Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: S54 swap in a tucked and shaved E36 bay

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5

S54 swap in a tucked and shaved E36 bay

After 8 years of ownership and upgrading just about every other part of the car, I decided it was finally time for some more power. Here's the bay that it will be going in:

And some pictures of my old S52 that I fully rebuilt a few years ago; planning on going a similar route with the S54.

Anyways, bringing her home...

Loaded up in the trailer

Home and on the stand

Exhaust tabs are in tact, vanos bolts weren't broken, upper timing chain guide was broken but that was to be expected. A bit of wear at the crest of the cylinder hone, but nothing that can't be fixed at the machine shop. Overall its not bad for the mileage. Planning on doing a complete rebuild within the next couple of weeks and hopefully having it in the car by mid summer! I'll keep this updated with any progress.
    Last edited by purduinaM3; 05-08-2014 at 09:10 AM.

My Cars
    Imola Euro Swap
    I like where this is going... Whats going on with the motor though? Refreshing the top and bottom end?
    Last edited by JCooper; 05-13-2014 at 12:46 AM.

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Long story short, I bought it from a guy/shop who claimed it had 90k miles on it... got it home, saw a lot more oil leaks than what an average 90k mile motor would have, so I ran a carfax on the vin, found out it had 190k. Got completely scammed and screwed over on it and I refuse to just pass it on to somebody else so I'm stuck doing a full rebuild. Shit happens, just gotta roll with the punches, not going to just give up on this dream. Definitely hurts the budget but at least I'll know that I have a freshly rebuilt S54 in there.

I'll be reusing my 5 spd for this swap. It's not a daily driver so I don't feel like the extra gear is worth the much added cost, not to mention I already have a fully built 3.46 diff that I'd probably want to upgrade to 4.10's if I had the 6 spd. They're lighter/stronger anyway from what I hear. Still haven't decided but highly considering going with the Markert Motorsports harness and tune - it seems as though it's one of the cleanest options out there and that's definitely what I'm going for with this project. Going to be using my Euro coolant tank, not installing AC (didn't have it in my S52), and Ebay headers to the BW adapter pipe for now just to get it running since I already have an AA track pipe. Oh, and CF Airbox.... is there any other option??

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Excellent. Looking forward to the progress. Great work and cool workspace!

My Cars
    Estoril Mcoupe
    Very nice

My Cars
    03 530i/5, e30 s52(Sold)
    Cant wait to see it finished. Are you going to be stroking it since you have to rebuild it anyway? Also i hope there will be a rematch in the making between you and yonkers lol. I think the outcome would be quite different with a fresh s54 underneath the hood.

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Excellent. Looking forward to the progress. Great work and cool workspace!
    Quote Originally Posted by iRodD View Post
    Very nice
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by BigC986 View Post
    Cant wait to see it finished. Are you going to be stroking it since you have to rebuild it anyway? Also i hope there will be a rematch in the making between you and yonkers lol. I think the outcome would be quite different with a fresh s54 underneath the hood.
    Just doing a stock rebuild, nothing too crazy. Doubt Yonkers will want a rematch, but I'll be happy to pull some lengths on him

My Cars
    95 M3 - 03 325i - 68 Bug
    Sigh...I guess let me load up my pics so I can get mine started.

Very eager to see it in th shaved bay since I was planning to start "trimming" mine while the motor is in the works and such. Looking good

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by SneauxM3 View Post

Very eager to see it in th shaved bay since I was planning to start "trimming" mine while the motor is in the works and such. Looking good
    Hah, same here.
    A word of Internet Forum wisdom: Disregard any advice that begins with "I've heard..."

97 M3/4 - S54, TRM Coilovers, UUC SSK/Sways/LTW Flywheel

My Cars
    BMW
    O baby can't wait to see more!

-James

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    So can't wait to see this completed! I'm a big fan of the work you've put into your car thus far, so I know the build will continue to exude the same quality.

Avusblau 1994 Euro M3 --> Journal Here
    Lagunagrün 1991 331iS-->Journal Here

My Cars
    03 530i/5, e30 s52(Sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by purduinaM3 View Post
    Thanks guys!

Just doing a stock rebuild, nothing too crazy. Doubt Yonkers will want a rematch, but I'll be happy to pull some lengths on him
    Lol i didnt want to make it that obvious but ya. This is the car the shop i go to works with. Very clean and kind of reminds me of yours. Both you guys definitely inspire me to build another great car, anyway....enjoy.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0687975&type=1

My Cars
    98 m3
    Subd.
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    BMW E36 S54 Sedan
    Subd!!!!

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Quote Originally Posted by SneauxM3 View Post

Yeah, I remember talking to you via PM about cleaning up the bay before we started talking about the S54 swap. If you have any other questions along the way just let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
    O baby can't wait to see more!

-James
    Thanks James! I'll keep it updated with any progress.

Quote Originally Posted by 3MPowered View Post
    So can't wait to see this completed! I'm a big fan of the work you've put into your car thus far, so I know the build will continue to exude the same quality.
    Appreciate that. Definitely always try to do it once, do it right with this car, and this project will be no different.

Quote Originally Posted by BigC986 View Post
    Lol i didnt want to make it that obvious but ya. This is the car the shop i go to works with. Very clean and kind of reminds me of yours. Both you guys definitely inspire me to build another great car, anyway....enjoy.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0687975&type=1
    Wow, that car is absolutely gorgeous. Definitely tastefully done!

My Cars
    Black
    My favorite car in bfc is about to get cooler. Good luck Bobby!

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Quote Originally Posted by weedshoes View Post
    My favorite car in bfc is about to get cooler. Good luck Bobby!
    Thanks man!

Not much of an update but finally had some spare time today to strip the block down to nothing.

Bearings look good for the mileage, but obviously everything will be replaced with new once it goes back together. For now, the block, head, and crank will go off to the machine shop, and the rest of the parts to powder coat. Time to clean this thing up! Also making a large parts order tomorrow at work, so hopefully next weekend there will be some build progress!

My Cars
    2002 BMW Streetcarver,
    The s54 is the perfect motor for the e36. I rode in my friends while i was out in cali last time and it screamed.

My Cars
    Imola Euro Swap
    Quote Originally Posted by purduinaM3 View Post
    Long story short, I bought it from a guy/shop who claimed it had 90k miles on it... got it home, saw a lot more oil leaks than what an average 90k mile motor would have, so I ran a carfax on the vin, found out it had 190k. Got completely scammed and screwed over on it and I refuse to just pass it on to somebody else so I'm stuck doing a full rebuild. Shit happens, just gotta roll with the punches, not going to just give up on this dream. Definitely hurts the budget but at least I'll know that I have a freshly rebuilt S54 in there.

I'll be reusing my 5 spd for this swap. It's not a daily driver so I don't feel like the extra gear is worth the much added cost, not to mention I already have a fully built 3.46 diff that I'd probably want to upgrade to 4.10's if I had the 6 spd. They're lighter/stronger anyway from what I hear. Still haven't decided but highly considering going with the Markert Motorsports harness and tune - it seems as though it's one of the cleanest options out there and that's definitely what I'm going for with this project. Going to be using my Euro coolant tank, not installing AC (didn't have it in my S52), and Ebay headers to the BW adapter pipe for now just to get it running since I already have an AA track pipe. Oh, and CF Airbox.... is there any other option??
    Damn, that really sucks but look on the good side now. Your starting fresh which is better then some 90k donor. Especially since you now know the condition of the internals....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 3MPowered View Post
    This!
    Last edited by JCooper; 05-13-2014 at 02:56 AM.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Sub'd

My Cars
    2002 bmw 330ci
    Great recovery bud ! Subed

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I like what I'm seeing here. In for more goosebumps.

My Cars
    97 BMW M3
    Dude, awesome. Subscribed, looking to see what this thing can do done right.
    Current:
    '97 E36 M3 Track/Street Silver Coupe
    '03 325XI AW Sedan
    Prev:
    '02 E46 M3 Active Autowerke Stage 3.5 S/C'd IR/IR Coupe

My Cars
    S54 and S62
    Good work. Reminds me of mine!

And I know exactly how you feel about the motor turning out to be a total turd despite the seller/shop saying it was clean and had lower miles etc. I literally had the SAME experience.
    To add insult to injury I paid extra for that motor/trans combo since the seller seemed like a trustworthy/fellow bimmerphile and I thought I'd rather give him my business then some random person on ebay or something...

Anyways sorry for the rant. Have fun with the rebuild!
    Current:
    Alpine White E46 325i Touring S54 6MT
    Titanium Silver E39 540i Touring M-Sport S62 6MT

Past:
    Alpine White E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
    Interlagos Blue E85 Z4 M Roadster 6MT
    Le Mans Blue E92 M3 6MT
    Japan Red E46 325i Touring S54 6MT
    Estoril Blue Individual E46 M3 Coupe 6MT
    Cosmos Black E36 M3 Coupe S54 6MT
    Alpine White E92 M3 6MT
    Alpine White E90 M3 6MT