Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: S54 swap in a tucked and shaved E36 bay

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iJunkie View Post
    All the swaps we do have full OBD2 functionality as well as will pass obd2 plug in test.
    I'm really interested in how you make that work. Is that information you're willing to share? I'm trying to find out exactly what I'll need and what I'll need to do as I'm nearly positive an OBD II plug test is required where I'm located.

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Basically a properly wired obd2 port and flashing the ecu bearing in mind the readiness monitors
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    My car has a fully functioning OBD2 port and passed NY state emissions as well.

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    Did either of you wire the swap similarly to the method described in this thread? : http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...t-E36-Swap-FAQ

I am unfamiliar with readiness monitors. 328ijunkie, what resources did you use to have your ECU reflashed?

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by cohny View Post
    Did either of you wire the swap similarly to the method described in this thread? : http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...t-E36-Swap-FAQ

I am unfamiliar with readiness monitors. 328ijunkie, what resources did you use to have your ECU reflashed?

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.
    Some of that wiring is correct. Some of it needed a little love. We sell flashes so I dont have alot of help for you there but if you have a good bit of IT knowledge and tons of time you can tear into it your self on M3forum. The upfront investment is extremely small to get setup, Ebay/Amazon Inpa cable and flashing tools from chipster.no or mssflasher I learned about 20% of what i needed to know from various threads/guys there and the rest figured out tearing through the A2L myself as well as testing on a inhouse swap car we did a few years ago.

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    Some of that wiring is correct. Some of it needed a little love. We sell flashes so I dont have alot of help for you there but if you have a good bit of IT knowledge and tons of time you can tear into it your self on M3forum. The upfront investment is extremely small to get setup, Ebay/Amazon Inpa cable and flashing tools from chipster.no or mssflasher I learned about 20% of what i needed to know from various threads/guys there and the rest figured out tearing through the A2L myself as well as testing on a inhouse swap car we did a few years ago.
    I would be willing to purchase a reflash. I am a mechanical engineer and have a basic understanding of electrical and circuits material from school but I am not well versed in programming. Even completing the physical wiring will be a leap into new territory for me.

Could you expand on what is correct and what needs a little love in the wiring directions I linked to. So far that is the only step-by-step resource for completing the wiring for this swap I've been able to find.

Also, OP, if this is beginning to go too far off topic for this thread I'll respectfully stop but I do like to keep these sorts of discussions public for others who may be interested in the information. And of course, if you have any specifics on how you got yours running that would be great and much appreciated.

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    We run the Euro Fuel pump setup in all our stuff (pin 10), pins 2,5,6 not really necessary, make sure what they have listed as OLS power gets power as its also for the alternator.

I would tear into the diagrams yourself if you plan on doing the wiring yourself so that when something doesnt work initally (which will happen :P) you understand how everything works vs just having someone elses diagram to reference.

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    We run the Euro Fuel pump setup in all our stuff (pin 10), pins 2,5,6 not really necessary, make sure what they have listed as OLS power gets power as its also for the alternator.

I would tear into the diagrams yourself if you plan on doing the wiring yourself so that when something doesnt work initally (which will happen :P) you understand how everything works vs just having someone elses diagram to reference.
    You make an excellent point. I'll get the manuals and start looking into it. Thanks for the help so far.

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    All the swaps we do have full OBD2 functionality as well as will pass obd2 plug in test.
    Sadly this will only work in states outside of CA. Because the EVAP system can't be transferred from an e46 m3 into an e30/e46, the car will never be an emissions "legal" swap in Commifornia.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    This guy got the evap stuff in his: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...post1067310451

Might also be possible to keep the canister under the car rather than in the trunk if you use the E46 non-M stuff.

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    This guy got the evap stuff in his: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...post1067310451

Might also be possible to keep the canister under the car rather than in the trunk if you use the E46 non-M stuff.
    Wow! Thank you so much!
    Last edited by e30polak; 01-14-2016 at 01:37 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post

Yup, I have the Evap and all OBD2 monitors working in my E36, and it passed California's referee BAR/CARB inspection last month without any issues. My car was an OBD1 E36 as well so I had to install all of the systems and wiring to make it OBD2 and CA compliant. It didn't require any DME flashing, just some McMaster and amazon hoses, barbs, fittings, and wiring. Also a hole saw, which was fun to use but painful to cut into the car.

I don't want to clutter up Bobby's thread a ton, so I can cross post my thread/build to this subforum, or people can follow Terra's link to my thread (or in E36 M3 section here).
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    No problem man, you're not cluttering up the thread at all! You're a pioneer and I love what you've done with yours.

My Cars
    Many
    Great looking swap!

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Summer is almost here!!! Need pics/vids please!

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Sorry for the delay! Been a crazy summer but the M has been out in full effect! Having a ton of fun with it this season, and it's been running flawlessly.

Here's a quick one of my M3 doing a fly by on the highway being chased by my daily

And a few updated shots of the ol' girl!

Last edited by purduinaM3; 08-03-2016 at 10:34 PM.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    who's that mofo behind the wheel?
    -Rich-

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    What were your ET and trap speed at the drags?

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    did see fan selection being addressed.. do we use the S52 Auxillary fan? i have been reading on M3forum.net that the S54 fans are controlled be the DME.. would we need the S54 auxillary fan?

I currently have my mechanical fan deleted and im using the Bimmerworld SPAL electric fan kit.. just want to know what we need to use
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    Black
    Quote Originally Posted by TH3 Shifty View Post
    did see fan selection being addressed.. do we use the S52 Auxillary fan? i have been reading on M3forum.net that the S54 fans are controlled be the DME.. would we need the S54 auxillary fan?

I currently have my mechanical fan deleted and im using the Bimmerworld SPAL electric fan kit.. just want to know what we need to use
    E36 cooling system works just about standalone. Why not use e36 fans?

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    didnt know we could, thats why im asking.. im also keeping A/C so i wasnt sure if the S54 auxillary fan needed to be in there.. im more than happy to keep my E36 system considering everything is new on it. (mishimoto radiator, electric fan, Euro over flow)..
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    I had the same setup on my S52 and carried it over for the S54 swap. Works just fine!

Ran against an E60 M5 and F80 M3 yesterday, both with bolt ons and tunes. I let off in 5th.

My Cars
    '08 G35S, '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by purduinaM3 View Post

Ran against an E60 M5 and F80 M3 yesterday, both with bolt ons and tunes. I let off in 5th.

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqci5UDNPXU
    That's a good one, I'd be very happy with my n/a setup to be running like that!
    Infiniti G35S Turbo BMW M3/4/5 Ninja ZX6R 636
    Penn State University '08...better than your school since 1855
    Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Incorporated

UTI Class of '10, BMW "STEPchild"
    Acurazine.com Mod Squad

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    didnt know we could, thats why im asking.. im also keeping A/C so i wasnt sure if the S54 auxillary fan needed to be in there.. im more than happy to keep my E36 system considering everything is new on it. (mishimoto radiator, electric fan, Euro over flow)..
    My cooling system is all E36, incl aux fan.

I am likely going to be swapping to the Euro E36 M3 AC condenser and Aux fan though-- the US AC condenser blocks half my oil cooler while the Euro one is the same height as the rad, and allows the use of a really neat OEM oil cooler duct. This isn't an issue for DDs or casually tracked cars, but mine is sees serious track use and messing with the AC is a lot cheaper than buying a truck and trailer.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    sorry to bump your thread... but since you also did a complete rebuild, what oil did you use for break in?

... im hearing people use 10-50 dino for initial break in for the piston rings then changing to the 10-60 TWS standard M3 oil...
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast