellaneous trim bits in my cart, but, HA...

ECS.JPG

Grrrrr....

tan.jpg

And don't worry, I already replaced the missing cap near the latch.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 05-03-2018 at 10:25 AM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2000 S54 - Mcoupe
    LOL! I did this to my coupe hahahaha

Im adjusting the rear pretty often, so I had to make the holes. I’m not ready for gutting the car just yet, so this is easy access for me when I hit the track.

My Cars
    z3
    I just bent the carpet a LOT and installed rogue engineering RSM's.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    I wonder if you could remove the carpet and then carbon fiber skin the plastic with a couple panels up top for access to the mounts.
    I could never live with skinning it is just wrong and fake. It needs to be 100% carbon or oem. But I need to keep soft materials in the car, carbon does not mute sound so noise and harshness will get worse if I make more carbon, now it is about 50/50 and good balance.

I think OEM is now only way to go, other would be making round nice hole and adjuster rising above that into trunk.

I quess taking them off and keeping it that way until I have found proper settings for the AST is best practice, and keeping mine intact. Seems like most that have holes in their panels want to buy new unmolested. Maybe that was the tell tale I needed to hear.
    But I do not know how high those AST5100 adjusters rise. I hope they fit under properly.

But is there way to take these away without eventually touching the panels that hide belts? I haaaaate with passion playing with them.
    Last edited by Remotion; 05-03-2018 at 04:36 PM.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    It needs to be 100% carbon or oem. But I need to keep soft materials in the car, carbon does not mute sound so noise and harshness will get worse if I make more carbon, now it is about 50/50 and good balance.
    This is 100% carbon o(ve)r OEM. It felt right to me, even if it's fake. I bet I never get the AC crack again either.

IMG_4542.JPG

Unacceptable? I guess I did gain a few grams.

I'm just messing. I understand your goal here. Why not just replicate the parts from carbon (you obviously have the skill and resources) with a panel that pops out the top for easy adjustment? Maybe some Dynamat around the tower for noise suppression.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    It is not unnecceptable and that is small part that is bitch to make so layering is okay imho, just not my thing maybe?

My Cars
    00 E39 M5, Z3 Coupe 3.0i
    Another bump to this old thread, and I know the title is access without removing trim. But does anyone have a step by step to removing the trim to get access?

My Cars
    Coupes...
    There is no access. This is a right of passage.

Remove jigsaw of the rear interior very carefully.

Then remove rear shock mounts.

Then install new shock mounts.

Then install the carpet panel.

Then Do the grease pin through the bushings and mark the back of the panel.

Take a spot weld cutter (if you are RF) or a 1/2 inch drill bit and drill the plastic but don't punch through the carpet.

Then put it all back together and gently cut the carpet in a cross with a razor blade.

Then you can put the tool through to adjust it the one and only time you will ever need that hole for the rest of your life.

Then you can engage smug mode and make fun of everyone with giant holes in the rear hatch carpet.

- - - Updated - - -

Stygar cut holes in his carpet, don't be like Stygar.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    As mpire says its a right of passage for coupe owners. The guru, Stygar, had posted what you are looking for but its lost in the depths of internet archives. This one isn't as easy to follow, but at least it'll open your eyes a bit.

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pdw/mcoupe/rsm.html

Take your time, take lots of notes and pictures and don't force anything. The pieces truly interlock and if you break any of the tabs, the interior will creak and rattle worse than your rsm.

And if you haven't purchased replacement rsm's, take a look at these . https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rog...E46_p_270.html They allow you to replace/remove the shocks from below. Otherwise you're looking at removing the interior pieces once again.

Have fun.
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    00 E39 M5, Z3 Coupe 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    As mpire says its a right of passage for coupe owners. The guru, Stygar, had posted what you are looking for but its lost in the depths of internet archives. This one isn't as easy to follow, but at least it'll open your eyes a bit.

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pdw/mcoupe/rsm.html

Take your time, take lots of notes and pictures and don't force anything. The pieces truly interlock and if you break any of the tabs, the interior will creak and rattle worse than your rsm.

And if you haven't purchased replacement rsm's, take a look at these . https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rog...E46_p_270.html They allow you to replace/remove the shocks from below. Otherwise you're looking at removing the interior pieces once again.

Have fun.

Perfect, this is a very good starting point, thanks.

BTW, is $105 for one set of RSM's or is that each and I would need to order 2?
    Last edited by alquazi; 08-24-2019 at 02:51 PM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    Pretty sure the RSM are sold as a set (2). I have a hard time believing that anyone would buy 1 - especially as they are rebuildable, but a phone call might let you sleep better.
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Roadster
    I recently developed a dull sound that was just rear of the drivers seat, like a rod rattling against metal.
    After a site search I was confident it was the RSM but was not looking forward to the project. I was a little fearful that when thing were back together there would be new rattles or ill-fitting trim but the drilling an access opening just seemed worse.
    So I swallowed hard and bought a pair of Rogue Engineering rear mounts and installed them today.
    The detailed description linked above was spot on. All together it took a few hours but there were no surprises whatsoever. Not a broken tab or damaged fastener and the reassembly looks as if the cargo area was untouched. As it turns out both mounts were broke down, the drivers side was just worse off.
    Don’t be intimidated. Honestly, it was an easier experience than a glovebox rehab.

-John

My Cars
    2001 z3 3.0i
    Does anyone happen to know the part number or where to order the plastic access panel on the roll bars for a 2001 z3 3.0i? I can’t seem to find this anywhere. THanks!

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMac247 View Post
    Does anyone happen to know the part number or where to order the plastic access panel on the roll bars for a 2001 z3 3.0i? I can’t seem to find this anywhere. THanks!
    Check RealOEM.com.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    LOL seems like I never posted my solution. I can access them now in 15 seconds per side.

Designed and made these last summer. Underside ring is steel to grip the screw and all oher is aluminium. Black part has thread and goes in just enough to make these underside halfcircles to grip like hell when screws are tightened.

These cars should have became like this from factory, that is 10000% the feeling immediately after first time of use.
    Last edited by Remotion; 03-10-2020 at 08:59 PM.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Here are few more shots I took last summer.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i M20 Turbo

I noticed no one responded to your post. This is 100% rad and I want a set for sure!!!! Any way we can order these from you?
    1999 Z3 Coupe 2.8L

CHECK OUT >>>
    RAGE DRIFT DESIGNS <<< FOR DECALS AND MORE!

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    How did I miss this!? I’d buy a pair as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 Estoril Blue M Coupe
    Please share where this solution can be purchased?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12