Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: S54 swap in a tucked and shaved E36 bay

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Funny you say that, because I actually mocked up the stock hard pipe with my Euro coolant pipe the other day and it wasn't too far off. Gotta cut off the heater core T and weld that up, and I'd like to weld a bracket to attach to one of the header heat shield bolts that I won't be using. It puts the 90 right at the Euro tank and is exactly what I'm looking to do - eliminate a long soft line that could possibly droop on to the headers. I'll let you know what I figure out.

My Cars
    97 BMW M3
    Sweet updates! Cant wait to see this all buttoned up.
    Current:
    '97 E36 M3 Track/Street Silver Coupe
    '03 325XI AW Sedan
    Prev:
    '02 E46 M3 Active Autowerke Stage 3.5 S/C'd IR/IR Coupe

My Cars
    BMW E36 S54 Sedan
    Yeah Purduina, u have photos to see how you hide the wires?

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Quote Originally Posted by MSpeedAddict View Post
    Sweet updates! Cant wait to see this all buttoned up.
    Thanks, me either!

Quote Originally Posted by B0rJarZz View Post
    Yeah Purduina, u have photos to see how you hide the wires?
    Well there's no wiring harness on the motor yet, however if you're referring to the headlight harness I just deleted a ton of stuff and whatever was left got rerouted through the inside of the fender and comes out right where the rad support bolts up to.

My Cars
    BMW E36 S54 Sedan
    Exactly, thats what i'm talking about.

Thanks!

My Cars
    '08 G35S, '98 M3/4/5
    This is just absolutely amazing. There's no other way to put it!
    Infiniti G35S Turbo BMW M3/4/5 Ninja ZX6R 636
    Penn State University '08...better than your school since 1855
    Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Incorporated

UTI Class of '10, BMW "STEPchild"
    Acurazine.com Mod Squad

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Thanks bro! Keep me updated on the progress of your swap and let me know if you need anything else!

Wasn't happy with how the vanos turned out after the first polish so I pulled it out to repolish it again. It's getting there!

Decided to buy new cam position sensors (S54 has one for the intake and one for the exhaust camshafts) and a new crank position sensor. Peace of mind and keeps with the brand new everything theme

Also put brand new lemforder ball joints in my control arms after having a 2 yr old ball joint sheer at an auto-x last season. Seems like with the amount of stress I put them through they're going to have to be a yearly replacement. Also got a Bear Motorsport shifter all from my good friend Calvin!

Can't put anything back in this car without cleaning it up or replacing it! #ocdproblems

Also had the fuel injectors sent out for an ultrasonic cleaning and rebuild. Turns out that they weren't as terrible as I would have thought after all those miles!

Lastly, here's a project I've been working on for a while. The S54 comes with a small coolant pipe that goes from the water pump, in front of the timing cover, and wraps around the side of the head to connect to the coolant reservoir that usually would sit on the front of the strut tower. I'm running the Euro coolant tank and have already welded in the brackets for it back when I had my S52, so I wanted to retain that for this swap. A few people suggested to get a soft rubber hose from the E46 325xi to connect them but I was not thrilled about having a soft line holding coolant that feeds the water pump sitting right over the headers, just didn't seem smart! I decided to try and figure out a solution by fabbing up a hard pipe over the headers. Turns out the Euro hard pipe for the S52 wasn't too far off when merged with the E46 hard pipe! I was able to weld them together and the fitment is awesome!

This:

Plus this:

Equals this:

It still has 2 brackets that bolt to the head and then I have another rubber clamp that fits perfectly on the back side and will bolt into where the header heat shield does in the head.

Here's the fitment:

All that's left to do for the pipe is to bend the top slightly and trim it to fit and then find a reducer from the tank to the pipe (I'm thinking the OBD2 to OBD1 conversion pipe piece would work great here). Looks like it's going to work out perfectly with just 1-2" of soft hose. You'd have no idea it wasn't OEM!
    Last edited by purduinaM3; 09-23-2014 at 02:23 PM.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    That coolant pipe looks sweet.

My Cars
    '08 G35S, '98 M3/4/5
    I could def use one of those pipes when the time comes lol. (Ofcourse I'd pay for it)
    Infiniti G35S Turbo BMW M3/4/5 Ninja ZX6R 636
    Penn State University '08...better than your school since 1855
    Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Incorporated

UTI Class of '10, BMW "STEPchild"
    Acurazine.com Mod Squad

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    2 things:

What happened to the heat shield that goes over the headers?

How much did you torque down the control arm last time? We had a guy break one at the track a few weeks ago, and one of the shops present said they usually only break when overtorqued. It's a mofo to get anything to measure it in there but if you overdo it they can/will snap.
    A word of Internet Forum wisdom: Disregard any advice that begins with "I've heard..."

97 M3/4 - S54, TRM Coilovers, UUC SSK/Sways/LTW Flywheel

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    I still have the heat shield, just haven't put it on yet. Is it completely necessary though?

The balljoint snapped on the hub side, so no there's no way to really get a torque wrench or anything in there. I don't think it was overtorqued, I had a few engineers take a look at the part that sheered and they said it was definitely metal fatigue. They just weren't meant to handle the stress that todays new tires are putting on them. Seems like a common problem that's reoccurring more and more now, and expensive since it cost me a fender and a wheel. I'll just stick to replacing them every winter, it's not that hard.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone know the size dimensions of this hose? Wondering if the larger side would fit on the Euro expansion tank, as I'm pretty sure the other side should fit fine on the hard pipe I made. Or any other ideas where I can get a proper reducer for that application?

Part # 11531318404
    Last edited by purduinaM3; 09-23-2014 at 05:39 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3 - 03 325i - 68 Bug
    Hell yes! Looks like I'll be welding the coolant pipe then. Wonder after it is all welded, I may be able to have a fab buddy check it out and see if can't make a nice and straight aluminum piece that just flows a lil more smoothly since this is a bit of a DIY area right now.

Like how a lot of the track builds would do aluminum pipes and then AN fittings at the connection points(obviously will kill oem look, which is what I am going after as well).

I still need to look into the shifter arm for mine. Have the UUC selector rod, and the F-series short shifter that was discovered not too long ago(love the oem short shifter finds), but I do still need the arm itself.

It's a 7/8" opening on the large end. I had reordered all the rubber for the euro kit so I could replace it all while doing the swap
    Last edited by SneauxM3; 09-23-2014 at 05:48 PM.

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Dude, you're amazing!!! I didn't think anybody would have that dimension but I figured it would be worth a shot! Heading back out to the garage now to measure the Euro tank.

I've been considering the AKG selector rod, I'll probably end up pulling the trigger. What's another $150 at this point? The arm from Calvin works and looks great, well worth the upgrade.

I love how this pipe came out and it wasn't too hard at all, just make sure you pressure test it for leaks when you're done! The bends actually work well to keep it away from the SAP delete and the return oil line off the valve cover. As far as the AN fittings for the coolant, not sure how you would connect that to either the water pump or the tank, but those do work great for other areas. I'm in the process of building stainless steel lines and AN fittings for the power steering lines so that all of those are leak free. They shouldn't be too visible from the bay though which will keep the OEM look. Hopefully I'll have pictures of that next update!

My Cars
    95 M3 - 03 325i - 68 Bug
    Well that makes sense, I know straighter isn't always better. We'd all be anatomically exact if that were the case, ho ho!

I was thinking about the same thing with the power steering lines. I saw member on M3f has the buy going for the E46 upgraded lines, but they are definitely routed differently than ours. I'd be interested if cost isn't terrible for a 2nd set from who is making yours, unless you're doing them...but I know buddy could help out if I send him the oem ones.

On the reservoir.

3/4" I.D. - 1" O.D.
    Last edited by SneauxM3; 09-23-2014 at 06:41 PM.

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Got a ton of work done on the car today! Seems like every time I have taken a step forward the past few weeks I go to steps back but today went without too many setbacks luckily.

Here's the injectors after their ultrasonic cleaning and rebuild. Check out MrInjector.us for all your injectors needs, great pricing quick turn around and flawless job. Love the flow chart that came with them and the jolly ranchers he threw in as well!

I also polished the fuel rail and ITB air pipe before I put everything back together, they came out great!

So fresh and so clean! All new errthang

Mostly together, just waiting on a harness! Intake manifold isn't clamped down because it'll need to come off for the harness and because I'll be replacing it with a carbon air box anyway.

Not much left to do. Still playing around with the shifter and debating whether or not to pick up an AKG DSSR, then the driveshaft will go back in. Still have to fab up some stainless steel lines and AN fittings for the power steering, and I still have to mount the gas pedal and finish the coolant pipe. Asides from that and obviously the harness, almost everything else is done. Getting there!

My Cars
    skateboard
    Soo much awesomeness.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    95 M3 - 03 325i - 68 Bug
    Very nice. Seeing the way that ATI damper looks has me debating to pull the trigger now lol.

Did you decide to do harness, farm it out, working with a buddy?

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    You're missing an A/C compressor .....

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Soo much awesomeness.
    Thanks! You'll probably see it in person tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by SneauxM3 View Post
    Very nice. Seeing the way that ATI damper looks has me debating to pull the trigger now lol.

Did you decide to do harness, farm it out, working with a buddy?
    Haven't driven with it obviously yet but it seems like a nice piece. Not extremely thrilled with VAC on the purchase though. Called them up before ordering and wanted to confirm that they had a crank pulley without the AC since I won't be running it. The salesman explained that the AC part of the pulley was removable, which I questioned and asked if he was sure, and he quickly reassured me this was how it was. $1300 later I got the parts with the AC still on there and no bolts for the crank pulley. I called them up and the guy I spoke to this time told me that only the M50 pulleys have removable AC and not the S54's, which is what I had assumed at first. He said the best I could do was shave it down on a lathe, and they said they would ship me new bolts for the pulley. Obviously having the AC on the pulley isn't a huge deal, I'll just have to run my SPAL fan reverse as a pusher instead of a puller due to clearance. Not going to take a lathe to my freshly anodized pulley! Got the bolts shortly after and they only sent 4 when it clearly needs 6. Went out and got my own bolts for it in black and it is what it is, just not thrilled with the customer service on such an expensive order.

As for the harness, I'll probably have Markert build me one over the winter unless I can find a better solution before then. Seems like a great piece, just pricey. What are you going to do for yours?

Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    You're missing an A/C compressor .....
    Pulled my AC a few years back and haven't missed it since! This is more of a toy car, if its really that hot I'm in my daily anyway.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Love the attention to detail! Now tuck that ground cable

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    95 M3 - 03 325i - 68 Bug
    I think I made the final decision that I am going to buy the Z3 harness and sell off the motor portion that came with mine, and me and buddy are going to build it.

Have been looking over the schematics in the bentley, as well as the info now that's been posted by a few REALLY clearing up exactly what goes where. It kind of helps that I'm going to be having the assistance of a master tech as well But, plan is to lay it out and really double check everything before we do it....because the basics is not hard at all, it's mainly the a/c issue, but the info has been put out there enough....I just haven't had the time to really sit down and mark everything and look over it.

I'm already stripping my S50 harness of the items that aren't needed, and then once the Z3 harness shows I will begin that slimming process. I just hate that I haven't built a harness for a car since about back in high school, so as I easy as I know it is...I still wanted the help of someone who does this regularly on cars.

As this harness is built, I WILL be taking detailed photos so it's not just a pin-chart of where to run wires, but a lil visual of what it will look like as well. I'm hoping this will bring more ppl into wanting to do this swap, but with the harness being the main issue with the entire thing still...Markert's prices are not bad given it offers full functions if one decided to use a/c or not.
    Last edited by SneauxM3; 09-28-2014 at 09:39 AM.

My Cars
    German ones
    Quote Originally Posted by purduinaM3 View Post
    As for the harness, I'll probably have Markert build me one over the winter unless I can find a better solution before then. Seems like a great piece, just pricey. What are you going to do for yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by SneauxM3 View Post
    I think I made the final decision that I am going to buy the Z3 harness and sell off the motor portion that came with mine, and me and buddy are going to build it.

Have been looking over the schematics in the bentley, as well as the info now that's been posted by a few REALLY clearing up exactly what goes where. It kind of helps that I'm going to be having the assistance of a master tech as well But, plan is to lay it out and really double check everything before we do it....because the basics is not hard at all, it's mainly the a/c issue, but the info has been put out there enough....I just haven't had the time to really sit down and mark everything and look over it.

I'm already stripping my S50 harness of the items that aren't needed, and then once the Z3 harness shows I will begin that slimming process. I just hate that I haven't built a harness for a car since about back in high school, so as I easy as I know it is...I still wanted the help of someone who does this regularly on cars.

As this harness is built, I WILL be taking detailed photos so it's not just a pin-chart of where to run wires, but a lil visual of what it will look like as well. I'm hoping this will bring more ppl into wanting to do this swap, but with the harness being the main issue with the entire thing still...Markert's prices are not bad given it offers full functions if one decided to use a/c or not.
    Guys, I'll be doing the swap this winter in my OBDI M3 and will do as much documentation as possible. I'm still on the fence about what to do with the MAF situation, either use the S54 MZ3 airbox or I'll machine a custom MAF housing to use the Euro S50 E36 airbox. I don't want to use a CAI/open filter element as most of them sound terrible and don't add power. I'm leaning towards the Euro S50 E36 airbox so I can use the factory 'cold air' setup and have factory fitment.

On the harness, I'm using the Z3 S54 main harness, E46 M3 O2 sensor harness, E46 M3 coil harness, and having a custom adapter harness made by a member on another forum to plug it all in. PM me if you want his info as I don't want to ruffle feathers by posting it here. His pricing is very reasonable for a custom harness and much less than MM.

There is an A/C & CEL solution as well from member Zodiacbw here. I'm having the necessary wiring added to my custom harness for the install. It is basically a CAN interface board wired between the DME & HVAC components. I'm curious what the MM solution is as well so please post it up if you know.
    Dave
    '18 RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins
    '15 Pure White VW Touareg TDI
    ///'95 Avus M3 S54B32 Race car -- 2022 ProAutoSports PS1 Champion
    ///'72 Chamonix 2002 (Restoration project)

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    I love hearing that there are guys out there looking into a DIY solution to the Z3M S54 harness. I consider myself a great wrench and have no issues building motors, but the one area where I know I lack is in wiring, not to mention I'm color blind so most of those diagrams mean nothing to me. I would definitely be interested in more info from both of you on anything you find out. If enough information was available I'd definitely attempt to build the harness myself. I'd love to see an open forum of info to make these swaps easier for other members and I hope that at least a few things my build thread will help future swappers as well.

I'm not running AC so if that's the toughest part about the harness then that's not a huge deal at all for me. I've always wondered what all needs to be done to make the MZ3 work. The conversion harness just connects the engine harness to the body, right? How clean is it?
    Last edited by purduinaM3; 09-28-2014 at 10:07 PM.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Curious to know how to do this on a OBDI chassis. Bought me a 1992 325i 5 speed about two weeks ago. Not planning to do anything now but a S54 swap is in the back of my head and will one day become a future project. Would love to know how to integrate a stock MSS54 to this OBDII car.

My Cars
    German ones
    Quote Originally Posted by purduinaM3 View Post
    I love hearing that there are guys out there looking into a DIY solution to the Z3M S54 harness. I consider myself a great wrench and have no issues building motors, but the one area where I know I lack is in wiring, not to mention I'm color blind so most of those diagrams mean nothing to me. I would definitely be interested in more info from both of you on anything you find out. If enough information was available I'd definitely attempt to build the harness myself. I'd love to see an open forum of info to make these swaps easier for other members and I hope that at least a few things my build thread will help future swappers as well.

I'm not running AC so if that's the toughest part about the harness then that's not a huge deal at all for me. I've always wondered what all needs to be done to make the MZ3 work. The conversion harness just connects the engine harness to the body, right? How clean is it?
    The simple explanation is this: The conversion harness will plug into the X20 connector on the chassis and the X60004 40 pin on the MSS54 DME, and carry all of the relevant connectors (gauge cluster, DBW pedal, sport mode switch, OBDII port etc.) Again that is a very basic overview. The adapter harness is built using all new BMW connectors and looks OEM. I'm keeping the AC as I want the swap as factory looking/functioning as possible, so mine is a bit more work. The adapter harness is ~$500 and well worth it (to me). That puts my swap wiring total at ~$1K, not including any surprises along the way. I wanted to get a wiring solution sorted before I even started the swap as the mechanical side is cake. Understanding the electrical now will certainly help diagnose any issues later.

BTW, I really like your expansion tank solution and will likely copy it for my swap. What are you using for a radiator and oil cooler? I'll be using the S54 MZ3 radiator and a custom oil cooler setup.

I just cleared out a bit of space in the garage to bring the motor home and get it ready do the rod bearings/bolts and a full Beisan VANOS rebuild. I'm sure I'll catch the 'while I'm in there' disease quickly on this swap. I should be getting started within the next few weeks.
    Dave
    '18 RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins
    '15 Pure White VW Touareg TDI
    ///'95 Avus M3 S54B32 Race car -- 2022 ProAutoSports PS1 Champion
    ///'72 Chamonix 2002 (Restoration project)

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast