Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: S54 swap in a tucked and shaved E36 bay

My Cars
    2002 bmw 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by purduinaM3 View Post
    Damn, that little bolt caused some serious carnage! Good luck with the rebuild, hopefully it's not too bad.
    Didnt need to rebuild....everything runs great tbh

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Didn't take many pictures but made awesome progress on the motor. Got the cams installed no problem and then tackled the vanos with Dan the Vanos Man. I've known Dan for years so he came over and guided and helped me install all of the Beisan System parts. I bought everything they sell for the S54 including the rebuilt solenoid coil pack, sealing plate repair kit, modified oil pump disc, anti-rattle kit and the replacement seals kit. We also replaced all the vanos bolts with the updated OEM bolts and replaced the vanos filter. This should take care of all of the Vanos problems with these motors and I shouldn't have to touch it again, aside from periodically checking the tabs on the gear while in there for valve adjustments. Very tedious work but we got it done fairly quick. Now it just needs a good polish!

Cleaned and painted some of the parts/accessories:

New updated vanos bolts:

And almost done!

Everything looks great and I couldn't be happier. Have a few big orders that should arrive this week with the finishing touches and then this thing will be ready to go in the car!

Sneak peak of whats next:

My Cars
    BMW E36 S54 Sedan
    <3

My Cars
    95 M3 - 03 325i - 68 Bug
    Why am I in New Orleans right now lol, should be working on mine! Crap, you've shot forward compared to mine now

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Get to work! Once the bottom end is done the rest goes together fast.

Just made another huge order. Gonna give the VAC Harmonic Damper a shot along with their under drive pulleys. I'm gonna see how the Rogue vanos hardline fits compared to stock since the one on the motor was leaking bad. Also bought a new OE PS pump, water pump, thermostat, alternator, all of the tensioners and rollers, spark plugs, fuel injectors, and a bunch of other stuff. Figured might as well go all out so everything on the motor is new. Will update with more pictures once it's all together.

My Cars
    3xxti
    great build man...reminds me of when i built my m52 all fresh

House OF The swapped Compacts !!!! Mzk2built
    98active 318ti s54 cf airbox alpha-n-tune by RK Tunes 325rwhp 257rwtq
    98 Cali edition 318ti completely stock daily (FOR SALE)
    95 318ti active w/winter package long time drag project awaiting S/C s54 swa

My Cars
    BMW E36 S54 Sedan
    top top top top!!

My Cars
    s50 + snail
    Dan your Vanos Man...awesome guy! Tell him Kash with the S54 E30 M3 says Hi!

Keep up the work man. The finish line is ahead. Take your time...even if it means that you dont get the car ready for the end of the season.

I'd like to come up to check out the progress and lend a hand if possible. Good Luck
    If looks could kill:

Present- 88' OBDII S54 powered E30 ///M3 ~ Avus 95 OBD1 M3~ AW/Blk E60 550i~AW/Blk 15' F15 X5 3.5Msport~91' Formula Red NSX

Memories- B16 EG, S52 OBD1 E30 M3, Avus E36 M3 single snailed, 2002 AW/Blk E46 M3 SMG, 2003.5 AW/Blk E46 M3 6MT, N54 Montego 335i Sedan

...on the P-Car hunt for a Guards Red or CW 997.2 GT3 or GT2

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Quote Originally Posted by 3xxtiMZK2 View Post
    great build man...reminds me of when i built my m52 all fresh
    Nice! Got any pics of it?

Quote Originally Posted by 1m32nv View Post
    Dan your Vanos Man...awesome guy! Tell him Kash with the S54 E30 M3 says Hi!

Keep up the work man. The finish line is ahead. Take your time...even if it means that you dont get the car ready for the end of the season.

I'd like to come up to check out the progress and lend a hand if possible. Good Luck
    I'll be sure to let him know next time I see him! Aiming for the car to be done for the beginning of next season actually so I'm in no rush at all, I've been taking my time with it while still trying to make good progress while I have a ton of free time. Opening my own franchise soon and won't have spare time like this for a while so I'd like to have the motor in the car ready to go for the most part before that happens. Also, feel free to stop by at any time to hang or help! Just let me know.

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    I've had a ton of parts being delivered all week... finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!

Not too much left. I have 5 packages out for delivery today so as long as everything gets here with no issues I don't see why I can't have the motor in the car this weekend!
    Last edited by purduinaM3; 08-29-2014 at 08:25 AM.

My Cars
    BMW E36 S54 Sedan
    wow.... nice.

i bough a vac crank pulley to test too with the ATI super damper, i don't test yet if the vac power pulleys belt is good. You know something about that? share information, im curious.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 330ci
    Whats so special about this damper.......the price is so damn unreasonable the factory one doess just fine.....?? Someone please explain to me

My Cars
    95' euro m3 cosmos coupe
    Yup! My engine actually didn't have one attached initially but I saw it in the parts diagram and ordered one to fit on my motor. Haven't installed it yet because I'm still not sure if I'm going to get a new OEM vibration damper, an ATI, or just leave this one (unlikely). This build is just getting extremely out of hand financially speaking but I want to do it all right the first time. Also would prefer a smaller crank pulley without AC for clearance reasons.[/QUOTE]

You can use the oem tool for it or you could use a 36mm 12point(iirc) like I've done (only on the S50B32)
    BTW did you polish your vanos cover? motor look so clean
    Last edited by barkmancosmosm3; 08-30-2014 at 02:59 PM.

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Quote Originally Posted by B0rJarZz View Post
    wow.... nice.

i bough a vac crank pulley to test too with the ATI super damper, i don't test yet if the vac power pulleys belt is good. You know something about that? share information, im curious.
    Not sure if I understand your question, but the belt that came with my 3 ultra light power pulleys works fine with my VAC standard sized crank pulley. VAC does not recommend using the under driven crank pulley if you're using the under driven accessory pulleys anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberlando View Post
    Whats so special about this damper.......the price is so damn unreasonable the factory one doess just fine.....?? Someone please explain to me
    Stock dampers implode with heavy track usage and when they go, so does your motor usually. It's cheap insurance to make sure that problem doesn't happen to me, and its only marginally more than the OEM one when you figure it comes with the $300 crank pulley.

Quote Originally Posted by barkmancosmosm3 View Post
    You can use the oem tool for it or you could use a 36mm 12point(iirc) like I've done (only on the S50B32)
    BTW did you polish your vanos cover? motor look so clean
    The cover that goes over the 4 crank bolts on the S54 is a 6 pt 32mm, but some motors don't come with it from what I've seen. I added mine. And yes, I started polishing the vanos but haven't finished yet. It's getting there!

- - - Updated - - -

Major progress today when I had a few of my buddies come over and help wrench!

Getting there!

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Impressive!
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    BMW E36 S54 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by purduinaM3 View Post
    Not sure if I understand your question, but the belt that came with my 3 ultra light power pulleys works fine with my VAC standard sized crank pulley. VAC does not recommend using the under driven crank pulley if you're using the under driven accessory pulleys anyway.
    I know, they don't recommend that, but, i want to try, They don't tell the exact reason why, but was a gift and i want test it.

By the way, i love your engine bay, im a newbie in this field, how you do that? Where are the wires??
    Last edited by B0rJarZz; 08-31-2014 at 08:26 AM.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    What's the reason behind blocking off that little port on the head?

My Cars
    1998 M3 black
    Nice clean build!

My Cars
    2002 bmw 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    What's the reason behind blocking off that little port on the head?
    Thay little port is for the emissions pump I'm sure he won't need it since this is pretty much a race build lol

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Ah, I was trying to think about that port and what is it used for. Thought something about the cooling system.

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Yup, that's the port for the secondary air pump which I won't be running, I used the VAC block off plate.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Yep, you're right. Completely forgot about SAP.

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Got the heater core hoses done tonight, just used the E46 M3 ones since they fit. The feed from the hard pipe has to be trimmed a bit, but the return line fits like a glove. Also got the new E46 fuel filter in with the new regulator. Just had to trim a bracket under the car for extra clearance but everything else fits fine. Got the stock gas pedal out, still trying to figure out how to mount the new one, but not going to worry too much about it until I get the harness and plug it in first (since the plug is on the backside). Also installed the slave cylinder and sorted out all of the vacuum lines. Kinda surprised at how well this motor fits in the chassis honestly, mechanically it's a fairly easy swap. Waiting on a new shifter before I put the driveshaft and guibo in. Still need to figure out a custom solution for the hard pipe to the Euro expansion tank, probably will have to fab something up. Other than that it's pretty close to being finished once I get a harness!

My Cars
    2002 bmw 330ci
    Please when you get to the wiring can you be as detailed as possible on how to Make it work with the E36 chasis

I'm very much interested in this swap....... mechanically I can do this easy! I get a bit confused on how to make all the wires communicate with the dme

My Cars
    95 M3 - 03 325i - 68 Bug
    Here's wiring for you if that is all you need, very simple. It is with an OBD2 chassis though, so there are a few things you won't need if like mine, going into OBD1.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...t-E36-Swap-FAQ

I've been thinking about that hardpipe connection as well for routing it over to the euro overflow. Wouldn't be the worst to flex some mild steel and use some rubber connections, but I am really going to miss having that nice one-piece making it all the way around the head. I was curious to find a way to make the old euro coolant pipe work with it if possible.

Haven't really been looking at it much, been collecting my carbon sheets to replicate the trumpets inside the airbox.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast